PDA

View Full Version : New bow set up

Evolution
08-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Bought a new bow this morning and having never shot a compound I took this forums advice and chose a kit. I bought the Browning Verado. Its a 29"/70#. The tag said 313 fps IBO, is this considered fast or slow?
http://www.browning-archery.com/prod.php?k=134450&u=0914MT#

I was reading another thread in regards to peep sight adjustment and it suggests setting a 10,15,20 or 10,20,25 depending on how fast your bow is. The thing is my string seems to be in the way of the sight and the nock loop wants to twist back towards the bow. Is this right? It makes it really hard to attach my release and also the peep seems to be out a bit. Any advice or offer for help would be appreciated. Im going to the range tomorrow morning to play around a bitand usually there is a few guys there on Sundays but Im always leary about letting people touch my stuff unless Im sure they know what they are talking about.

DCURR
08-22-2009, 10:16 PM
A bow kit is usually the way to go when just starting Browning is a good choice My son just bought a Browning package as well. 313 fps is respectable . is that at 70lb? As far as sight adjustment, I have both bows set at 20yds,30 yd. 40yds etc not much point setting one at 10 yrds as the 20 pin works fine for that. Take a caliper with you, shoot at ten yrds to sight in your first pin then check it at 20 yrd point move to 30yds and set your second pin once thats done, messure the two pins and set your third pin at the same distance apart with the caliper now your 40 yd shot should be close may need fine tuning but may save an arrow
good luck and congrats

OOBuck
08-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Bought a new bow this morning and having never shot a compound I took this forums advice and chose a kit. I bought the Browning Verado. Its a 29"/70#. The tag said 313 fps IBO, is this considered fast or slow?
http://www.browning-archery.com/prod.php?k=134450&u=0914MT#

I was reading another thread in regards to peep sight adjustment and it suggests setting a 10,15,20 or 10,20,25 depending on how fast your bow is. The thing is my string seems to be in the way of the sight and the nock loop wants to twist back towards the bow. Is this right? It makes it really hard to attach my release and also the peep seems to be out a bit. Any advice or offer for help would be appreciated. Im going to the range tomorrow morning to play around a bitand usually there is a few guys there on Sundays but Im always leary about letting people touch my stuff unless Im sure they know what they are talking about.

I would set your sights for 20-30-40 not much sence in 10 yards. The "D" ring or "D" loop will want to twist a little bit until is broken in. Make sure you serve your peep on the top & the bottom, once you have it set to where you want it serve one side of the upper seperation & the opposite side on the bottom which will keep your peep from creaping or you will at least be able to tell if it does. 313 is very respectable but keep in mind your not seeing that speed as all bows are IBO without fletches on the arrows. It fast enough to kill something...:smile: Enjoy.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-23-2009, 12:16 PM
your loop twists because either your string is not settled yet (if its factory string expect atleast a 1/4" eventual creep) or it wasnt installed properly ... Can I assume you are using the peep and loop shown in the package?????

be a good idea to fire off a couple hundred shots and then cut the loop off and reset your nock point and install a new loop while you are at ...check your peep position ... you may need to add a twist or 2 into your string to shorten it back up

the IBO rating 313 fps is decent ... but bear in mind you would be hard pressed to acheive that figure, IBO ratings are done with a 70 pound bow at 30" draw with a 350 grain total weight arrow with nothing on the string (no peep, knock points kissers etc...)

Evolution
08-23-2009, 02:23 PM
I cant believe the difference between this bow and my recurve. With in 10 shots I had 3 arrows inside of 3 inches at 30 yards. I shot 24 arrows at 40 and was satisfied with the last 9 all being with in a 6 inch ring. I assume I was getting a bit tired as the bow was shaking a bit, but still I am very pleased. NEVER and I mean even on my best day have I shot my recurve that well. As far as arrow speed goes, I dont really care what the IBO says, its faster than anything Ive ever shot. Man Im glad I finally went over to the "dark side"...