PDA

View Full Version : dumb question?

Black Bird
07-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi there,

I picked up the Regulations the other day and noticed that in Region 2 the grouse season is Sept.1-9 for bows and Sept 10 - Dec 15. I am new to hunting (last year was my first year) and while looking for deer north of Kamloops lake (Region 3) I came across many grouse but they were not my intended target. I am pretty sure that I could have thrown a heavy stick and at least got a few. However, the way I read the regulations is that the bow season is for bow only - not even a stick. Is that right? Secondly, would a slingshot count as a bow or would I have to wait until Sept 10th and on for a slingshot as well?

Again, sorry for the stupid question - my only defence is that I am still pretty new to this...

Cheers,
BB

moosinaround
07-24-2009, 02:03 PM
I think that as long as the object hurled at the target is not hurled with gunpowder you would be ok! So go ahead and toss a rock or stick or ball bearing, or beer can. Potato gun?? hmmmm...??? maybe not! Good luck!

BigfishCanada
07-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Grouse do not open in region 3 until Sept 10, bow season is for deer only.

Get a .22 or a 20 gauge, keep it with you when dear hunting and youll always have grouse for dinner.

TheDuckinator
08-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I think that as long as the object hurled at the target is not hurled with gunpowder you would be ok! So go ahead and toss a rock or stick or ball bearing, or beer can. Potato gun?? hmmmm...??? maybe not! Good luck!

Potato Gun!!!!!!! I know what my next project is! Even though all you need to get a grouse is a damn boot :p

Black Bird
08-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Settled - I spoke with the powers-that-be and was told that no, you cannot use a slingshot during bow season. You can during the regular season, just not during bow. He did say that he hadn't heard of anyone who wanted to use a slingshot (I am not sure if I am proud of that or not), and that it is unlikely that slingshots will ever make it into the regulations as it would take too much red tape to push it through for the handful of people who might want to use one.

Cheers,
BB

KodiakHntr
08-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Interesting.....I've been using a Barnett Diablo for years on chickens....3/8" steel shot will punch completely through them if they are running away from you inside of 25 meters...(Think that has to do with the steelie slipping under the feathes when they are tipped)

CO that I ran into a few years ago while bowhunting with a slingshot in tow said that he was surprised it was accurate enough, never mentioned the legality of it at all. I was of the same opinion, its not a firearm, and is a very close to being a bow....Never would of guessed it wasn't a legal weapon for grouse in bow season anywhere.

Mind you, mostly been a moot point for me, as grouse with a firearm opened the same time as archery elk when I started using it. Hell, I still use it all the time for chickens. Can't remember the last one I shot with a firearm, but I can remember a bunch of limits filled.....

Good luck with the slingshot, they are a blast.

Black Bird
08-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Wow! That is some good shooting! I use 1/2 - 3/4" gravel and am pretty accurate out to about 10 meters. I tried using 1/4" BBs but I can't get the hang of it. I will try to get out for more practice and then keep the slingshot with me when going out for a deer hunt.

Cheers,
BB

KodiakHntr
08-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Gravel flies oddly due to it not being very round, and for some reason will wear out slingshot bands exponentially faster than steel shot. Try the heavier shot if you can find it, works a lot better for killing stuff.

RMG
08-19-2009, 09:20 PM
A slingshot is NOT a legal method of hunting in British Columbia.

Black Bird
08-19-2009, 10:04 PM

Are you certain? I spoke with a fellow from the Ministry of the Environment Fish and Wildlife (I was transferred to him with my initial inquiry). He said that the use of slingshot has never come up but that he wouldn't have a problem with it so long as it was used appropriately. He said it wouldn't count as a bow but that it was fair to use during the regular hunting season. He also said that it will never be included in the regulations as there are not enough people who would use a slingshot to make the effort to get it into the regulations worthwhile.

Gateholio
08-19-2009, 10:13 PM

I will tell you right now that you are wrong, but if you can find the words "Use of a slingshot for hunting is prohibited" or something to that effect int he BC Wildlife Act" I'll eat my words.;)

Are you certain? I spoke with a fellow from the Ministry of the Environment Fish and Wildlife (I was transferred to him with my initial inquiry). He said that the use of slingshot has never come up but that he wouldn't have a problem with it so long as it was used appropriately. He said it wouldn't count as a bow but that it was fair to use during the regular hunting season. He also said that it will never be included in the regulations as there are not enough people who would use a slingshot to make the effort to get it into the regulations worthwhile.

He may be certain, but he is wrong.:lol:

RMG
08-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Gatehouse you know as well as I do that the BC Wildlife Act does not prohibit the use of slingshots or any method that one may use to take wildlife in the province. Just as the act does not set bag limits or open seasons, it clearly leaves these restrictions to the Wildlife Regulations.

The regulations are clear that the legal hunting methods in British Columbia are, Rifles, Shotguns and Bows. A slingshot is not a rifle, shotgun nor bow by definition, therefore it is not a legal method of hunting in British Columbia

It is not necessary that the regulations prohibit a certain method of taking wildlife, in that they are clear as to the legal methods. That is enough, the regulations would be full of prohibited methods of hunting, if it was necessary to list every single illegal method one may think of to harvest game.

Duckman
09-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Grouse do not open in region 3 until Sept 10, bow season is for deer only.

Get a .22 or a 20 gauge, keep it with you when dear hunting and youll always have grouse for dinner.

Some regions have a bow season for grouse, but as you say, region 3 does not. Anyone know why?

Stone Sheep Steve
09-03-2009, 04:56 AM
Is this question not covered on pg 16(legal hunting methods) in the regs??:?:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0910/docs/Hunting-TrappingSynopsis_0910.pdf

A spear is noticably absent:wink:

Killed a blue grouse with my hands one time but it was self defense.

SSS

Paulyman
09-03-2009, 05:34 AM
Gatehouse you know as well as I do that the BC Wildlife Act does not prohibit the use of slingshots or any method that one may use to take wildlife in the province. Just as the act does not set bag limits or open seasons, it clearly leaves these restrictions to the Wildlife Regulations.

The regulations are clear that the legal hunting methods in British Columbia are, Rifles, Shotguns and Bows. A slingshot is not a rifle, shotgun nor bow by definition, therefore it is not a legal method of hunting in British Columbia

It is not necessary that the regulations prohibit a certain method of taking wildlife, in that they are clear as to the legal methods. That is enough, the regulations would be full of prohibited methods of hunting, if it was necessary to list every single illegal method one may think of to harvest game.

What about an air compressor shooting a piece of 1/2" rebar at 1000ft/sec is that legal ;)