PDA

View Full Version : Best Places for big blue grouse closest to Kamloops town

Jelvis
08-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Blue grouse the monster grouse in Kamloop's hills hiding by a tree limb and peeking thru a branch

kyleklassen
08-15-2009, 08:09 PM
don't want the big ones.

Jelvis
08-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Blue grouse are huge around Kamloops cuz of the excellent enviromental benefits needed for blues are found in certain spots that we will talk about.

horshur
08-15-2009, 10:01 PM
What don't want a four pound blue as it sits naked on the butchers block
---------- 4 pounder on the block feeds two men and a girl -----------------
---- I, I I'm speechless
----- ok medium size blue closest to Kamloops then -----------------------
----- I know it's semi - open south facing slopes same as mules but hey
I'm open to a good spot close by the looper town --------------------------
Jelly Blue one spot you heard of close by - give it a try ----------------------

leave the large ones for seed shoot the tender young ones...old birds are tough strong tasteing.

ElkMasterC
08-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Go high, young man, where the trees become sparse, and sunlight kisses the hilltops over open glades and meadows.
There you will find your Blues....and perhaps, your Destiny.

Jelvis
08-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Blue grouse can be heard hooting for hundreds of yards away during certain times of day.

frenchbar
08-16-2009, 08:31 AM
The Blues are in the firs.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x158/05muleycrazy/Blue.jpg

frenchbar
08-16-2009, 08:54 AM
This Blue got a little pissed and took a couple runs at me :lol:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x158/05muleycrazy/074-2.jpg

Jelvis
08-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Blues? Kamloops two things that go together

Jelvis
08-21-2009, 06:38 PM
--------------------------

wolverine
08-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Go high, young man, where the trees become sparse, and sunlight kisses the hilltops over open glades and meadows.
There you will find your Blues....and perhaps, your Destiny.

Holy Crap Elkmaster! That is very poetic.... you into the wine again???:shock:

ElkMasterC
08-21-2009, 10:36 PM
I occasionally whacks politic.......
Sorry, wax poetic.... ;-)

Wine's a good thing.......mostly...

Jelvis
08-22-2009, 11:12 PM
---------------------------

TheDuckinator
08-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks so much for the good information, I guess the big ones are tougher than the soles of my Magnum boots by the sound of it, my Italian buddy says to put fresh tomato in with bird for awhile and it gets rid of the toughness. lol.
I like the go high up into the ridges with open forest where the yellow sun kisses the forest floor and fresh veggie grass for heavenly hunting of the blue grouse habitat. Sounds like Jamieson creek area around White Creek thanks upland bird hunters for the supremo info once again.
Jelly - Blue sooty - wild chickens - small turkeys

I understood you!!!!! Finally lol.
But I find you gotta go up nice n high to get blues, and i think the blues are even dumber, you dont need a .410 or .22 just a boot n a stick :p

Best of luck

Crazy.kayaker
08-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Hit the treeline and either walk/drive the roads or take to the trails game trails that is...you will scare up the blues. Mouth is watering just thinking of them....gonna try out the new(to me) 28 gauge I bought.....I KNOW I KNOW blah blah blah 28 gauge.

Jelvis
08-29-2009, 08:57 PM
----------------------------

Caveman
08-29-2009, 10:25 PM
A number of years ago I was above Lac de Bois Lake, south side hunting deer and walked into about 30 blues. They were just in the tree line over looking a small opening and bluff. It was an amazing site. Have never been back but I wouldn't be surprised if a guy could go in there and find them there again. You'd be on foot but a nice hike, over looking town. If you check out Google earth and look south of Lac de Bios lake there is and old dry lake bed, just to the east and south of there.

Crazy.kayaker
08-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Caveman stop giving out all the good hunting spots ;)

Caveman
08-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Anyone interested would still have to burn some boot leather, and there are plenty of areas out there if you know their habitat :rolleyes:

If someone wants to take my cheese, fly at it, and Good Luck! I keep lots close, but as I said, this was several years back.

Jelvis
08-29-2009, 11:45 PM
------------------------

amerikazmoswanted23
08-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Hey I got good news for grouse hunters from Kamloops, the grouse are all over de place.
A good area for grouse and deer hunting this season ?
--- Watching creek area up by Pass Lake -- check out your map and go --
Hunting season is ssooooo close you can feel it.
Jelvis --- Watching Creek -- no lie -

I've been seeing grouse every time i've been out scouting this year. Big blues ummmm you're geten me hungry here. wife got me a 17hmr so those big buggers are gonna be fearing me this year.

Crazy.kayaker
08-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Another place I've seen a few of them is on the Long Lake Road. It starts where they put the big dike in 2 or 3 km up from the cattle guard you just follow that road up to your right a few hundred meters then take the road that splits off to your Left and keep on going once your in to the park there are lots of nice hills of to the east that over look the kamloops valley in the trees there I've noticed a few blues and the Chuckars are just down below between the hill and the city limits (pipeline road). Be aware the first few KM's in the park are NO Hunting on the right or East) as it's still Private property from the old Pioneer days. The road will eventually lead you out to Noble creek road. Which if you know the roads will take you out at Isobell or the road between Isobell and McQueen. Some nice duck ponds in there to along with Whites and Mulies. Good luck Jel with your hunting campaign against the ever tasty blues. And the area also requires you to burn some boot rubber.

Jel Nice to hear you not bad mouthing the 28 Gauge. When I'm buying ammo people look at me with this look of pity. I feel bad for them using their 12's on the grouse. It's .22 LR or 28 Gauge once I learn how it patterns.

Cheers
CK.

Poguebilt
08-30-2009, 10:53 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_06592.jpg

No blues in Cranbrook.... better stick to kamloops! ;)

Crazy.kayaker
08-30-2009, 01:08 PM

ya just grizzlies.

Jelvis
08-30-2009, 01:10 PM
--------------------------

Jelvis
08-31-2009, 09:00 PM
---------------------

arcadia
08-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Nope no Blues In Cranbrook :wink: :mrgreen:... I used to live there.

Jelvis
09-15-2009, 10:40 PM
-------------------------

dutchie
09-16-2009, 08:19 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_06592.jpg

how are you able to keep the pup off the bird?

cute looking dog!!

Dutchie

Jelvis
01-31-2018, 04:40 PM
Let's see your input for this coming 2018 blue grouse season, wild chicken for supper, lunch and hey breakfast all fried up.
Add and we will learn exactly where to go and how far.
Jelvis ----- Blue grouse rule -- I will fix the deleted parts as we head towards hunting season for grouse in Kammy region

ForestWalker10
02-01-2018, 01:04 PM
leave the large ones for seed shoot the tender young ones...old birds are tough strong tasteing.

meat is meat. it cant always be about tasting good. its about giving your body what it needs. Id rather take an old buck past its prime than a young buck only a couple years in. take the old animals to let the young ones fornicate like crazy.