PDA

View Full Version : crank a roo

thatskindafunny
07-19-2009, 12:02 PM
OK, a month ago I bought an excalibur cross bow. I do not have the strenght to shoot a traditional bow or compond. My hunting partner bought the same crossbow also. Now I find the old back and he complained to me of his back the other day is justalittlebitcranky. So anybody on here have any experience with these so call crankaroos?

thatskindafunnyhopingforrelief

brotherjack
07-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Try the "rope cocking aid" -- The Wife(tm) has a very bad back, and she can pull the 175lb Phoenix with the rope aid.

I've got no experience with a crankaroo.

thatskindafunny
07-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Try the "rope cocking aid" -- The Wife(tm) has a very bad back, and she can pull the 175lb Phoenix with the rope aid.

I've got no experience with a crankaroo.
Ah the rope cocking aid came with it. Still the back doesn't like the 2 to 1 advantage. Thanks

brotherjack
07-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Ah. In that case, yeah, you want one of the crank thig-a-ma-jigs....

Jagermeister
07-19-2009, 09:14 PM
What poundage were you trying to pull on a compound bow? Maybe you should buy some time in a gym, this hunting thing takes some strength and stamina.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-20-2009, 06:24 PM
I have never actually used one ...but have heard they work very well
and are worth the $$

thatskindafunny
07-21-2009, 08:02 PM
What poundage were you trying to pull on a compound bow? Maybe you should buy some time in a gym, this hunting thing takes some strength and stamina.
Use to hunt with a bow for 8 years. Lots of operations, tendinitous, etc etc. Just don't have the hands, elbow, on and on anymore. So try the crossbow for a change in 40 years of hunting. Checked a cranka roo at the sporting goods today. $179. Looks good. Will sleep on it for a few nights. Thanks to those who replied.

Jagermeister
07-21-2009, 08:45 PM
I shot bow since I was about 11 or 12 years old. The old fiberglass type, a little more serious than a kid's bow. Advanced to recurves until I developed bursitis in the left shoulder. Just could not take the 55# pushing into the shoulder, extremely painful. Compound bows of the day were of the Allen patent and were noisy 4 wheel contraptions with little let-off. So I gave up shooting stick. Then in the early 90's when compounds started having 65% letoff, I gave it a try. Was able to shoot a 70# but found that 60# was more comfortable and with greater let-off was a breeze. I haven't shot it in 3 years, but I pick it up every now and then and give it a few tugs to full draw to re-assure myself.
Crossbows always intrigued me, but the slowness of cocking to get the second bolt off disuaded me from pursuing it further.

huntwriter
07-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Crossbows always intrigued me, but the slowness of cocking to get the second bolt off disuaded me from pursuing it further.

Bowhunting, and that includes crossbows, is a one shot deal. Very rarely if ever will you get a chance of a second shot should you miss the first be that with a traditional, a compound or crossbow.;)

Use to hunt with a bow for 8 years. Lots of operations, tendinitous, etc etc. Just don't have the hands, elbow, on and on anymore. So try the crossbow for a change in 40 years of hunting. Checked a cranka roo at the sporting goods today. $179. Looks good. Will sleep on it for a few nights. Thanks to those who replied.thatskindafunny - crossbow string cranks work very well but as you discovered, depending on the model they can be quite pricey. However if you have problems pulling the string back by hand or with the rope pull then they are worth every penny and it most likely is a one time purchase for the lifetime of the bow.

Buck_virgin
09-06-2009, 01:37 PM
I just bought one because I have a messed back and put myself in the hospital last year and behind a walker for a month and a half....so my wife said no more hunting till I got one...Island outfitters is only about $10 more than bass pro and then you add shipping

358win
09-06-2009, 04:40 PM
They work well. Just make sure you hook the string thats Between the hooks into the string grove around the rear of the bow or you will get the string jumping off the rail.