PDA

View Full Version : Canmore

Tank
07-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Does anyone have any info on what to expect in region 410 near Canmore Alberta? It is a "bow zone" with generous seasons for those packing archery gear.....and with Alberta soon to be my new home, this area definitely has my interest. Thanks!

Wild one
07-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Not an easy area to hunt and hippy hikers are all over. What are you looking to hunt ? There is a lot of good hunting in Alberta and I would not put this area as a top spot on my list.

riflebuilder
07-31-2009, 09:56 PM
410 used to be good hunting but it is getting too developed. The sheep hunting is best late but that is only on daw and with the priority system you will never draw a tag. the kaninaskis areas south of 410 offer good early season bow hunting and the rifle draws are not so difficult to draw. BC offers better big game hunting with AB offering better bird game hunting. That being said Ialways had a great time hunting in AB when I lived there. Good luck on the move.

TSW
07-31-2009, 11:30 PM
I lived in Canmore for a couple of years before moving back to BC. All I can say is that you better never mention the fact that you hunt bears there...:eek: Bears' lives are seen as more important than humans there (or nearly). I know that there can be some pretty decent elk hunting around. As for sheep...the good news is, you'll see a TON of sheep...even if you can't always hunt them.

hoyt
09-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Yes i can tell you about Canmore, i lived there for ten years. Well the Elk are there in big numbers but be careful, many, many hunters in there in stands, hiding behind trees, everywhere!! You do need to be cautious in there, the hunters are pretty thick and can also be not too polite as you try to find your "own corner" to call your own.
Also take a gps with you, the game wardens are also "thick" in there and the boundries are NOT all marked and they will hand you a ticket fast, with no exceptions!! Not even ten feet over the line, you will be ticketed!!
If you want really great Elk hunting, look to Clarsholm area, and of course Sundrie area has huge bulls that come redily to the calls, Canmore they are trained and for the most part won't come to you much by calling due to the pressure they have seen over the years in there.
If you want more info, i still hunt there every year, just dropp me a message and we can talk, there are so many other "better" places for you to go!!

springpin
09-12-2009, 09:39 AM
lots of moose in the Spray valley...also big Big grizzlies... not sure if this is in the M.U you're going into though....In My 10yr stint in the bow Valley, I've seen LOTS of Critters. Sheep, Bear, Elk, Deer, Moose, Tourists, And granola eating Hippies (lots of them).