PDA

View Full Version : Training on the Island

Johnnybear
12-17-2005, 08:06 PM
I have a one year old black lab named Coal. He's got his basic obedience down (sit,stay, heel, come,and whoa) he is very birdy and retreives naturally well. He is getting used to guns as I take him to the fish and game club on trap days so he can hear and see them. I need to start training him for the real thing. I take my time with him and hope to have him ready for next year. Anyone know of some clubs or trainers in the mid-island area that can help me with his field training?

Islandeer
03-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Hey JB,I belong to the SaltChuck Hunting Retrieving club here in Victoria. It has members from Alberni,Ladysmith,Duncan,basically all over the island. We also have members in Washington. Fantastic club,friendly and helpful people. We have a Hunt Test coming up in early April either in Cow Bay or at Swallowfield near Crofton. Check out the web site and see if it interests you.cheers

Johnnybear
03-02-2006, 06:02 PM
thanks for the info ID. This one was sitting out there a while. How serious are the folks in the club about the Hunt Test's? I've heard different things about them from some people. I really just want to train my future hunting partner to be reliable and have fun. I don't really want to expose him to serious competition. I'm really looking for some one on one training with someone who knows what their doing.

Islandeer
03-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Hunt tests measure yiur dog to a standard,you are not competing against other dogs as in a field trial. It was good for my dog as the basics of retrieving,obediance,steady to shot,marking, and blinds arelearned,which makes hunting with your buddy more rewarding.

Johnnybear
03-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Do you have a link to the clubs website? I think I'll check it out.

Islandeer
03-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Try Goggling up Saltchuck hunting Retrieving Club, or another one is Pacific Rim retriever club. If you want to check where my dog came from check out Doindogs Kennels... Her Dam was Ada and the Sire was Sailor. Type in VCRC, this is the Victoria club, lots of info,links,and shows all of the upcoming trials and hunt tests. Enjoy!