PDA

View Full Version : crossbows

Barracuda
08-27-2009, 03:36 PM
I am looking at crossbows and the local shop has the Barnett wildcat C5 for 399 whilst BP Canada has them for 349.
now when you factor in the shipping but you dont pay pst it is cheaper but not a huge amount and local is nicer to shop most of the time. ( i am guessing bass pro CA is canadian funds)

That aside i notice that bass pro also has the quad 400 package for $369 . is this a big step up in cross bow value? i dont think anything local is near that price but i am checking. anyone order from bass pro canada before?

Elkhound
08-27-2009, 03:53 PM
anyone order from bass pro canada before?

2 years ago I ordered broadheads from them.....worked out well.

I know Cabelas/SIR has crossbows and a place I got my compound in the states huntersfriend.com they were great to deal with.

sobirch
08-27-2009, 04:27 PM
I recommend buying local. You can not beat face to face interaction if you should have any issues with the product. If you do buy local and have issues go back right away and make your issues known, I waited to long as buying local still was 2.5 hr drive and had to take a hit on a problem with my scope as I did not bring it back right away. I waited over the winter and took it back in the summer. Omineca Source for Sports in Vanderhoof did a great job fixing my issues and gave me a great price on a replacement scope. I will buy from them again. Research before you buy, make sure you know what is available and what you want.

shaner338
08-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Have you looked at the Excaliber's? More money but low maintainance. I like mine and never had a problem with it.

bad arrow
08-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Why not check out some of the sponsers of this site? I also like my excalibur.

forestryboy
08-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I like my Tenpoint, but I'd buy an Excalibur. With crossbows you get what you pay for.

bad arrow
08-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Ya, I shot my buddies 10 point and I liked it too, but the pulley's and stuff scared me off, thats just me though.

Bow Walker
08-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Check out Grouse River - they're having a sale for a while.

Barracuda
08-27-2009, 09:24 PM
they dont carry Barnett. if they were to match Bass pro i might try them but i would be paying for pst and shipping HMMMM8-)

i dont mind ordering too much as i have found the lower mainland store i have been happiest with service wise has always been reliable and that is a day trip into vancouver for me .

the local store in town is fine but service is average and stock is whatever the main distributer is flogging like several of the mainland stores (same flyers are even used but with the different store names which is tacky).
They still havnt gotten back to me on the quad 400 package . they did have the excaliber for $550 but that is higher then i want to pay for that product at this time but i am tempted but it is just for the bow and not the whole package

as for the "get what you pay for" saying ,

well that is a fantastic saying --- for the salesman :lol:

Trailmaster
08-27-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm shooting the barrnett revolution its not to bad, WSS has it for $439 right now on the web, not a bad cross bow for the price, I am hoping to use mine this year.

Barracuda
08-27-2009, 10:02 PM
looks to be a pretty good price for the package and it has a pretty good go from crossbow reviews http://crossbow-review.com/index.htm

Trailmaster
08-27-2009, 10:13 PM
i'm not sure about the scope it comes with, I did not get the AVI, I put a excalibur scope on mine and have been happy with the package.

digger dogger
08-27-2009, 10:22 PM
kyle don't bother buying anything but an excalibur very happy with mine and it is deadly @ 50 yds.. breaks bone like butter. every animal i've shot with it has passed through even with hitting ribs/briskit..

mikeinajeep
08-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Excalibur is the best and Langley guns on 56th and 204 in langley is good place to get one. Allen at langley gun is super helpfull. Buy the best now and never need to up grade.

forestryboy
08-29-2009, 07:30 PM
I agree spend the money now, or at least try shooting and Excalibur or Tenpoint.

mikeinajeep
08-29-2009, 08:38 PM
If you live near surrey you can try mine. I have lots of bolts and a great target block.

Eskimo345
08-29-2009, 09:25 PM
I have a ten point and am totally happy with it altho ten points are really pricey

358win
08-31-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm shooting the barrnett revolution its not to bad, WSS has it for $439 right now on the web, not a bad cross bow for the price, I am hoping to use mine this year.

Wholesale Sports in Nanaimo has this deal 2nd to th 7th.

huntwriter
08-31-2009, 12:11 PM
For my money I would go with Excalibur. It's not only of the best crossbows available on the market and manufactured in Canada. The real seller on that bow is that it has no cam wheels and cables that can go out of whack. Excalibur is a crossbow made to hunt, very little maintenance and practically no tuning, simple but very effective design that has no equal on the market.

brotherjack
08-31-2009, 12:27 PM
I'll vouch for the Excalibur too -- I certainly love mine. The Wife(tm) and I have been using the Phoenix for 3 years now, and have zero complaints with it. It's reliable, accurate, great trigger, etc.

I've never personally had a Barnett, so I can't comment on them -- but the Excalibur is a "buy once, keep forever" kind of bow.

08-31-2009, 03:08 PM
I used to use a Browning Orion and my firend had a Horton (also compound) and they were both great. I understand the value of a traditional bow shooting very heavy arrows vs. a compound shooting lighter ones faster, but someone please explain the advantage of a "traditional" crossbow. Less stuff to go "wrong"...like what? Has anyone actually had something go "wrong" with their compound crossbow?

There are literally millions of compound bows being used for hunting and there doesn't seem to be a public outcry about cam wheels and cables going out of wack.

huntwriter
08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
I used to use a Browning Orion and my firend had a Horton (also compound) and they were both great. I understand the value of a traditional bow shooting very heavy arrows vs. a compound shooting lighter ones faster, but someone please explain the advantage of a "traditional" crossbow. Less stuff to go "wrong"...like what? Has anyone actually had something go "wrong" with their compound crossbow?

There are literally millions of compound bows being used for hunting and there doesn't seem to be a public outcry about cam wheels and cables going out of wack.
Nothing wrong with a compound crossbow I just happen to prefer simplicity. The less wheels and cables there are the less can go wrong. On the range I see people time and again tuning and adjusting wheel timing and what have have you. I go to the range, shoot and go home again. Simplicity gives me confidence in the field so I can concentrate on hunting and not the equipment. Should a string break for some reason on a "traditional" crossbow it sure is easier to fix in the field then a compound crossbow.

08-31-2009, 03:59 PM
I see your point Huntwriter, but I had that crossbow for many years, took lots of game with it and never had to adjust anything. Mind you the string broke, actually the attachment point to the cable, and I couldn't find a replacement, but I never had any problems other than that.

*shrug* maybe I was lucky - although I did get a welt on my forehead when the srting broke. Lucky it wasn't my eye.

vortex hunter
10-19-2009, 12:39 PM
I bought my excalibur votex crossbow from italian sporting goods got the right stuff package with it took it home for 1050 with everything