PDA

View Full Version : Moose near Sundre, Alberta???

willyqbc
07-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Okay, so my best friend and hunting partner has made a move from B.C. to Sundre for work. We are obviously now looking at a whole new set of challenges to putting hunts together now. What we are hoping to do this fall is put together a moose hunt in October near Sundre. Obviously just having moved there and being very busy with the new job we are at a bit of a loss as to where he should start scouting etc. Not having any draws, we are looking to take advantage of the bow regions (west of Sundre i think??) that seem to be open for moose with over the counter tags. So if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where to begin his scouting for bullwinkles (within a few hours of Sundre) I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks
Chris

Wild one
07-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Sundre does not have a very large moose population but they are around. If you are willing to travel a little farther I know an area with a better population. Now with Sundre it is spotty at best and They are in the mud holes back of the road a ways. I do not have my map beside me at the moment so if you want more info I will pm it to you latter but let me know first if you are interested in the better area it is only 3hrs or so away from Sundre.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-31-2009, 08:12 AM
Chris head south ..west of water valley ... But that was darw I seem to recall ...get hold of Trevor (wookie) he is most knowledgeable when it comes to that area.

I seem to recall the only Over the counter moose tags are way up north near GP or in the Calgary/Edmonton Bowzones

Wild one
07-31-2009, 08:53 AM
The water valley area was over run with 4x4 guys just before I moved back to BC. I would not recomend it for some one who has not hunted it as you need to find the little mud hole swamps back of the road to find the moose most of the time. I hunted that area a fare bit when I lived in Calgary as it was close when I got rained out of work.

PGK
08-02-2009, 05:10 PM
I have seen a number of decent bulls while fishing the Fallentimber River between Sudre and Bergen. Not sure how much of that land is private though.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-04-2009, 12:19 PM
I have seen a number of decent bulls while fishing the Fallentimber River between Sudre and Bergen. Not sure how much of that land is private though.
Most of it ...

public land ... you almost have to go to the 940 ... near Mountain aire lodge I seem to recall a few moose