PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead Question

MB_Boy
12-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Hey guys,

Question for you as I am strictly a "chuck" fisherman and target salmon and of course, crabs and prawns. I know this may sound like a really really stupid question, but why does no one target steelies in the salt? I have googled and read a bunch of information, and everything just refers to catching them in the rivers? Does anyone hook them out in the chuck? From my understanding they are a "rainbow" that moves in and out of the salt??

Sorry......sounds like a dumb question, but I just don't hit the rivers and have never really bothered to ask before. :redface:

lip_ripper00
12-07-2005, 03:42 PM
we'll put this btt mabye we can get a real answer, but my guess would be the salmon are schooling fish (find one and theirs usally more) where steelies (sea going trout) are more solitary, dosen't mean you cant catch them in the chuck just lower odds. I may be way off here, my thoughts. Steve

MB_Boy
12-07-2005, 04:11 PM
we'll put this btt

Hey lip.....thanks for the info....it does make some sense. I have been reading up alot about steelhead just to "know", but just have not read about them being targetted prior to their arrival in the rivers.

ALso.......what does "btt" stand for or is it a typo??? LOL.....I have read it on all sorts of threads, but never known the meaning of it?!?! :biggrin: :redface:

lip_ripper00
12-07-2005, 04:27 PM
btt back to top:smile: I think

steel_ram
12-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Back in the 80's when the Campbell had a fabulous run of summer steelhead sports fishermen targeting Coho's off Quadra Island would occasionally pick one up. Usually on something fast and flashy just below the surface.

They are catchable in the chuck but they're never in the numbers or concentrations salmon are. Where as salmon runs are measured in the 10-100's of thousands. steelhead runs may only consist of a few hundred fish.

Also. Steelhead are ocean going fish and the majority are only nearing the coast through the colder months when few boats are about and days are short.

LUCKY
12-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Not a dumb queation at all. I have asked many people the same thing.

From my understanding there is little known about the saltwater life of a steelhead. I have heard the odd story of someone catching one while salmon fishing but very few and far.

If you find any info I would be very interested to hear.

Marc
12-07-2005, 07:14 PM
I've got a buddy that spends a lot of time on the water during salmon season and he's told me he's only caught a couple while out salmon fishing in the past 10 years or so, and this guy catches lots of salmon.

BlacktailStalker
12-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Steelhead are definitely not schooling fish in the salt, although they are coincidentally caught in nets with the coho, and unfortunately drown and are thrown back as they are not the target species. I know this beacause an ex girlfriends parents own and operate a fly fishing lodge on the lower Dean River, home to world class steelhead fishing, and any species for that matter. Each year they had access to the report of the incidental numbers caught by the commercial fleet each year, and it was amazingly high (they used to prety much net the whole Dean channel) by law the reports had to be submitted and if I remember right, the catch was 5-10,000 steelhead, annually (a strong return on a river to date is 3-4,000 fish, almost unheard of now) most of which was dead or would die. Now, with the impact of commercial fishing on that river's annual return, (and many other rivers I am sure) and the few licenced fisheries allowed each year, combined with the steelhead mortality concern, "none" are reported as coincidentally caught. Obviously not true.
A little off topic there, but if you like to fish, and have an opportunity to even hook into one of these chrome beauties, you will never look back. Personally I like a long limber 10'6" rod with a single action centre pin (Islander Steelheader is ideal,) but I started with a level wind shimano baitcaster and a 9-10' rod and it worked great!
A fresh steelhead leaving a pool will out perform any coho imaginable, usually leaving you looking at your rod and slack line wondering what just happened!! Once you get a hang of that, chase em with a fly rod! Kind like chasing deer with a bow.
The time drag between hunting season won't seem so long once you start pursuing these unique, elusive fish :)

troutseeker
12-08-2005, 01:54 AM
The world record Steelhead was caught in the chuck off Prince Rupert if I recall correctly. They are caught in salt water regularly and often get "baptised" salmon and bonked.

Troutseeker