PDA

View Full Version : Deep Fried Holiday Turkey

wetcoastwillie
12-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi,

I'm going to Deep Fry my turkey this year... Has anyone done this?

Any tips or tricks?

Any good marinade recipes? (for injecting)

Any good rub recipes?

LOC
12-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Make sure you know how much oil to add, put the turkey in the pot and fill with water, mark the water line, then dump. First time we tried it we didn't do this and we were short oil.

We don't add any rub or marinade - doesn't really need it.

The only other tip is watch for splatter when you pull the bird out - its hot! ;-)

They have always been the best birds we've made - always juicy..

g'luck with it!

Merry Christmas,
Lee

greybark
12-24-2005, 04:53 PM
:grin: Hey westcoastwillie , The TBBC does three turkeys at the same time each year for our Rendell Ck Dinner and they go over very well !!!!
I did`t do them but the weight of bird , temp of oil and timing is all you need to know . Good luck !!!!

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

ex bc guide
12-24-2005, 05:14 PM
We deep fry ours as well they are pretty tasty,
Mike

Dayto
12-24-2005, 09:24 PM
I look forward to every hunting trip for the deep fried Turkey... by far better then an oven cooked bird , and twice as fun watching .. lol

ex bc guide
12-24-2005, 10:06 PM
I must agree with you on this one Dayto,
Mike

Barracuda
12-24-2005, 10:12 PM
all i have ever heard are good things about the deep fried turkey .
perhaps i will do one in the new year when the turkey is going for blow out prices .

ex bc guide
12-24-2005, 10:14 PM
It cooks real fast,20lb bird takes about 1 hour.
Mike

lip_ripper00
12-24-2005, 10:22 PM
all i have ever heard are good things about the deep fried turkey .
perhaps i will do one in the new year when the turkey is going for blow out prices .
I was just thinking the same thing I have 11 peaple for brunch and 20+ for dinner tomorrow night. Not the time to try something different:-P Steve

Jager
12-24-2005, 11:25 PM
I've seen it done once. The chef (my cousin) put on a rub....it just burnt on the outside of the bird...I wouldn't recomend it. Also, we never thought about how to get the turkey out of a vat of boiling oil...we didn't have the proper rig you see in the kits ( the rack you impail the turkey on) and when the turkey was cooked the meat just sort of fell off the carcass as we tried to poke it with a bbq skewer. Of course the whole dynamic of the holiday meal was altered. Instead of all the ladies running arround the kitchen with all the cooking smells drifting through the house, it was all the guys standing outside in the driveway drinking beer wondering what we could deep fry next. Good luck....I hope you have as much fun as I did.

mrdoog
12-24-2005, 11:59 PM
We cooked 2 turkeys this way for a family re-union, very quick, very tasty.
As was mentioned by greybark, watch the oil temp.
We found the oil temp goes down when the turkey is plunged into the fryer, someone sober has to watch the temp. We didn't fiddle too much with the regulator. We let the temp climb on it's own.
Always put the turkey on the hanger, place the turkey into the fryer, fill the fryer with water to the proper level.
Remove the turkey, mark the level of the water, that is how much oil you will need.
Dry the fryer, and the turkey (inside and out). Remember any water will splatter in the hot oil.
Enjoy!

wetcoastwillie
12-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Well the deep fried bird was a big hit! And delicious!

Took 1/2 hr to cook!!!!

No rub, but i did inject it with beer (that's the redneck in me) butter and garlic.

Did i mention tender... and juicy!!!

I'll definatly do that again.... mabey for new years.

Merry christmass all and happy 2006!