PDA

View Full Version : Archery shops

bsa30-06
12-24-2005, 05:06 PM
we have alot of bow hunters on this site , so i was hoping some of you might have some web site addresses of some of the local shops (lower mainland area).I would like to take a look at some of these sites and get an idea of what some of the equipment might cost.Thanxs for your help guys.

sealevel
12-24-2005, 05:17 PM
http://www.nationalarcherysupply.com/`here is were i order from very good prices if you arn`t in a hurry. I have never found a wedsite for a bc shop.

bsa30-06
12-24-2005, 06:03 PM
I've been looking on line @ the browning rage one compound can anybody offer an opinion on this bow.?

sealevel
12-24-2005, 06:15 PM
I haven`t had anything to do with the rage but i have shot the illusion witch is a very sweet shooting bow but a lot more money.

Cappy
12-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Check out the Calgary Archery Centre.....they ship just about anywhere and are tough to beat price wise

ex bc guide
12-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Specialty shooting sports here in Langley.ph# 604-533-9290
Mike

greybark
12-24-2005, 07:45 PM
:smile: Hey BSA , For Modern and Traditional archery you have Hubsports in Abbotsford at 604 859 6316 They have a large selection of bows and equipment. They are more than willing to talk evan over the phone and have knowledgeable staff (Dusty`s back and they now have Dale Reilly ).
:grin: For Traditional archery I recommend Windfeather Archery Traditions .They are in Cranbrook and are worth the effort to contact them, Monty Evan @ 250 4268565 , windfeather@uniserve.com
:grin: Good Luck on your Archery ventures !!!!!

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

bsa30-06
12-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Thanxs greybark, I'm still in the learning stages and will probably take some lessons in the new year.I'm still trying to figure out what all the bits and pieces do i'm going to have to try to get together with somebody and have them explain what all the different parts do and learn the proper terminology so i dont sound like an idiot when i'm looking for a bow.

ex bc guide
12-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Hubs will have a great boxing day sale,you should try and get to it, lots of deals,
Mike

ruger#1
12-24-2005, 10:43 PM
hey Grey when did dusty get back, I'm glad he is there, Travis helps allot to. some of the new guys arnt to helpful.

Fred
12-24-2005, 11:49 PM
There is also Boormans in New West! 8) Fred

plumbob
12-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Go into abbotsford to hub sports and talk to roger as he's a great guy with lots of knowledge.

bsa30-06
12-25-2005, 11:02 AM
What brand (make,model) of bow do you guys recommend,any bows i should stay away from.?

Bow Walker
12-25-2005, 11:22 AM
Mike and/or Rhonda will be able to help you out. Great advice (without trying to sell you something just ot get rid of it) great products, and Mike really knows his stuff. Rhonda is no slouch either.

This is their email address. They used to have a website, but I lost the link when my 'puter got dropped on the tile floor. Good luck.

ssso@telus.net

sealevel
12-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Bsa 30-06 it just depends how much you want to spend every one makes good bows bowtec hoyt have a lower line of bows that will shoot better then most shooters. PSE and martin make more econemy bows but still good shooters but shoot as many as you can.

Fred
12-25-2005, 04:56 PM
What brand (make,model) of bow do you guys recommend,any bows i should stay away from.?
Go to any of the aforementioned bowshops and ask to try a couple of different bows to see what fits you and what you like(looks and feel wise). If they won't help you then go to another one. Archery is one of those disiplines where fit and feel is quite important. Also check out a few other Archery Websites. To start you out in that direction might I recommend www.davewatson.com (http://www.davewatson.com) (cliclk on community). Several of us here also hang out there because of the quality of that site and its "community", BOOC! :wink: Fred

bsa30-06
12-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Well i went out to specialty shooting sports today but they are closed until jan.5(will be open again on jan.6).I also went to boormans and signed up for some lessons,and talked to them about the browning rage one compound from what they told me this is a very popular bow,and also found out that pse bought out browning.Well hopefully after these lessons i'll understand a little more about some of these different bows.

Fred
12-27-2005, 10:56 PM
An excellent start BSA. In no time a-tall you will be outshooting a lot of us! ;-) Fred

Jetboater
12-28-2005, 10:16 AM
BSA
I highly recommend buying from Hub sports as they will give you the best price on the market, and great service afterward, they never charge extra on little things like serving in peep sights and that kinda stuff.they stand behind their bows also , if something happens during hunting season to your bow you can expect to have a new one in your hand or a loaner right away.
Talk to Wendy Meyer at big game archery about lessons,she has been instructing for a long time and really know s how not to put people under pressure to shoot well. most instructors teach you how to shoot tight groups, she teaches you the fundamentals of proper form and many other important shooting skills.

