PDA

View Full Version : smoked samon???

hunter1947
12-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Just going to put the samon in the smoker this morning. The samon that i think is the best smoker is the pinks,,,,the secount best for me is the steelhead,,,what is your top samon that you smoke to eat????. I also have some elk jerky that i will be smoking today ,,all for christmas friend when they come over for a drink. :-) Hunter 1947.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Thunderstix
12-10-2005, 07:49 AM
Sockeye my freind, Sockeye! Although, Pinks have the most nutritional value.

sealevel
12-10-2005, 07:56 AM
stixs as so rite sockeye but it has bin a while since i have had some to smoke. Now you have me hungey

Thunderstix
12-10-2005, 08:32 AM
I make some goooood cold smoked.....4 days in the smokehouse.

huntersdad
12-10-2005, 09:04 AM
sockeye
steelhead
coho
cold smoked is the best

sealevel
12-10-2005, 09:19 AM
I love cold smoked sockeye then canned eating just does not get better then that.

Ronforca
12-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Sockeye for me.Even when we can them we light smoke them first.We
only can Sockeye.

PH30-06
12-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Thinly sliced cold smoked candied Sockeye. Smack smack!!! Oh yeah, cedar plank smoked on the BBQ is a quick way to get your fix too! Gotta call the wife to take some fish out of the freezer now. T'stix's cold smoked is primo had some a couple weeks back. Thumbs up M!

bogman
12-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Thunderstix , As an retired commercial fisherman I have to agree with you on the smoked sockeye. I was born and raised on the Fraser but always brought sockeye home from the Skeena to smoke. The oil content in Skeena sockeye was awesome. I mostly smoke springs from the Charlottes now as I am the Captain on a floating sport fishing lodge / I do miss those Skeena soxs though.

hunter1947
12-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Thunderstix , As an retired commercial fisherman I have to agree with you on the smoked sockeye. I was born and raised on the Fraser but always brought sockeye home from the Skeena to smoke. The oil content in Skeena sockeye was awesome. I mostly smoke springs from the Charlottes now as I am the Captain on a floating sport fishing lodge / I do miss those Skeena soxs though. Hey Bogman,,,,i commercial fished for 16 years on the west coast and on the east side of the queen charlotte. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif I had my boat back in the late seventies,,the name of my boat was the Tilicum R,,,,a sooke boat. I fished on others also,,the names are Yukon 3,,narvik ,,springtime 5 pacific crouser,,,,,rose 2. do you reconize any of the boats????? hunter wayne

Darren
12-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Wayne, I have been on the pacific carouser. Little fiberglass Halibut boat right?

guntech
12-10-2005, 11:32 AM
I have had old freezer burnt salmon brined and smoked and given to me and I was surprised how good it was.....

How about some of you guys posting your recipes for your brine or how ever you do your process that makes it so good.

I have a few nice 20 pounders in my freezer from August that need to be eaten in the next few months.....

hunter1947
12-10-2005, 11:59 AM
I have had old freezer burnt salmon brined and smoked and given to me and I was surprised how good it was.....

How about some of you guys posting your recipes for your brine or how ever you do your process that makes it so good.

I have a few nice 20 pounders in my freezer from August that need to be eaten in the next few months..... Hear is one of my brins ,,,one cup of rock salt,,,4 cups of demerara sugar,,,one hafe cup of teriyaki sauce...6 garlic cloves choped up fine like salt,,,one have cup of red wine and one quarter cup of soyo sauce,,,,mix together good,,that is one of the brins i use. Put in tub then put first row facing up,,then cover with brine,,continue till all is in tub,,let set for 10hr,,take out then wash all the fish off,,put in smoker for 6 or 7 hr. hunter 1947.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

hunter1947
12-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Wayne, I have been on the pacific carouser. Little fiberglass Halibut boat right? Right ,,,Johnny petrie ownes the 36 foot boat,,,he use to be my best friend years ago,,but don't keep in touch much anymore. He gets Danny Burns to skipper it in the halibit season. Small world hear,,hunter 1947

Ddog
12-10-2005, 03:22 PM
until just recently i smoked salmon professionally, the most delicious smoked fish was the red springs because of the high oil content in them, the most commercialized was the sockeye. there was really no comparison in the flavour,the red spring by far was the tastier of all salmon i smoked,however because of the commercialized sockeye , it was the most expensive. I personally prefer the red spring, but when i smoke any fish i love it all..

