PDA

View Full Version : 05/06 Steelhead fishing

BlacktailStalker
12-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Just figured I'd start a thread on steelie fishing for this year, with hunting coming to an end.
I went out with my fly rod today and caught a 7/8 pound doe. I was using a Sage xp796 with an Islander Lx 3.8, lined with a Rio 300 grain 24 foot sink tip, she hit a pink and purple popsicle fly with a bit of pearlescent mylar.
Winter spring fishing is hot right now I've been told too.
Lets hear the reports and see the pics as they come !

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1655&cat=500

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1656&cat=500

atri
12-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Nice fish!

Are those summer runs?

I was thinking about heading up to the Stamp soon to have poke. Might be a little early for the Winters but what the hell.

BlacktailStalker
12-06-2005, 01:05 PM
atri;

That one is a summer run yes.
The Stamp has the earliest run on the island, from what I have fished anyways, mid november they pour in until mid-late december. Then late january the river stacks up again. Nice thing about the stamp is the huge number of summer runs that hold in the upper river, so regardless, you should hit fish. Last time we drifted the Stamp in february we hooked 18 steelhead, over half were summer runs. Hit it up!

atri
12-06-2005, 02:13 PM
BlacktailStalker,

Do you know if there are launch areas opened up on the Stamp? I row a 16' driftboat, and launched from the Shingle Mill (across from the gun club) but last time I checked it was closed.

BlacktailStalker
12-06-2005, 09:11 PM
I havent been there yet this year unfortunately, so I'm not sure. You can always launch at the hatchery and go all the way down its a nice float. Another one of my buddies has a spot where he lowers it down a 100 foot bank LOL, hes nuts though. MY driftin buddy wont be goin out much this year as he's building a house. Lemme know how you make out so I can light a fire under him to persuade him to get out in his boat :)

steel_ram
12-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Is there anything left of the Cowichan December run. Not to many years ago I use to hit it Boxing Day. Those fish were usually larger and boogied up the river and I got them between the falls and the 70.2 tressel. Theory was these fish were heading for Shaw or Holt crk.

The stamp is a great river if you like to bonk a hatchery. Sure do hate those jet boats.

Islandeer
12-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Pretty fish. Way to go! I have never done any steelheading, but have a good spinning rod. What would be a typical setup to get started,and of course where would a steelie rookie start. And you won't be able to send me to Elk Lake!!(no satirical pun intended)

atri
12-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Islandeer,

I know a few guys who use a spinning reel set up and it seems to work for them. However, most use a bait caster level wind set up for winter steelheading. A demented but skilled few venture out with the fly rod. I suppose it really depends on the water you want to fish.

I've been fishing out on the island for about 3.5 years and have just come to really appreciate steelheading. The first few years I flogged my fly lines in any river where it was legal to fish and I'll admit the fishing (read catching) was very tough and sometimes discouraging. After beating myself up a bit, I bought a bait caster set up (second hand) and a handful of gear and plastic. What this set up allowed me to do was actually catch a few steelhead. Once that started happening, I gained an appreciation of where these critters tend to hang out. When you have a good idea of where they might be, it really turns into something resembling hunting in that you're not just flailing away at any water in front of you. You begin to seek out spots that might reinforce our experience. And when you guess right, it's a very satisfying moment.

A good stream to learn the craft of steelhead fishing IMO is the Stamp. It has a healthy population of stealhead that are in the river nearly year round. It's an easy river to bank fish, or if you have waders then even better. Also, most anglers that I've met along the river have been very generous and accomodating. Good vibes, really.

steel_ram
12-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Probably the best way to start around here is float fishing. A spinning rod like the type suitable for buzz-bombing is OK for starters but some sort of reel you can controlled free-spool has great advantages. Cheap styrofome dink floats, a little lead, about a 18" 8-12lb leader.

Effective terminal tackle can be as simple as a little coloured yarn, or fake vinyl egg on a 1-o or 2-o hook. The trick is to cast it above where the fish lie and get it to drift 'naturally' in front of their faces. Depth can be adjusted through the float. Take lots of spare tackle.

Rivers to hit in December: Harris, Stamp, Gold, but it's hit or miss this time of year with fish and conditions.

BTW. Gold river fish respond well to plain old spoons.

LUCKY
12-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Steelie fishing is as close to hunting as you will come with a rod and reel!

Just like hunting it takes time and patients. You may not hit fish on every trip but you will progressively catch more fish as you gain experiance. The walks on the river can be pay off enough.

Try to find an experianced steelhead fisherman to teach you the basics and take you out a couple of times. Also ,as suggested by Atri, try to make a trip to the stamp. Lots of fish in that system. The best way to build confidence is to hook a couple of fish. Then you know that you are doing it right.

Note for new Steelheaders: Most rivers do not allow roe and you must have a steelhead stamp to fish them whether you plan to retain or not.

Enjoy yourself!!!