PDA

View Full Version : rhino liner on boat

sparkes3
07-17-2009, 10:59 PM
just wondering if anybody has used rhino liner on the outside of their boat below the water line.i was thinking about doing the whole bottom of my boat.i want to make the bottom more durable for beaching it ,and to seal a couple of small leaks along the keel.ps it is aluminum

Shooter
07-17-2009, 11:03 PM
What purpose are you trying to accomplish doing that? Are you just trying to make your boat more durable or are you trying to use it as an antifouling paint?

silvertipp
07-17-2009, 11:14 PM
if your putting it on a aluminum boat you may have a real tough time getting it to adhear

f350ps
07-17-2009, 11:15 PM
It's heavy and rough. You'll lose a lot of speed unless ya got big power. K

elkdom
07-17-2009, 11:33 PM
It's heavy and rough. You'll lose a lot of speed unless ya got big power. K

actually Rhino Guard can be applied to any metal surface with the proper pre-application preparation , as for the rough texture, that is also part of the application process , the product can be applied with a mirror like smooth Glossy finish or a coarse texture to provide traction, choice of the customer

How tough it is ???, well you cannot perforate 1/16 layer of properly applied rhino with a sledge hammer no matter how hard you pound on it, oil, caustic and cold minus-40 celcius wont make it breakable or brittle,

for example huge stainless steel impellers from Municipal sewage treatment plants when coated with Rhino guard last 3 times as long as untreated stainless steel impellers,,,

an 8 foot pick up box coated with Rhino about 3/16 thick will take about 25/30 pounds of product,,, thats 25/30 lbs added to the weight of the pick-up truck,,,

Shooter
07-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Well getting it to stick wont be that tough just put some proper primers under it. If you want some different products that will work underneath shoot me a pm and I can give you some product names and proper prepping techniques. However that being said I don't thing rhino lining is best suited for the bottom of a boat. Definately would be tough but there are many many tough products out there. Probably about 3-4 coats of Endura Ultra Grip primer would suit your purpose well. Not as tough as Rhino Lining but pretty tough stuff and is easy to repair/recoat if damage occurs. And will stick to properly prepped aluminum.

silvertipp
07-17-2009, 11:38 PM
i dont know much about the rino gaurd itself but cleaning the aluminum good enough to get a good bond of sealer on a old boat might be a real tough process

Shooter
07-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Sand it with 80 grit on an orbital sander and use appropriate primer and it will be all good. The key is to sand it REAL good, not just a light scuff. Then it needs to be coated within 3 hours for optimum adhesion as aluminum begins to oxidize very quickly.

silvertipp
07-17-2009, 11:50 PM
shooter i have a jet boat seems wheir the seems are i had a hell off a time cleaning it good enough for the primer to bight its on there but after awhile it flakes off

Shooter
07-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Anywhere where there are seams you will need to get in there with your fingers. The same sandpaper that is used on the orbital (sticky one side) works best. Just fold the paper over on itself and it makes it a little stiffer and gives it a nice hard straight edge to run along the seam. Again the aluminum needs to be WELL sanded not a light scuff. Also if there is a seam you need to ensure there is no moisture hiding in there. Blow it very liberally with some compressed air to make sure none come out. What primer did you put on your jet boat and what was the prep proceedure? One last but very important point to note is cleaning before painting. Regular wax and grease removers that are used before painting aren't really recommended for cleaning bare aluminum as they tend to leave a slight film behind. A simple acetone works well as it completely evaporates. Chances are the surface will need to be wiped about 3-4 times prior to coating to really be clean enough. When cleaning also be sure to use 2 rags. One to wipe on wet and the other to dry. Do not the cleaner dry on its own or it just deposits the impurities back on the surface.

silvertipp
07-18-2009, 12:26 AM
thanx for the info shooter

Dirty
07-18-2009, 10:42 AM
I have seen jetboats from Customweld that came covered with Rhinoliner or the equivalent from the factory. It was on the sides, gunnels, and interior, but not the bottom. I would think that it would bite on to rocks on the bottom. I would look into the John Deere bucket paint. They use it for tractor/ HD machinery buckets. It is a graphite paint or something and makes your bottom slick as shit. It is durable and hard, and if applied in a few coats will probably protect your bottom for the year, and then you can redo it at the end of the year.

Shooter
07-18-2009, 02:53 PM
We put an Endura non skid as mentioned on Gunwhales, and fore and aft decks on our boats but also never on the bottom. Hemple makes a pretty neat looking product out there called Hempasil. It is designed for the bottom of a boat and is a silicon based antifouling paint. Our company has looked into it a bit and I know that some large freight companies use it and report great fuel savings also. It is said to double the lifespan of traditional antifoulings and the samples I have seen appear to be very very durable. I havent used the product but thought I would mention it. I am sure it is not overly cheap but appears to be a great product. Nothing sticks to it. Not even tape.

Bpower
07-18-2009, 03:59 PM
I have applied both Hempel and International Paints silicon based antifouling products.

One problem with those silicon based antifouling products is that nothing sticks to it well once it is cured...not even itself. It doesn't lend itself well for repairs.

If your boat is put on blocks for coating the hull there will be areas that need to be touched up...again not an easy task.

The boat or vessel also needs to be in motion on a regular basis or you will have barnacles, mussels, and all the other nasty stuff start growing on the hull that will not come off easily.

They may have improved their formulations since it was a few years ago that I used them.

Bpower
07-18-2009, 04:08 PM
As Shooter mentioned, good preparation is of utmost importance. If your coating does not bond well you will have sheets of paint coming off in the water.

You might even want to go with a coarser grit of sandpaper for preparation. I have used 36 grit paper with good results. Also make sure you are using a proper random orbital sander not just a cheap electric palm sander for woodwork.

Another option is sandblasting the hull, glass abrasive works well but is quite dusty.

Gateholio
07-18-2009, 04:49 PM
I saw a newer dodge truck covered in VORTEX liner today. It looked kinda cool, and the stuff is waterproof and tough. They sprayed the inside of a cardboard box and it held water...You coudl through rocks at the truck and they just bounced off.

morleystw
07-19-2009, 12:57 PM
friend of mine did the inside of his 12 ft alum boat at line-X,worked great,good traction and seals everything!!