PDA

View Full Version : silhouettes vs full body decoys

darrin6109
09-02-2009, 08:17 AM
As a new waterfowler and as many of you know its not cheap to get started (gun,boat,etc) my question is ....should i go out and buy 2 dozen silhouettes vs 6-12 full body dekes? I am leaning towards silouhettes for three reasons....price, portability and quantity? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Darrin

NoLimit99
09-02-2009, 08:31 AM
As a new waterfowler and as many of you know its not cheap to get started (gun,boat,etc) my question is ....should i go out and buy 2 dozen silhouettes vs 6-12 full body dekes? I am leaning towards silouhettes for three reasons....price, portability and quantity? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Darrin

Well take it from me last year I was new and tryed out the silouhettes they work but no were near as good as full body. If you are talking about silouhette ducks then I would recommend you buy a dozen full body floaters for only $29 right now. As for goose decoys look on craigslist you can get lucky some times and if you dont mind driving check the craigslist seattle and you will find alot like I did. It doesn't pay to always go cheap. If you can only afford 6 deeks this year buy them and use them then next year buy another 6 or 12 build to your collection like most of us have done.

Happy hunting. Be safe.

dutchie
09-02-2009, 08:34 AM
well Deeks are great... what is really going to bring the birds in from a greater distance is the calls...

Back in the 1950's they use to use a 1/2 a tire with something sticking out for a head and the birds would flare well within shooting distance because they are not actual birds... Birds were killed just as much as today back in the 50's

Some swear by Sillohettes, and some by full bodies and some only have DSD's.

The fact of the matter is that if you can't call a bird they will not come in like you want them too.

I would personally recomend full bodies because that looks like a real bird. There is a guide in Alberta and all he uses is Sillohettes and is very very successfull with them.

Go with a good call, learn to use it and spend the rest of the money on deeks or silo's.

I have hunted over both and too each is thier own. But a good full body like Crazy Farmer has is $75-100 each (DSD) I believe his avatar is a deek not a real bird... with his Deeks it is way too tough to tell them apart, and that is why they are soo much.

I have GHG Fully Flocked Full bodies and they are about $50 a piece and I think that they look really damn good, but it is no DSD and Qwaa-Honn has some 300 pro Silo's and a bunch more full bodies and some shells but he mainly uses the Silo's.

It is personal preferance for what deek you use. But the call is the NUMBER 1 thing beside a guns and ammo.IMHO

Dutchie

Crazy_Farmer
09-02-2009, 07:17 PM
This early season, if you're where the birds want to be, use very little calling, if they start to skip or slide off just a little bit more speed or aggression should bring them back inline. There'll be days when you wont even have to pick up a call. If the birds want in it wont matter if you're blowing a kazoo or a 150 dollar call.

Theres a whole group of guys eastcoast who only run silos, pretty much anyone under sean mann who is sponsored by real geese, thats all they run, they go for numbers and size of spread, whereas west coast guys seem to go for more smaller spreads with more realism. It just depends what you've found to work in your area the best. Theres no special number of decoys or which company to buy to just instanly start killing geese, it can take time, alot of days afield with no birds to show for. But after awhile everything will start to come together.

Its the learning curve, and thats why some are more reluctant to give up locations or info on where or how they hunt.

Sorry for the rant but if I was you depending where you are hunting out in the marsh or in a field, a couple dozen silos will do just fine. But fullbodies or shells can work just as good. Its up to how you use them.

Most important list.

1.Location and Hide are tied for 1st
2.Decoy Spread
3.Calling
4.What you ate for breakfast
5.What colour hoodie you where underneath.

mattchu_19
09-02-2009, 07:46 PM
I heard if you wear a black hoodie you will kill more geese, is that true CF.

Crazy_Farmer
09-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Yes, but the killing power that the black hoodie had for so many years has slightly worn off plus the birds can sense when theres a professional in the field with a black hoodie on so more and more are running brown hoodies now to compensate.

Same as decoys for hoodies, its a personal preference some people wear black, some wear brown, others t-shirts, some people where under armour. But it all gets the job done.

f350ps
09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Holy Sh%t I never knew about the Hoodie thing, I got a gray one will that work?? K

Crazy_Farmer
09-02-2009, 08:51 PM
I think so K. Its a little old school but that a good thing. Shows you have expierence. lol Pm sent.

Qwa-honn
09-02-2009, 10:52 PM
You will also have to take into consideration what do you have room for? Will you pretty much be able to drive out to where you are going to hunt? Or are you going to have to hump it in? That is why alot of guys carry a variety. If you have the room and can drive into all your fields be it by truck or qaud full bodies may be for you but some place you may have to walk things in.That is where I love my silo's. On carry pack carries four dozen decoys. And remember it can be a little bit of a walk to the X. So you may have a layout,gun,blind bag silo's then you gotta pack out you birds after it is all done.(hopefully)

darrin6109
09-03-2009, 07:44 AM
thanks for all the info!
Darrin