PDA

View Full Version : Off to the Yukon

bullmagnum
07-10-2009, 10:07 AM
So, i'm off to the Yukon today for the hunting season. First year wrangling. I opted not to take my 300 wsm with me. One less thing to worry about. Was planning on get a 45-70 to take with me instead, but funding for that never worked out. Just looking for input from people who have been up there for a whole season in hunting camp, and wondering what they think of not taking a firearm? I was told by the outfitter it's optional, and that some take a gun and some don't. feedback?

Note: I'm just trying to set my mind at ease on my decision.....after watching the cabelas video a few hundred times of the sow charging :o

Gateholio
07-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Better to have a gun and not need it, than need a gun and not have it...

Steeleco
07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Never having been that far north or for that long I'm no authority, BUT on the two fly in trips I have done, if I were EVER to walk anywhere without my gun, the wife's uncle who used to guide in there would chew me a new one. A philosophy I've since adopted. Never go in the bush without one!!

For long term carry and scope bumping issues the guide gun is an excellent choice, I'd go into dept and get one if I were in your place.

boxhitch
07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Ask you boss what the frequency of sightings is, I bet it is low. Can go a full season without seeing a bear.
But when you are out tramping around in the early a.m. darkness looking for horses, just make sure you are whistling or singing a song. No surprises.
Chances are you will be loudly cursing the shitters that you can't find anyways. Good Luck

Anything can work as a 'guide gun'. Chances are it will wear out from handling befors it is shot out. .30-30 works

325 wsm
07-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Take Your 300 Wsm, Carry It Everytime You Go More Than 50 Yds From Camp. A Gun Is A Tool Of The Trade Up Here In The Yukon. If You Don't Want To Carry Your Gun Just Stay Home With It.

Gnarly
07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Take the rifle

bullmagnum
07-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Take Your 300 Wsm, Carry It Everytime You Go More Than 50 Yds From Camp. A Gun Is A Tool Of The Trade Up Here In The Yukon. If You Don't Want To Carry Your Gun Just Stay Home With It.

It's not that I dont want to carry it, I was just under the impression that it wasnt a neccessity. As I understand it, I will be with the guides/hunters 100% of the time I am away from camp, and they will all have firearms. Not that I want to trust my life to some bum drunk hunter who cant hit a barn, but the outffitter made it sound as though it was an extra precaution. Maybe there's camp shotguns? He also mentioned it was optional, and that some people DO NOT bring them.

On second thought though, I am still considering taking it. Walking onto the ferry today with it could be an issue though?

Paulyman
07-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Here is a link from the BC Ferries website.

Listen to the voice inside your head that keeps saying "TAKE IT!"

Firearms: Firearms may be transported under the following conditions:
Firearms must be transported in compliance with Canadian Firearms Regulations. Firearms transported in vehicles must be unloaded, must not be visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle must be locked at all times when unattended. Foot passengers may transport firearms on board BC Ferries vessels provided the firearm is contained in an appropriate case or container and remains in the immediate care, custody and control of the owner, and is otherwise transported in compliance with the law. Foot passengers travelling on BC Ferries' northern routes between Port Hardy, Prince Rupert, mid-Coast ports and the Queen Charlotte Islands must report to the ship's officer once on board and are responsible for securing the firearm in a locker designated by the ship's officer. Passengers are not otherwise permitted to have firearms in their possession on board northern vessels.

325 wsm
07-10-2009, 11:39 AM
NEVER trust what an outfitter say's. Things alway's change or are different from what they tell you. Also wranglers are always out looking for horses on there own. Not trying to discourage you just trying to keep you out of the hospital. Also most hunters you will be dealing with will be competent hunters in their own right.
which outfitter will you be wrangling for?

kootenayelkslayer
07-10-2009, 11:48 AM
I would take a gun if I were you. Like 325wsm said, you'll be out tromping through the bush in the dark looking for horses, you never know when you could bump into a grizz. Chances are you won't need your gun all season, but you'll definitely want to have it in hand just in case. Quite a few bears up in that country!

silvertipp
07-10-2009, 11:51 AM
take your own rifle never relie on anyone else especially in a panic situation
why wouldnt you want to take it any way

