PDA

View Full Version : Long Bows

Bow Walker
08-08-2009, 09:53 PM
How much would I be expected to pay for a long bow of approx 60" in length? I'm talking a bow that is 40 - 45 lbs in draw weight.

I'd like to acquire one for the simple pleasure of flinging arrows at distances under 20 yards.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Doode ... Build one .... I am just getting started to build one for that very reason ... I am hoping that I get a sense of gratification when its finished that I just couldnt get from Buying one

Ddog
08-09-2009, 01:05 PM
It also all depends on how much you want to spend, they can go anywhere up to 100's.
just figure out your spending money and go and get one in that range. but if it just for targets i would say around $200-$400 for a decent one. but then again there are lots of deals to be had.

greybark
08-11-2009, 10:37 PM
:biggrin: Hey BowWalker , Chek-Mate Bows are in the process of moving to the Isl near Port Alberni . Talk to Marc Moriez the owner and boyer for a custom longbow made for you at a great deal . I will get his new pn number on Fri .
Cheers

Bow Walker
08-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks gb....

Dragginbait
08-12-2009, 09:32 PM
I'd like to acquire one for the simple pleasure of flinging arrows at distances under 20 yards.
Are you slowing down with old age there Dan?

Bow Walker
08-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Hey Terry,

I've test-shot a few recurves and most recently a longbow. They have been growing on me, slowly but steadily. That longbow was a pleasure to shoot.;)

BTW - that picture you posted of you and your kid looks might fine. Good looking youngster you got there. Must be mom's influence, eh? :lol:

Onesock
08-13-2009, 09:44 AM
It's the force........the dark side is calling. Go with the force Luke..

Eagle1
08-15-2009, 07:51 PM
:biggrin: Hey BowWalker , Chek-Mate Bows are in the process of moving to the Isl near Port Alberni . Talk to Marc Moriez the owner and boyer for a custom longbow made for you at a great deal . I will get his new pn number on Fri .
Cheers

Could you get me his new phone # to please.

Hey BW I can get you one for about $300.00

Eagle1
08-15-2009, 07:54 PM
It's the force........the dark side is calling. Go with the force Luke..

The dark side will never win, the compound/lightsaber will always prevail HA HA :evil:

bochunk2000
08-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Bill that's great. I never had you pegged as a starwars dude. I am still on the good side with the wheeled up lightsaber.:smile:

The dark side will never win, the compound/lightsaber will always prevail HA HA :evil:

Eagle1
08-16-2009, 03:40 PM
I am old you know
I seen the original "starwars" in the movie theater, I think 1977
"use the force Luke"
Princess Leia is HOT!!!!!
I think Darth Vader shot a longbow/lightsaber, thats why he lost!!!!

echo
08-16-2009, 06:51 PM
I think talking to someone who actually shoots a long bow would be a good place to start --- especially someone who has shot one for years and perhaps has more than one long bow themselves -- just a thought, but I'd think that person would have some insight on what and where to get you into a starter bow over someone who doesn't shoot traditional. g'luck!

Bow Walker
08-17-2009, 09:57 AM
I've test-shot a few recurves and now a longbow. I hear the stick and string calling - as yet it's not too loud, but it's persistent. I'm saving my excess pennies...

Eagle1
08-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Have shot long bow awhile ago, I had a "John Kellow" long bow for quit a few years, it was a lot of fun but I like the compound alot better.Every once in awhile I think about getting one again just to play around with, one day.
Give it a try Dan I think you'll like it, can't do any worse than with your compound, YUK YUK YUK. Bernie has one.Maybe Jim Birtwhistle will make me one.

OOBuck
08-18-2009, 08:42 PM
BW & Eagle1

You two going through manapause?

Man put a barb on a fish hook for a reason its cause we evolved...

Why would you want to revert to one level above using a club?

Let the games begin!:cool:

Bow Walker
08-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Have shot long bow awhile ago, I had a "John Kellow" long bow for quit a few years, it was a lot of fun but I like the compound alot better.Every once in awhile I think about getting one again just to play around with, one day.
Give it a try Dan I think you'll like it, can't do any worse than with your compound, YUK YUK YUK. Bernie has one.Maybe Jim Birtwhistle will make me one.
Yeah I'd like one to play with, but I will probably have to go with someone's "hand-me-down" when they upgrade to a newer one.

Although I hear that longbow shooters don't very often upgrade - they just add to the collection. I'm thinking about (and keeping my eye out for) one about 45 lbs or so.....I ain't gettin any younger.

Who knows, with enough practice in the backyard (and shooting from the ladies pegs) I just might do better than my compound. I sure haven't set the world on fire like my bro' has, that's for sure.

BW & Eagle1

You two going through manapause?

Man put a barb on a fish hook for a reason its cause we evolved...

Why would you want to revert to one level above using a club?

Let the games begin!:cool:
As you know - Bill and I go back a bit. We're like an old pair of miners - we just keep pickin at each other....:lol:

Tuffcity
08-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Keep an eye on usedvictoria- archery section, they come up once in awhile.

RC

Bow Walker
08-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Good idea - I didn't think of Used Vict......

M@B
11-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Build one. I've been building bows for a couple of years now and love it! it's a great hobby and nothing feels better than shooting a bow that you made yourself. heres and vid of me shooting the last one that I made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_uuSnDow84
you can buy kit aswell(this one was from a kit. glass lams and riser block).
if you are interested at all try www.rudderbows.com (http://www.rudderbows.com)
good luck!

Regards, Matt.

Bow Walker
11-09-2009, 08:14 PM
:wink:Oddly enough, Rudders Bows is where I bought my longbow. It should be here this week (I hope). Hickory with a Bamboo backing for strength and durability.