PDA

View Full Version : 30$ for 12pk decoy!

Gope
08-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Avery Greenhead Gear ''Hot Buy'' Weighted Keel Mallard Decoys

https://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&section=1190&section2=1317&ID=2948

At 30$ for a 12pack, think that is a worthy buy? now they are not "plastic hulls" they are polyethylene.

Whats your take on these?

blindman
08-18-2009, 03:07 PM
I would suggest that you spend whatever you can afford on quality decoys, even if it is only six, and add to them as time goes by. There are lots of good used decoys for sale form now until hunting season. Avery Hot Buys are sale items and are worth just what you pay for them but there has been an ongoing paint issue, low profile keel that makes it difficult to store anchor line, and the poor customer service and attitude toward customers that makes one think twice about how good deal this is. You don't have to splurge on "Ian's Best", but I wish I could. Take into consideration what the hunters tell you in response to your post and decide what is important to you. Good luck and good hunting.

NoLimit99
08-18-2009, 04:06 PM
I would disagree with the comments made. The reason for that is I got a box of 12 of them for christmas last year and they work just as good as my buddies decoys who bought 6 for around the 99 dollar range or any others. The quality of them isn't different like that last comment states. They are not rejects the only difference that I can notice is the maker, & the colors are not at rich as the really expensive ones but I'll tell ya this for sure these ones sure bring the ducks in just fine and for the price im happy.

But that's my 2 cents im happy with mine thinking of buying another doz

P.s... on another note i'm very rough with my decoys and the paint hasn't chiped or peeled yet and they've seen an aggressive last year of snow and ice.

Crazy_Farmer
08-18-2009, 05:05 PM
30 bucks is to much, we were just at cabelas and got them for 19 bucks a pack, thats just over a buck per decoy. Sure they arent the greatest quality, theres paint problems sometimes but at that price you could buy so many, even shoot some that you didnt like just for and its only a buck a decoy.

Wound up winning another box of hotbuy and a box of wigeons at a DU party in Oregon.

But lord knows I agree with building up your spread with the best quality decoys over time. Thats what we run for geese but ducks we just throw them out there and they'll come anyways.

08-20-2009, 12:18 AM
30 bucks is to much, we were just at cabelas and got them for 19 bucks a pack, thats just over a buck per decoy. Sure they arent the greatest quality, theres paint problems sometimes but at that price you could buy so many, even shoot some that you didnt like just for and its only a buck a decoy.

Wound up winning another box of hotbuy and a box of wigeons at a DU party in Oregon.

But lord knows I agree with building up your spread with the best quality decoys over time. Thats what we run for geese but ducks we just throw them out there and they'll come anyways.

X2
I just did a cabelas trip, and picked up 3 dozzen of the 20$ ones. at that price, how can you go wrong?
i also might cut off the bottoms of a few for hunting on land maybe with a home made motion stake.
I just figure, i'll be able to buy a few more goose decoys with the money I saved.

Crazy_Farmer
08-20-2009, 06:38 AM
X2
I just did a cabelas trip, and picked up 3 dozzen of the 20$ ones. at that price, how can you go wrong?
i also might cut off the bottoms of a few for hunting on land maybe with a home made motion stake.
I just figure, i'll be able to buy a few more goose decoys with the money I saved.

Done that with a 12 pack after a seasons use. My brother cut the bottoms right off, and we've used them in the field. Not as much visibility compared to fullbodie mallards but still for 19 bucks how can you go wrong.

Qwa-honn
08-20-2009, 12:25 PM
I think they are great. I have alot of decoys also and baught a couple cases at the end of the season last year. Remember you get what you pay for and I believe you get more than what you have paid for with these dekes at that price. You pay more for a box of hevi shot or HD shot shells than these.
my 2c's

blindman
08-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Gope, the thing that makes this site great is that you can ask a question and get many answers for you to ponder. You know what will work for you and we all have different opinions regarding decoys and that isn't a a bad thing. There is no one right answer and the fact is, that some guys even shoot ducks over plastic bottles painted black but they have terrible warranties! Whatever works for you.

Gope
08-20-2009, 05:49 PM
It is nice to have alot of different opinions. I ended up buying a 12pk of wigeon from a friend for 50$

Gunner
08-20-2009, 09:26 PM
I think you'll find if you check that Cabela's was selling off the "old" Hotbuys and replacing them with the "new" ProGrade Hotbuys,at $30. Gunner

Qwa-honn
08-25-2009, 08:25 PM
the cabela's that I have shows hot buy 2 mallards at 34.99

Alex
10-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Too good to be true...

It's funny how 35$ can quickly turn into 70$

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3507/4034233078_f750f2210d_o.jpg

TopGun
10-24-2009, 12:37 AM
the cabela's that I have shows hot buy 2 mallards at 34.99

Mine too.