PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to buy a bow

cowboy-up69
12-30-2005, 03:25 AM
Hey every one
Im jus starting out bowhunting...I want to buy a cheap, beginners bow. Anyone got any ideas??
Whats the price range for a a cheap beginners bow? Any tips, suggestions or anything on a bow I should get?
Well let me know, thanks!
Cliff

sealevel
12-30-2005, 09:15 AM
how cheap cowboy where you live you are a long way from a shop so a trip to the big city is your only aption or if you know what you want ebay has some good deals on cheaper bows.

Fred
12-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Different makers have deals every year. This past season Martin had a complete package set up for hunters that was a bit under $400 IIRC. Let your fingers do the walking and ask around a bit. Fred

J_T
12-30-2005, 11:08 AM
Depending on how much time you are going to attribute to practise. I assume you are thinking compound bow? If you get into Abbotsford, go see Hub Sports. They have a decent selection. IF you want to go traditional (more time shooting required) call Chek-Mate in Abbotsford.

If you are going to hunt with the bow, I would recommend you connect with an IBEP instructor and look into taking the course.

I would also suggest making contact with a 3D archery club in your area and attend the shoots. There is a good club in Merrit and in Logan Lake. There is an excellent 3D shoot in the Rock Cr area every year.

JT

Nails
12-30-2005, 01:40 PM
If you know anyone who shoots or hunts with a bow. Get in touch with them. Most bowhunters or archers are more then willing to give you some good info and also they may have a good beginners bow. Like JT says get involed in some shoots and take the IBEP.

Dayto
12-30-2005, 03:33 PM
If you can find a used a PSE Thunderbolt($300 range) , I think that would the do the trick for ya , great for learning and no need to up-grade for hunting ..

sealevel
12-30-2005, 04:54 PM
right now there is a pretty good brand new high country on ebay with rest sights quiver 372 bucks can. 17 hours left http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7206970991&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 hell of a starter

cowboy-up69
12-31-2005, 03:13 AM
Thanks guys! I have looked at a few, but not buyin just yet, wait another month or two...But thanks for the info...Deffinately gunna look into goin to 3d shoots and such!!!

Cliff

Walksalot
12-31-2005, 08:03 AM
Get you draw lenth determined before you purchase a bow or you might spend money and end up with nothing. Do not get a bow which has to much draw weight as you will need to practice to become proficient and practice should not be an ordeal in grunting a bow to full draw. A certified instructor or a knowledgable dealer can help you in this quest.

Crossbow- Doesn't need the practice required of a compound or traditional bow but one has to still become proficient in guesstimating distance.

Compound- Needs more practice than a crossbow but when one get the basics of form down pat one doesn't have to practice as much. One has to be proficient in guesstimating distance

Traditional- Steeper learning curve than compound or crossbow as one has to learn to shoot with fingers and become proficient in the skill of instinctive shooting. These bows demand a commitment to practice and a dedication to constant practice to become and remain proficient with this weapon. One has to have shot enough to get a feel for the trajecory of the arrow over guesstimated distances. If I didn't have so many hobbies and could dedicate myself to the practice required to become and remain proficient with this weapon I would be traditional in a heart beat.

islandhunter
12-31-2005, 10:23 AM
i have a pse thunderbolt with all the accessories for $350. its got a 29" draw and is 60# pull. its in excellent shape.

JohnS
01-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Here is a great site for all of us to check out for all kinds of gear! i bought stuff from here and its all pretty well brand new stuff! www.archerytalk.com (http://www.archerytalk.com) and the site does have a lot of good memeber's and a classified ads colum. Bought a Mathews off there for 300.00. have a look LOL tru-glo site with led 30 bucks new in package :wink: **cheers** thats just a couple things i got.... lots of dealers selling 2005 models for cheap right now