PDA

View Full Version : how to drill a hole on the 12' alum boat ?

city hunter
07-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi There I have a 12' alum boat but there is no hole at the base of the boat for water drain out if the water get into the boat,I know there is some boat with a hole, you just unplug then the water will drain out from the hole ,Can I drill a hole and buy a plug to do it by myself because I don't want to put the water out by bucket everytime but where should I drill a hole on the boat and how big of the hole is it ? and where can I buy a plug ?any help would be appreciated,thanks a lot !!!

2slow
07-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Most people just tip the 12' over on its side to let the water out

city hunter
07-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Most people just tip the 12' over on its side to let the water out
I know but my boat with decoys and motor on it about 200 lbs and I don't want to unload everythig each time and one thing during rainy season my boat always filled with some rain if there is a hole on it and then I just unplug it,let the water out when the boat sitting on the trailer,that would be easy and handy for me:razz:.

Rob
07-14-2009, 04:25 PM
My plug is threaded, and probably seized up, I've never tried it. I just tip it as well.

Gope
07-14-2009, 04:31 PM
i dont see why you couldn't go to a boat shop, find a rubber plug of some kind measure it out, and using a hole-saw cut out a hole at the back, file it down and insert a tapered rubber plug.

SVIR-Symon
07-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Go to an aluminum fabricating shop maybe a boat builder? easy enough for someone who knows what they are doing.Symon

But since the hull is not flat drill+tap tap using a pipe thread so it will seal. The thicker the hull the better so i would imagine you would want it at the stern maybe on the keel. ever thought about loading it on the trailer and using a wet dry shop vac when you got home?

M.Dean
07-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Buy the plug before drilling the hole!!!

gamer
07-14-2009, 05:11 PM
I would drill a hole and tap it for a threaded plug. I believe drains are usually near the bottom of the transom.

born2hunt
07-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Go have a tube inserted and welded in then you can use a threaded or regular press plug , if you don't do this it surley will fail .

Caveman
07-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Go to CT or a marine shop. They'll have exactly what you're looking for. Brass "T" handle that compresses as you tighten it to hold it's self in the hole. About $4.00 There are other designs, but this will give you the idea

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/drain_1.jpg

sparkes3
07-14-2009, 05:21 PM
go to a boat shop buy a plug insert have it welded in then buy a plug put it in and way to go.i just put new wood in the back of my 12' aluminum covered the whole back inside and outside then bought a plug drilled the hole to fit and bang i got a removable plug take it out when im home so it dont fill with water. and when its running i pop it out to drain while im duck hunting.

tuchodi
07-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Steveston Marine have a kit which has an Aluminum sleeve with the correct rubber expandable plug. It is ment to weld it in but you can buy Liquid Aluminum and glue it in.

x-hare
07-14-2009, 05:36 PM
You will find a THRU HULL Fitting at most Marine shops they are 3 pieces top and bottom with plug they will sandwich between the boat hull and is threaded use a marine sealant approved for use below waterline ( SIKAFLEX ) and your good to go.
Mount it as close to the stern as you can with good access the idea being when your under power you can pull the plug and drain the water.
Keep the plug on a string as not to lose it.
OH and NO WELDING NECESSARY

city hunter
07-14-2009, 05:37 PM
I got it what I should do now,thank all of yours info,thanks again !!

sparkes3
07-14-2009, 09:07 PM
x hare thats the one but i was to cheap /lazy to go get it

07-15-2009, 08:16 AM
You will find a THRU HULL Fitting at most Marine shops they are 3 pieces top and bottom with plug they will sandwich between the boat hull and is threaded use a marine sealant approved for use below waterline ( SIKAFLEX ) and your good to go.
Mount it as close to the stern as you can with good access the idea being when your under power you can pull the plug and drain the water.
Keep the plug on a string as not to lose it.
OH and NO WELDING NECESSARY

yep.
mount as low as possible, so you can drain it on the fly.