FullDraw
12-28-2005, 02:18 PM
bsa30-06 I would got to boormans he has lots of bows to choose from he has been in the field for many years and has his own archery school as well if you are thinking of taking lessons. He has a web site as well. If your interested you are welcome to come out and shoot with us at the semiahmoo fish and game club.

FullDraw

bsa30-06
12-28-2005, 05:05 PM
hey fulldraw i just might take you up on that but i thinl i'll learn a little more before i start doing things like that (dont want to look to dumb).I did sign up for lessons while i was at boormans hopefully they will teach enough of the basics to get me started, lessons start on jan 8 looking forward to getting started.I still need to learn what some parts and pieces are called and what they do, but i guess that will come with time.

FullDraw
12-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Don't be shy we get newbies at the club all the time, I might be able to swing you into Traditional Archery!:-) Boorman will get you headed in the right direction. You might want to check out the royal city archers as well as the burnaby archers as well. If you need any help let me know & GooD LucK!

FullDraw

bsa30-06
12-29-2005, 11:06 PM
o.k guys i'm getting pretty familiar with some of the different bows out their , what i need to now know is what are some of the better sites and rests that are available,and what you more experienced guys would or would not recomend ,and prices. Thanxs for the help guys.

Fred
12-30-2005, 12:31 AM
If you read a bunch of the older Archery posts you will pick up quite a few tips as to what does or does not work and what some guys like best.
IIRC, there was a thread about what each member uses and how they are set up. Fred

sealevel
12-30-2005, 01:14 AM
bsa-30-06 what do you want to do mostly hunt for a beginner then i would recomend a wisker bisqer rest and a copper john sight. pardon my spelling

Fred
12-30-2005, 01:26 AM
Whisker Biscuit! :biggrin: It's easier to say when you have the old package handy!! ;-)
I use that and the Copper Johns Dead Nuts 5 Pin site and a Trufire release. Fred

FullDraw
12-30-2005, 08:13 AM
Are you looking for a hunting bow or a target bow? doesn't matter I haven't shot compound for years and I don't follow the modren archery tackle anymore. I would follow fred's advise & I would get ahold of walksalot or I call him talksalot:razz: he seems to be the compound guy on this site.

FullDraw

BC4Bowhunter
12-30-2005, 11:20 PM
BSA
I would recommend to get a bow that fits you and start out simple such as whisker biscuit and a cobra venom sights. Biscuit runs between $40-$60 and the venom sights are about $35-$45. Get out and start shooting a bow and work on form and consistency first. Once you can shoot consistent and you are comfortable with your bow then start to play with better sights and rests. You may want to go with a fallaway rest such as a trophy taker or trophy ridge drop zone both run around the $100 mark. Copper John make a good sight as well as spott hogg and trophy ridge and run between $75-$175. Everyone is going to have an opinion on what products are good and bad. You can always play around and try new things with your bow. Isn't that what christmas and birthdays are for?:biggrin: :tongue: :wink:

BC4Bowhunter

Thunderstix
12-30-2005, 11:25 PM
"IF" I were to slide back over to the "dark side"::grin: of archery and pick up another wheelie bow, I would spend the extra $$ and get a Muzzy Zero Effect rest. I had one on my compound and it rocked.

sealevel
12-30-2005, 11:29 PM
bc4bowhunter did you get that trykon on your avator or is it just a dream i have been waiting for mine:roll:

BC4Bowhunter
12-31-2005, 10:08 AM
I got that Trykon a week ago. You don't know what your missing Sealevel:biggrin:

sealevel
12-31-2005, 10:18 AM
did you get it from outdoor store i am waiting for an xl

BC4Bowhunter
12-31-2005, 10:28 AM
No I didn't. I got mine from Calgary Archery. I was going to get the XL but they told me the XL s were going to be another two weeks. I'm still getting use to it. Those zephyr cams have steep ramp to the valley but shoots very smooth. At the moment it still a toss up whether I will use the Trykon for 3D or hunting. I still love to shoot my Razortec.

BC4Bowhunter

sealevel
12-31-2005, 04:32 PM
is that you andy

BC4Bowhunter
01-01-2006, 09:03 PM
You betcha Merv