PDA

View Full Version : Which Province has the best hunting overall for variety/chance for successfal draws?

Jerry D
08-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I currently live in Ontario and I'm honestly thinking of taking a job with the RCMP or something as I'm still young and moving west.

Hunting here just isn't all that exciting. Southern Ontario has all of good deer hunting for big game... and we have turkey, grouse, and geese... and coyote and if you go north black bear, and farther north moose if you get a tag.

I was thinking Alberta would be best for variety and then BC because in Alberta you have some of the prairies but BC has bigger moose/grizzly?

What do you all think?

Kitimat Killer
08-15-2009, 07:17 PM
bc by far
moose
4 kinds of sheep
goats
elk
all deer
griz
big blacks
come to think of it, its got it all hahah
just my thoughts

kk

Bowzone_Mikey
08-15-2009, 10:53 PM
either or BC or Alberta

Bc has some specis that Alberta does not (Black tail deer...really just a small muley....)
Alberta has specis BC does not (Pronghorn antelope)

Bc has a closed season for Ground squirills and Coyotes .... I still cant figure out why ... Alberta does not

BC Moose is not any bigger than AB moose unless you get way up near Atlin (nw corner) ... Some of the biggest moose going have come out of North AB .... Bigger Grizz out of BC ... Not much for Grizz in AB (so they say ... I know better but nonetheless little opportunity) Blackies some mighty big ones have come of Both places ....

You are allowed to bait deer and elk etc in BC .... not in AB ....
transverly
You are allowed to bait Bear in AB ... Not in BC

My advice is to ask for a posting to eirther AB or BC ... you will be happy ...and hope you dont get Surrey BC or Cochrane AB (those two postings seem to be the punishment postings)

bowhunterbruce
08-16-2009, 05:36 AM
although alberta has some big deer and bear,imo it has med hunting oppertunities at best,maybe i am a bit partcial here but bc has way more open seasons for a much larger variety of animals,it is possible to hunt year round here depending on what your after and although many complain about the limited entry process it is by far the farest way for distribution of coveted tags and we would love to have ya out our way.
bruce

08-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Either province depending on who you talk to will probably rank the two provinces as #1 and #2 in Canada to hunt. Having hunted in both, l prefer BC, I think we have more diversity in wildlife, more hunting seasons and opportunities, more crown land to hunt and our fishing blows Alberta right outta the water!! :)

Blainer
08-16-2009, 07:21 AM
I would believe we have a larger cat population,bobcat,lynx and couger,if that interests you.
Roosevelt elk on the island,and monster black bear on the island .
I hear the salmon and halibut fishing is soft in Alberta as well.lol

Hunting Junkie
08-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Other than Roosevelt Elk in Vancouver Island, Bison, & Grizz need draws other game can easily get in over the counter for resident hunter, so I think the draw is not really an issue in BC, BC definitely has more hunting terrian to choose from, coastal forest, alpine, and grassland you name it we got it, game wise, I believe we have the most spieces within one province in Canada. Just come on out we can use some good cop out this way too.

willyqbc
08-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Having had a friend and hunting partner just move from B.C. to Alberta we have been studying the Alberta regs pretty hard trying to throw together an October hunt this year and figure out how Alberta is going to fit into our furture hunting trip schedule....my conclusions

rifle hunter - B.C. has the edge with open seasons somewhere in the province for virtually all game animals with the exception of grizz and Rosies I think

Bow hunter - Alberta has the edge with a ton of opportunity for virtually all game on open seasons somewhere if you hunt with a bow, rifle hunters are a bit more restricted

Either province will leave you with way too little holiday time, it will take you years and years to be able to try your hand at all the species you want to take a crack at!

Just my opinion
Chris

Wild one
08-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Alberta hands down for deer and in my opinion they mange there game animals better than bc.

BC has a larger variety of game to hunt but the regs could use some help.

I have lived in and hunted both prov and the only benefit I see in BC is the thin horn ,caribou and goat hunting other than that I would rather hunt Alberta.As for draws I like Alberta's system but I have a bit of luck so I pull draws in BC almost every year so I don't really care.