PDA

View Full Version : Grouse help...

newbiegunnerjake
09-07-2009, 01:36 AM
My dad moved up to Hope last year and got his license and I'm awaiting mine in the mail... we want to start off close to his place and wondering how to find grouse and what would be the best rifle to use. .22? shotgun? any advice would be greatly appreciated. hope I can get out before the end of the season...

Crazy.kayaker
09-07-2009, 07:28 AM
.22 of the S/L or LR will drop a grouse just fine as long as you can hit the animal. As for a shotgun 12 gauge all the way down to .410 will get a grouse. Many people will also shoot grouse with their main hunting rifles so they don't have to pack around a second firearm. So what ever you have will work. I personally will be using my .22 LR or my 28 Gauge SxS. As for where I'll let a local help you more but if you go up most FSRs in the area and do some walking you should come across a few.

Good lucks
CK

BearStump
09-07-2009, 08:10 AM
I've been using my mossberg 702 semi-auto .22 for a few years now and I love it as a grouse gun after a little while I clued in that the only good shot is a head shot. anywhere but the head and good luck finding those suckers in the woods. I find it rewarding to know that I can consistantly hit that 2" target from 25, 40, 50 + yrds. anybody can hit a bird on the ground with a shotgun. always remember to think about whats behind that bird and where your bullet will end up after it goes through.

Cheers

newbiegunnerjake
09-07-2009, 10:55 AM
good tips guys... I heard something about gravel roads and being able to find grouse there. can you just shoot at the side of the forest service road? I was leaning towards a .22 anyway... i used to be on a range team so I hope i can still get a good shot off.

Shooter
09-07-2009, 11:03 AM
They tend to like little creeks also. Again be aware of whats behind them. Bad idea shooting staight down a stretch of fsr. You never know when a guy or vehicle may round the corner. You are better off trying to get to the other side of the road as them and taking an angled shot at them so the bullet won't fly straight down the road.

BearStump
09-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Yes you can shoot 'em on the gravel roads, just be careful and dont shoot from the truck.
I've always seen the most grouse between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm (midday) on nice sunny days in sept. good time since thats the slow time for every other game animal.

skibum
09-07-2009, 11:23 AM
just got back from playing with the 10/22 - for about 50 rounds eight grouse sat about 30 yards in the opposite direction in an opening. Eventually had to send dog after them as the thought of them sitting there was bugging me.

Three more days, three more days

MikeH
09-07-2009, 03:39 PM
22 or .410 are the best.I use a .410 right now.I carry the .410 with me I don't waste my match grade ammo on grouse.Sunny days are ideal they will be found on edges of roads they love clover.They are found on trails ,in the middle of the bush, all over just get out and walk. good hunting:)