PDA

View Full Version : 9.9 hp oil injection outboard motor

city hunter
09-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Hi There I have a question needs you guys help,I just bought a used 2 stoke suzuki 9.9 hp oil injection outboard motor (my old one has dead ),The problem is I still have 20 litters mixed gas lefted and the suzuki one is oil injection it means I don't have to premix it myself. the point is Can I just used the mixed gas( left the oil tank empty, NO 2 stoke oil in it) so it won't mix by itself,will it works ? or will it harm for the 2 stoke oil pump because No oil for it to pump,anyone has the experience like this ?any help would be appreciated,thanks a lot !!!

09-16-2009, 06:43 AM
Phone call to boat motor shop would give you an answer.......be a shame to get bad advice on a chat site and end up with a second pooched engine.

lip_ripper00
09-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Hi There I have a question needs you guys help,I just bought a used 2 stoke suzuki 9.9 hp oil injection outboard motor (my old one has dead ),The problem is I still have 20 litters mixed gas lefted and the suzuki one is oil injection it means I don't have to premix it myself. the point is Can I just used the mixed gas( left the oil tank empty, NO 2 stoke oil in it) so it won't mix by itself,will it works ? or will it harm for the 2 stoke oil pump because No oil for it to pump,anyone has the experience like this ?any help would be appreciated,thanks a lot !!!

do not run the oil pump dry, If it was me I would dump the mixed fuel in to my car and add 20ltrs of freah gas on top, and start fresh with the outboard

city hunter
09-16-2009, 02:35 PM
do not run the oil pump dry, If it was me I would dump the mixed fuel in to my car and add 20ltrs of freah gas on top, and start fresh with the outboard
You mean I can use 20 litters of mixed fuel for my car ??? is there any problem with mixed fuel and pure fuel together ? if it works that would be great for me.thanks!!!

ferndogger
09-16-2009, 02:39 PM
you can put the pre-mix in your car if you "water" it down with more gas. Do it when your tank is almost empty then, fill er up . You should be good to go.

landphil
09-16-2009, 02:48 PM
You mean I can use 20 litters of mixed fuel for my car ??? is there any problem with mixed fuel and pure fuel together ? if it works that would be great for me.thanks!!!

Don't do it - unless you like buying expensive catalytic converters and oxygen sensors! - you would be better off running it in your outboard WITH oil in the injection tank - a little smokey but will cause no damage - top it up with as much straight gas as you can fit and your good to go - just don't idle all day without opening it up a little. This is the break-in procedure for a new oil-injected engine anyway. But don't run it in a car unless it's old enough to have a carb and no cat.

city hunter
09-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Don't do it - unless you like buying expensive catalytic converters and oxygen sensors! - you would be better off running it in your outboard WITH oil in the injection tank - a little smokey but will cause no damage - top it up with as much straight gas as you can fit and your good to go - just don't idle all day without opening it up a little. This is the break-in procedure for a new oil-injected engine anyway. But don't run it in a car unless it's old enough to have a carb and no cat.
I got it,thanks alot!!!

city hunter
09-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Need Help...I put the whole bottle of 2 stoke oil into internal tank of motor and used the pure gasoline,when I pulled to start , it's running for 4 second and stop right away,No matter how hard I try to pulled,it wasn't start again,So I drained out all of 2 stoke oil from internal oil tank and hooked up with premixed fuel(I used it before ) then it started again....I don't understand what the hell of oil injection meants ? should be just pure gasoline and put 2 stoke oil into the interal oil tank of motor then it'll mix by itself but when I did,it didn't work,Now I am using the premixed fuel and left the internal 2 stoke oil tank empty and dry pump,anyone can help me ????,what should I do Now,thanks a lot.

city hunter
09-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Any help pls......

longshot
09-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Well I just talked to the top mechanic (my dad) and we have gathered up some info for you. From what I understand you have two tanks, one for oil and one for gas (89 octane is best).

If you can only run with your premix, your pump is not running or it's most likely plugged. TAKE IT APART and CLEAN everything. Best solvent to use is pure gas even in the oil passages. Make sure all passages are clear of obstructions and clean out the carb. While you're doing this, change the spark plugs (use only the plugs specified for that motor), you most likely are a 2 cylinder considering you're a 9.9hp.

The reason why you don't run when you use the oil injection system, is because you have no oil pumping in the engine (pump not running or some where is plugged from sitting oil over long periods of improper storage).

Any time you store a outboard, all tanks should be empty, and the remaining oil and gas mix in the carb lined should be used up. (empty tank(s) and fire up motor to burn any excess mix).

Hopefully this helps you out.

Longshot jr.

city hunter
09-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Well I just talked to the top mechanic (my dad) and we have gathered up some info for you. From what I understand you have two tanks, one for oil and one for gas (89 octane is best).

