PDA

View Full Version : Winter Clothing ?

rambo
12-27-2005, 11:34 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been surfing this forum for almost a year as guest. I recently joined the forum, but I never introduced myself. I live in lower mainland. I've had my hunting license for two years now. So far I haven't gotten anything big, except some ducks. I went out to Lillooet area three times this year for deer, but got skunked everytime. Anyways, I've picked up some good tips from this site to help me next year.

I want to purchase some decent winter clothing (jacket & pants) that will keep me warm in -10C to -20C temp. Which insulation material would be best for this condition? For example: wool, fleece, thinsulate, and etc..

Thanks.

Islandeer
12-28-2005, 12:48 AM
Hey Rambo, Layering is the key to staying comfy out doors. I like a base poly long sleeve,then a wool stanfield followed by either a fleece hoody or thinsulate parka depending on the temp and my exertion level. On the bottom,poly long johns and either wool pants or fleece. I am a bit behind in my fabrics,there is a weath of new stuff available...hope this helps and welcome.

12-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Welcome to the forum! Like Islandeer says layering is the way to go. Its not so much the particular clothes as the ability to be able to add or remove them as hunting situations change. I find some of the newer "state of the art" materials are great when my movements are very limited, but tend to overheat when moving around. l wonder about the terms "breathable" and "waterproof" as l have a few clothes of this nature, and have had them soaked from both rain and body perspiration.....
l usually wear something warm (cotton/wool) on bottom with the next layer being windproof and fleece over top. On day hunts the tinsulate, gortex lined hoodie is in the day pack.

sealevel
12-28-2005, 09:51 AM
I like wool layers with fleece outer shell some of the new fabrics are good but when the going gets tough and wet i like wool.

rrfred
12-28-2005, 10:10 AM
bit of a traditionalist here, like the cotton then wool to start,will go for the high tech if waterproof is needed, layers do the trick can always peel one and put it in the pack,wool still keeps you warm when wet, gortex and polar fleece are great as well. for foot wear in the snow, tough to beat the fleece lined winter boots. be mindful of the saftey tip to dress/prepare for the expected overnite low. cheers

BCKID
12-28-2005, 10:29 AM
I've gone back to as much wool as I can wear. I tried the base layer stuff and found I was warmer in wool. I agree with the layering tho. Ono Trading has some good wool pants but they are not camo. Not a bad $$. I can't remember how much they are tho. I wear wool pants/wool undershirt/stansfield/wool jacket. You can get some heavy wool jackets at 3 Vets for about $200.00 They look like the Filson type. BCKID

rambo
12-28-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys. I did layer up this winter, but I used cotton for layering, and I was freezing my a** off.

I did get some wool undershirts/longjohns. I was more worried about outer layers. Since I already have a waterproof gear, I think I will get some wool pants and jacket from cabelas.

CanuckShooter
12-29-2005, 08:13 AM
When it gets cold....wear goose down....it's way better than any thinsulate type material you'll find.

scouterjames
03-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Cotton is terrible for cold weather. Doesn't insulate and wicks away body heat to boot. Air is the best insulator which is why fleece and wool work so well, as the thick fabric traps lots of air. Love my wool pants. Stays warm when damp, lots of pockets, super quiet when walking and not fashionable at all! Also, a good breathable water proof outer layer is great for wind and rain.

BlacktailStalker
03-01-2011, 09:31 AM
As said, layers.
Quality Merino wool is tops IMO, maybe a nice warm vest on top of your long sleeve layers (nice to have more warmth around your core and maneuverability in your arms with a bit less) and finally, a quality waterproof shell for when it is wet.
Your outer shell is best NOT insulated so you can add it remove it as needed (and often frequently)