Roots
07-10-2009, 11:55 AM
You are ultimately responsible for your own safety - take the rifle.

bullmagnum
07-10-2009, 12:01 PM
im taking it.

boxhitch
07-10-2009, 12:02 PM
NEVER trust what an outfitter say's. Things alway's change or are different from what they tell you. Also wranglers are always out looking for horses on there own. Not trying to discourage you just trying to keep you out of the hospital. Also most hunters you will be dealing with will be competent hunters in their own right.
which outfitter will you be wrangling for?Yeah, that line-up at the hospital is full of bear attacks. and the hills are full of bears shot at in self defense.
Nobody can explain all the possible work scenarios, so be ready for anything. IMO an good axe and a good flashlight are more important then a gun. But I carry a gun.

Kody94
07-10-2009, 12:08 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/bearzi6.jpg

Although I agree with boxhitch, I'd take it.

Cheers and good luck!

riflebuilder
07-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I never go in the bush without a rifle. It only takes one pissed bear to kill you.

257Wby
07-10-2009, 12:49 PM
who are you going up for?

ive never needed my rifle once while getting horses but you never know. i did go get the horses one morning and there was a grizzly 50yrds from the cabin, i went and got a gun but that was it.

bears dont bother horse camps in the yukon much.

enjoy what you are doing, most people dont no whats its like to do some thing like that.

work hard and take some pics.

Tuffcity
07-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Just in case you forget what they look like. ;) :)

Took this pic around the end of May when I was in the YT.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tuffcity/Yukon%202009/grizzly2.jpg

RC

Wolfman
07-10-2009, 03:03 PM

Seen my share of bears up in the Yukon too. Good advice to have your gun with you all the time up in the bush.

srupp
07-10-2009, 03:04 PM
take the rifle....

Tuffcity GREAT PHOTO

sTEVEN

weatherby_man
07-10-2009, 03:19 PM
At minimum I'd take a defender type shotty with 3" slugs.

Tuffcity - that pic gave me the chills!!! Awesome looking bear!

Kody94
07-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Don't forget what happened to Chris Widrig (YK G/O)..

http://www.widrig.yk.ca/recentarticle-bearattack.htm

Cheers
4Ster

257Wby
07-10-2009, 05:46 PM
i would take a journal with you. you will remember more when your older.

heres some pictures to light your fires.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Sask_Hunter/IMG_0967.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Sask_Hunter/IMG_0599.jpg
my best moose ive guided
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Sask_Hunter/IMG_0659.jpg

this is my best picture ive ever taken. sheep hunting early aug
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Sask_Hunter/IMG_0955.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Sask_Hunter/IMG_0676.jpg

id give my left arm tobe going up the highway this year.

Hunt'n Guide
07-11-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm one my way up to the Yukon this week. I'll be packing my 45/70 guide gun everywhere. Well maybe not everywhere, but other than climbing for rams it's always close to hand. When you stop and dismount to glass/ have lunch or whatever take it out of the scabbard. It's no use to you if it's hanging off of a horse that spooked and ran from a bear or wolves. I guess it depends on where you are working but I saw at least a couple Grizz every hunt last season.

gamehunter6o
07-11-2009, 01:01 PM
I heard the story of a wrangler who reckoned he didn't need a gun when getting the horses. He carried a few paper bags to blow up and pop to frighten Mr Grizz, and it worked once, then one very wet day.....:eek:

Have agreat time Bullmagnum. I'm a little jealous.

d6dan
07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Better to have a gun and not need it, than need a gun and not have it...

Shoot a Magnum!. Does the job every time..
ps.. Good luck.

d6dan
07-22-2009, 04:19 PM
i would take a journal with you. you will remember more when your older.
Now thats what I would do...

07-23-2009, 11:37 AM
I guided in northern BC for a couple of years. All backpack hunts in some serious grizz country....saw more grizz than black bear. I carried my rifle for the first few hunts, then after that left it at base camp. It was just one more thing to carry. I think carrying a rifle can be a good thing for sure, but honestly, I wouldn't sweat it if you decide not to, epecially if hunting with horses.