PDA

View Full Version : A couple nice Deer I let get away... til next fall!

SAVAGE
02-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Here's a couple nice ones I let get away in November 2003, because I didn't have a tag for them... .
http://www.hunt101.com/img/215200.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/215199.jpg

With both a Moose & an Elk in the Freezer I didn't have room for either of these, by next year, if they survived the winter, they will be even bigger.

Doug
02-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Need help there, Ken? :D

Doug

Thunderstix
02-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Wow! I wouldn't want to try and pack that thing on my Bull-pac :lol:

zigman
02-11-2004, 09:22 PM
Nice looking deer. I am hopeing to get a hog of a whitetail from saskachewan this fall!
Any invites for some summertime varmit huntin?

SAVAGE
02-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Yup, I am looking forward to the fall already! It's doubtful I will get a Moose draw two years running, so I will likely be limited to Elk & Deer.
Just gotta love the unlimited hunting opportunities. :D

bochunk2000
02-12-2004, 04:35 PM
What a couple of beauties. You don't find 'em like that on the rock...wish we had them though. At least you remembered your camera... :oops:

SAVAGE
02-12-2004, 05:07 PM
:lol: Ha, silly boy that I am, I pack my backpack of hunting possibles, my binoculars, my cammera, whichever rifle I am in the mood for (varies from 7 1/2# to 10 1/2#, depending on model & caliber), plus survival gear, lunch & water. :lol: Sometimes It reminds me of the gnarly training when I was in the infantry 30 years ago, but if I leave anything in the Jeep I am sure to need it & will be 5 miles away from it. :cry:

Doug
02-12-2004, 05:31 PM
HEY!!! :idea: I was in the infantry thirty years ago too! Do you miss those romantic moonlit nights out wandering around in the swamps, or the thrill of discovering that your gas mask cannister doesn't work any more just after you get hit by a gas attack? How about the joy of carrying the extra few mortar rounds or the GPMG tripod along with the rest of the shit on your back? Or maybe you miss puking through your nose when they touch off the 106 recoilless beside your head back in those days when we were not ALLOWED to wear hearing protection?

Ah, those were the days..............

Doug

SAVAGE
02-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Yo Doug; Those were the days! :lol: Yup, our "theme song was Freddie F's Wasted Days, Wasted Nights" :lol: Oh to be young & foolish again! I am sure those were the best times of my life. After doing Cornwallis I trained at several bases in Ontario, including Kingston and Bordon, finally landed up in Calgary with #1 PPCLI, which unit did you serve in, RCR's?

We Lead!

Doug
02-13-2004, 05:59 AM
I wore an RCR cap badge for five years, but that was as an army cadet. I started out in the regular force as an infantry officer trainee, lost most of my hearing in both ears from shooting (and standing beside 106s etc etc!), and was remustered out of the infantry.

I think our theme song was "I don't want to join the Army" :roll:

Doug

bullcoon
02-13-2004, 09:35 AM
looks like the two deer l seen in grovedale last hunting season,nice animals

SAVAGE
02-13-2004, 10:44 AM
8O When you are in Grovedale you are on the edge of my favorite hunting country. Were you hunting or working in this area?

Both of these Deer were north of the Wapiti River... :oops:

Ken

SAVAGE
11-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Haven't shot my Muley yet for 2004 but I did shoot a nice Whitetail, I just posted photos to the gallery... . Check them out.
--Ken

Thunderstix
11-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Very nice WT Savage. Here is a potentially dumb question, but do Mulies & WT's respond to the same grunt/call or is there a call specific to each species. Reason I ask is that I am possibly going where there are both species next weekend.

SAVAGE
11-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Good question, I would have to say yes, based on my experience, but perhaps others with more Deer hunting expertise have more to add. I generally consider Deer to be a sideline, as my main concentration is on Moose and Elk.
--Ken

Tank
11-13-2004, 10:28 PM
We got alot of use out of our grunt tubes on our trip up north. they worked well for stopping deer that were a bit skittish and were starting to move off. they also worked well for getting the odd buck to step out of the bush and into the open. we were in an area that had a pretty even split between mulies and whitetails and the same grunt tubes seemed to work on both species. good luck on your hunt!