PDA

View Full Version : Ptarmigan

Crazy.kayaker
08-30-2009, 04:20 PM
So I know where to go to hunt Grouse, Chuckar and most other upland birds. The one I don't know is Ptarmigan. Does anyone in know where I could find some? I'm in Region 3, Kamloops to be exact so the Far north isn't really an option for an easy overnight trip. Any help would be appreciated as I really would like to try one of them since all the others birds taste so good.

Cheers
CK

tomahawk
08-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Alpine and sub-alpine country

Crazy.kayaker
08-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Alpine and sub-alpine country

I've been up to 3 places that are all alpine or sub alpine and no luck some grouse in the sub but nothing that has feathers all the way down it's feet. I was hoping for something a little more specific like a mountain name or ridge top where they've been seen.

Amphibious
08-30-2009, 09:45 PM
I know quite a few places to hunt them between Price George and Valemount. how far do you want to drive? hope you have good boots...

I won't shoot them again, tasted like ass. pine scented ass

behemoth
08-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Kamloops aint high enough, If you see goats, you might see Ptarmigan

Chuck
08-30-2009, 09:51 PM
They also can be found in 4-12 & 4-19, but for the price, they aren't worth the trip.

wetcoastwillie
08-30-2009, 10:09 PM
... tasted like ass. pine scented ass

I have to ask.... how do you know what "ass" and/or "pine scented ass" tastes like?

:oops::redface::oops:

Wild one
08-30-2009, 10:12 PM
I seem to run into them in the alpine near water .All the places I have seen them you would have to be nuts to climb up there just for a bird.

Caveman
08-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Just a thought......What about Dunn Peak?? Easy access into the alpine from N. Barriere Lake

I've only eaten them once. We pan fried them and garnished with a ton of Shaggy Mane mushooms with garlic butter. I don't know if we were just that hungury but they didn't taste anything like I'd imagine pine scented ass would taste like.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-31-2009, 06:56 AM
Have seen them in the Ashnola up above Joe Lk. towards Snowy Mtn.

SSS

lineofsight
08-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Kamloops aint high enough, If you see goats, you might see Ptarmigan

"might see" is about right - have a couple nice pictures of rocks that i was scratching my head at, then realized that somewhere in the photo are Ptarmigan.