BlacktailStalker
12-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Red springs do smoke very nicely. My grandfather made the best smoked salmon and that was his favorite to use. His sockeye was right up there as well.
I havent eaten any since his last batch. It just isn't the same.
I've always wanted to eat a steelhead, but have never bonked one, I think I love chasing them too much and there just isn't enough of them for me to justify taking one.

guntech
12-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Hear is one of my brins ,,,one cup of rock salt,,,4 cups of demerara sugar,,,one hafe cup of teriyaki sauce...6 garlic cloves choped up fine like salt,,,one have cup of red wine and one quarter cup of soyo sauce,,,,mix together good,,that is one of the brins i use. Put in tub then put first row facing up,,then cover with brine,,continue till all is in tub,,let set for 10hr,,take out then wash all the fish off,,put in smoker for 6 or 7 hr. hunter 1947.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Thanks this sounds good... just a couple of questions...

Do you place the second row facing down?
This works without any water added?
How thick do you coat the fish with the "brine"?

Marc
12-10-2005, 04:42 PM
I think maybe we should add this brine recipie to the recipe forums Hunter 1947.

hunter1947
12-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks this sounds good... just a couple of questions...

Do you place the second row facing down?
This works without any water added?
How thick do you coat the fish with the "brine"? You face all towards 12oc with the skin towards 6oc,,,no water added. Cover each lare of the fish you put in your tub one quarter inch with your brine,,then put the next on top of the other,,keep doing this till you have them all done with the final lare covered with a quarter of an inch of brine.. hunter 1947.

hunter1947
12-10-2005, 05:21 PM
I think maybe we should add this brine recipie to the recipe forums Hunter 1947. Wear is this recipie forums Marc????. hunter 1947:redface:

Marc
12-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Wear is this recipie forums Marc????. hunter 1947

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

hunter1947
12-10-2005, 05:33 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23 Yes Marc that would be a good idea ,,,send it if you whant to that forum,http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif,hunter 1947.

bogman
12-10-2005, 05:36 PM
The names aren't familiar .I gilnetted in the 70's and bought and ran seiners and halibut longliners after that . I sold and retired in 2000.

Thunderstix
12-10-2005, 05:43 PM
I will bet you guys know the Smith Boy's! Nig and Sid? Tony, Wayne. I am Sid and Nig's brother-in-law (married their sister). Sid had the Northern Dawn, and Nig has the Karenora. tony and Wayne are my Nephews.

guntech
12-10-2005, 05:55 PM
You face all towards 12oc with the skin towards 6oc,,,no water added. Cover each lare of the fish you put in your tub one quarter inch with your brine,,then put the next on top of the other,,keep doing this till you have them all done with the final lare covered with a quarter of an inch of brine.. hunter 1947.
Does this look correct?

BRINE:

Mix together good:

1 cup of rock salt.
4 cups of Demerara sugar.
1/2 cup of Teriyaki sauce.
6 garlic cloves chopped up fine like salt.
1/2 cup of red wine and 1/4 cup of Soya Sauce.

Place a row of fish in a large roasting pan, meat facing up - skin down, then cover with 1/4 inch of brine, then another layer and brine and continue till it is all in the pan with a final layer of brine on top.

Let it set for 10 hours and then take out the fish and wash the pieces clean with cold water.

Smoke for 6 or 7 hours….

hunter1947
12-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Does this look correct?

BRINE:

Mix together good:

1 cup of rock salt.
4 cups of Demerara sugar.
1/2 cup of Teriyaki sauce.
6 garlic cloves chopped up fine like salt.
1/2 cup of red wine and 1/4 cup of Soya Sauce.

Place a row of fish in a large roasting pan, meat facing up - skin down, then cover with 1/4 inch of brine, then another layer and brine and continue till it is all in the pan with a final layer of brine on top.

Let it set for 10 hours and then take out the fish and wash the pieces clean with cold water.