If you can only run with your premix, your pump is not running or it's most likely plugged. TAKE IT APART and CLEAN everything. Best solvent to use is pure gas even in the oil passages. Make sure all passages are clear of obstructions and clean out the carb. While you're doing this, change the spark plugs (use only the plugs specified for that motor), you most likely are a 2 cylinder considering you're a 9.9hp.

The reason why you don't run when you use the oil injection system, is because you have no oil pumping in the engine (pump not running or some where is plugged from sitting oil over long periods of improper storage).

Any time you store a outboard, all tanks should be empty, and the remaining oil and gas mix in the carb lined should be used up. (empty tank(s) and fire up motor to burn any excess mix).

Hopefully this helps you out.

Longshot jr. (Heavily knowledged in mechanics from THE expert (my dad))
I think you are right,So can I just use the premix fuel instead of pure gasoline and 2 stroke oil ? Because when I used the premix gasoline and the motor was running ,or I can put some premix fuel into the 2 stroke oil tank let it pump and it won't dry pump if the pump not out of order,what would you and Dad think ?thank you so much for your reply.

longshot
09-19-2009, 05:32 PM
I think you are right,So can I just use the premix fuel instead of pure gasoline and 2 stroke oil ? Because when I used the premix gasoline and the motor was running ,or I can put some premix fuel into the 2 stroke oil tank let it pump and it won't dry pump if the pump not out of order,what would you and Dad think ?thank you so much for your reply.

My dad and I just discussed about your outboard. Here's some info for ya'.

Option 1-Try to clear oil passages

Put some "premix in both tanks for "3" runs (run it for 4-5minutes, turn it off for 4-5minutes, run it, turn it off, run it, turn it off) to clean out oil passages. Mark gas level in the "oil tank" so after you run it, you will be able to tell if there is any flow being created by the oil pump (if gas level goes down, pump is creating somewhat of a flow, if level doesn't go down pump is not pumping and you MUST use option 2).

Option 2- (What we would do and recommend): Turn it into a premix outboard

TAKE THE STUPID PILE-A-JUNK NO GOOD OIL INJECTION PUMP OUT!

Take out the pump and oil tank and block any remaining oil lines attached to the motor and just use a premix. This way you don't have to worry about some stupid pump burning out when you're out in the marsh. (Don't forget, one broken part leads to another, and another, and so on..)

Now you have a true oil to gas mix, your premix (having a pump will never give you proper gas-oil ratio) My dad and I never liked those oil injection things. They always seem to be the first anchor of outboards.

You CAN NOT just leave the pump running dry or put premix in the oil tank (exept to clear out the passages in option 1). The pump needs pure oil to keep cool and lubed up or else it'll burn out and break a whole bunch of other things along with it.

We hope this helps without confusing you!

Longshot jr.

city hunter
09-19-2009, 08:54 PM
My dad and I just discussed about your outboard. Here's some info for ya'.

Option 1-Try to clear oil passages

Put some "premix in both tanks for "3" runs (run it for 4-5minutes, turn it off for 4-5minutes, run it, turn it off, run it, turn it off) to clean out oil passages. Mark gas level in the "oil tank" so after you run it, you will be able to tell if there is any flow being created by the oil pump (if gas level goes down, pump is creating somewhat of a flow, if level doesn't go down pump is not pumping and you MUST use option 2).

Option 2- (What we would do and recommend): Turn it into a premix outboard

TAKE THE STUPID PILE-A-JUNK NO GOOD OIL INJECTION PUMP OUT!

Take out the pump and oil tank and block any remaining oil lines attached to the motor and just use a premix. This way you don't have to worry about some stupid pump burning out when you're out in the marsh. (Don't forget, one broken part leads to another, and another, and so on..)

Now you have a true oil to gas mix, your premix (having a pump will never give you proper gas-oil ratio) My dad and I never liked those oil injection things. They always seem to be the first anchor of outboards.

You CAN NOT just leave the pump running dry or put premix in the oil tank (exept to clear out the passages in option 1). The pump needs pure oil to keep cool and lubed up or else it'll burn out and break a whole bunch of other things along with it.

We hope this helps without confusing you!

Longshot jr.Hey Longshot I really appreciated you and your dad helpful info that gave me some idea what I should do Now,you're my hero,I owe you a big time,thanks again and again:biggrin:.city hunter

FLHTCUI
12-13-2009, 08:36 AM

cityhunter, the only thing to worry about is if you where to go through aircare with that 20L of mixed gas....You likely would get some higher idle test results.
You can even run it in the susuki with the autolube setup.
It is going to run rich is all, but if you are really concerned use half of your premixed and top up with straight fuel and keep your two stroke oil topped up in the reserve tank.
I have ran premixed outboard gas in my F-150 with no problems.
Just my .02 opinion and having not read the two pages of advice before offering this.
Rob

mtnmax
12-13-2009, 08:59 AM
the reason the motor stopped running was not because of the oil injection, don't be using the pre-mix, use the motor how it was intended, oil injection systems change the ratio of mix at different rpm, go get a tune up done at a shop, you probly just got some dirt in the carbs or something simple,,,