Smoke for 6 or 7 hours…. Yes,,you got it,,,i just had some of my smoked samon right now and it is a little on the salty side,,,do your brine the way i told you if you like it a little on the salty side,,,but if you like it more on the sugar side ,,then add 5 sugar to one salt,, it all depends on how you like it???. hunter 1947.

bogman
12-10-2005, 09:51 PM
I fished along side Sid and Nig and the boys lots seining. Fished Halibut around Sid lots also

Thunderstix
12-10-2005, 11:19 PM
I fished along side Sid and Nig and the boys lots seining. Fished Halibut around Sid lots also
'Ol Sid is far from Canada these days as you may well know, in Uraguay fishing Chilean Seabass. I miss the guy and so does my wife as they are very close. I figure we have not hijacked this thread as it is about salmon and we are taking about salmon fishermen.:grin:

bogman
12-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Ok well I'll get us back on the Smoked salmon track. Mine is in the mix as we speak.;-) A few hours in there. a few days in the smoke house, and HEHAW BABY enough Queen Charlotte Spring Salmon lox for another year. :grin: I hope more makes it to the vacumn packer this year than last. I still have a belly ache , but a good ache :grin: :grin:

bogman
12-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Well the lox came out of the house yesterday. I was a little nervous this year as I moved to the Okanogan and smoking with different wood and climate but I have too say it is the best I have ever done. I used straight cherry wood and what a great sweet taste it left in the fish. On the coast my smoking process can take 5or6 days depending on weather. Up here it was ready in 3 1/2 days ,I couldn't believe it. Anyways lots for friends at xmas and enough to add a few pounds to the mid section . Hope you all have a great xmas and good hunting next season.

cmfic1
06-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Please excuse my ignorence, but what is the difference between cold smoking and normal smoking. I understand the temp difference, but how is it done?

endtimerwithabow
06-18-2006, 08:21 PM
I used to cook professionaly I have made pounds n pounds of locs try this method:

3 cups dry white win
1 1/2 cups rice wine vineager
1 cup white sugar
2-3 spriggs of fresh dill

mix wine, vineager, sugar well until sugar is disolved
in a large container place skin side down pour brine over fish place dill sriggs on top of fish
place a cover ON the fish then place a heavy weight like a large can or a weight ON the cover
place in fridge lat stand for 2 days on the 2nd day flip fish over, let stand for 2 more days.
the flesh of the fish should be firm not soft at all, if soft on the 2nd day of skin up let stand 1 more day.
slice on the bios very thin try locs with cream cheese and crakers. another way is to slice a bagett on the bios about 1/4 inch thick brush with real butter toast in oven until golden brown sread a light film of cream cheese on bagett and top with a thin slice of locs. We sold this dish for $10 4 thin slices of locs and 4 slices of bagett and a small amount of cream cheese. Very very tasty dish mmmmmmmmmm my mouth is watering just typin this out. :tongue:

cmfic1
06-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Hunter, I tried your brine recipe today, AWESOME!!

Hey is there any body on here, that would be able to sell/ship me some Salmon?

000buck
06-18-2006, 09:02 PM
prefer to smoke the pinks and chum
can the springs
eat the sockeye (oven or bbq)
smoke eat or can coho

1+- cup kosher (rock) salt
1 cup liquid honey
500 mil dry white wine
1 cup soy
1/2 cup terriaki
1-2 cups water

brine for 24-36 hrs
remove from brine pat dry with paper towel smoke with alder maple alder blend.

TGF
06-18-2006, 10:06 PM
I like smoked kokanee that my buddy makes. There little but yummy.

Wildman
06-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Personally I like Chinook. White Chinook meat, is the best! Why? Because of the fat content!

bosch
10-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Please excuse my ignorence, but what is the difference between cold smoking and normal smoking. I understand the temp difference, but how is it done?Basically the only difference is a cold smoker has a vent line running from the hot smoker( where you are burning the wood chips) away from the heat into another container where the is only the smoke without the heat. The process takes alot longer than a hot smoke but the outcome allows you to make locs which are very thin sliced pieces of salmon that are basically raw, myself, and I do alot of smoking, prefer the hot smoke over the cold. Nothing like a chunk of smoked salmon with a cold beer. Hope this helps your question.

kishman
10-10-2006, 10:12 PM
I like smoked kokanee that my buddy makes. There little but yummy.

I've had smoked Kokanne as well as Brookie and Rainbow, all delicious:)

savagekiller420
10-27-2006, 10:17 AM
i get alot of sockeye, coho and springs everyyear....and id have to say for me socks are the best followed by coho....but they all good eats!!!!!