PDA

View Full Version : Late archery season

Timbow
12-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Any bowhunters braving the cool weather in region 5 for deer?

ex bc guide
12-03-2005, 11:53 AM
If I can get the time and money for another trip I will go for it.
Mike

willyqbc
12-04-2005, 09:15 AM
We've been out every day here (Quesnel)....a few close calls but not nearly as active as in years past. Nothing has been moving until afternoon so we slept in a little this morning:) ....heading back out soon!

Chris

Bow Walker
12-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Not planning a hunt up in region 5, but.......................

Definitely going out in Marc's backyard and get some meat for the freezer. I'm mainly looking for a nice plump doe to make the eating easy - since the bucks are most likely still recovering from the rut. I am thinking seriously of putting a pie plate in my back pocket for protection! :wink:

Should be a slam-dunk for a freezer doe, or maybe a smaller buck that still thinks that IT is to pee through?

sealevel
12-04-2005, 05:14 PM
I am still hunting in reg. 8 looking for a wt but i have to work so i hunt a little in the morn. and evening.

oldtimer
12-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Went out today with swamper into same area as Willyq today. not much moving, all the deer were in the farmers fields. Only saw 4 does in the bush and 1 coyote. Pretty slow. Mike

Timbow
12-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Well my first day in the last season was very slow and cold. I managed to sit in the tree stand for most of the morning but that wind chill factor forced me out to walk the afternoon. Very slow morning with the afternoon being the best time. Nothing with antlers. Oh well, there's the rest of the week.

mark
12-05-2005, 10:00 AM
id tell you guys that the okanogan is loaded with deer and you can see 30 to 50 a day from the quad or truck and drive right into bow range, but then youul all come here and hunt, so pretend you didnt hear that!

Onesock
12-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Mark. I don't think hunting from a vehicle and DRIVING into bow range is what bow hunting is all about. I just returned from the late season bow season in region 8 and I did see quite a bit of what you are talking about. We were screwed up by quads and road hunters most days and I don't think very highly of your hunting methods. Grow up!!!!

mark
12-05-2005, 10:55 AM
im not saying that that is how i bow hunt, but to tell you the truth i see more, and get closer to game that way, than i do when walking or sitting.

mark
12-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Mark. I don't think hunting from a vehicle and DRIVING into bow range is what bow hunting is all about. I just returned from the late season bow season in region 8 and I did see quite a bit of what you are talking about. We were screwed up by quads and road hunters most days and I don't think very highly of your hunting methods. Grow up!!!!

one other thing onesock if you were constantly SCREWD UP by trucks and quads why didnt you get a 100 yards off the road and hunt everybody knows that.

ruger#1
12-05-2005, 11:27 AM
hey mark, i don't know about that one sock , he should realize that to get to our hunting spots in area 8 you do pass alot of deer going to the spots we hunt. i hunt as far of the road as i can.and if there is a big buck on the way in i will pop it. maybe he hunts along the road in a tree stand.

mark
12-05-2005, 11:59 AM
ya maybe he is but if you are hunting on a road you should expect some traffic and not be pissed off about it. all you have to do is get off road and into the bush and its all yours, sometimes the road traffic works to yer advantage as they push the critters right to ya. i think hes just pissy cuz he didnt get one. maybe hes AFRAID to go into the bush!

Onesock
12-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Sorry boys, I do get off the road. I don't know about your quads and trucks but most 4x4's can get off the main road. And yes I did get a couple of deer just to set the record straight. What I am trying to tell you is I am seeing more and more "bowhunters" driving around in pickups and quads. Bowhunting is a great past time and alot of guys are missing the best part of it by not getting off their a$$ and hunting the proper way.If I pi$$ed you of by calling a spade a spade I apologise, if not and you shoot deer off your quad and out of your truck, like I said before , grow up.

BlacktailStalker
12-05-2005, 12:14 PM
LoL! Lions and tigers and bears oh my

ruger#1
12-05-2005, 12:27 PM
it is against the law to shoot off your quad or out of your truck. what i find funny is seeing four guys in camo in a truck box driving down the road. those are the lazey hunters, and they get to see the co,s more than i do. to many idiots on the roads but if that is the way they want to hunt, fine.

massntrash
12-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Hey Onesock Not Everyone Hunts How You Do And As Long As Theyre Not Breaking The Law And Or Regs This Is Something Youll Have To Live With. Have Youre Opinion But Understand This Is A Free Country And Road Hunters Are A Reality ..my Dad Loves To Hunt But Cant Hike All Day Anymore Should He Stay Home? All Im Really Saying As Hunters We All Need To Stay Together

ruger#1
12-05-2005, 12:43 PM
sorry there trash, you are right there are some disabled and older people that do have the right to hunt, and i would rather see them out hunting and enjoying there sport. and the older hunters are the ones that i respect and have learned from.

greybark
12-05-2005, 06:49 PM
:grin: Hey Gang , Onesock is right on this one . Although I have seen fewer and fewer bowhunters who road hunt .This year two older gentleman stopped their SUV and started to talk to me when I noticed a loaded crosbow c/w broadhead whom when I pointed out the legality and foolishness of such just laughed and drove off.
:grin: By the way Onesock and his buddies (me included) sat in their treestands at minus 21 C and he with his traditional bow with wooden arrows harvested a nice 4pt Buck and Doe WT. Not quite as comfortable as a heated cab with music.

greybark
12-05-2005, 06:52 PM
;-) Hey Mark , The above post is for you .

willyqbc
12-05-2005, 11:46 PM
C'mon guys...do we really have to have this conversation AGAIN??? If these people are abiding by the laws of the land and you don't like their particular method, the least you can do for the good of the sport is just say nothing at all. JEEEZUS, the anti's don't even have to try to divide and conquer...we just go ahead and do it to ourselves:-x , between this kind of discussion and the whole crossbow argument what chance do we have of coming together to defend our collective rights?

Chris

sealevel
12-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Why not talk about it do we all have to think the same we arn`t divided just have opionons. but i do lots of times i hunt of my qwad when i am around big cut block . And i have had hunts spoiled by road hunters.

buckslayer
12-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Sorry boys, I do get off the road. I don't know about your quads and trucks but most 4x4's can get off the main road. And yes I did get a couple of deer just to set the record straight. What I am trying to tell you is I am seeing more and more "bowhunters" driving around in pickups and quads. Bowhunting is a great past time and a lot of guys are missing the best part of it by not getting off their a$$ and hunting the proper way.If I pi$$ed you of by calling a spade a spade I apologise, if not and you shoot deer off your quad and out of your truck, like I said before , grow up.

There seem to be an awful lot of People on this site just waiting to pounce upon those who make a post about their successful hunt weather it be using the wrong caliber or method of hunting, shot placement ect. Everybody has the right to hunt as they see fit (as long as it is legal) and i don't know why you feel you have to throw in your 2 cents worth of negative comments, be happy for People not give them s&*% for not having the same views as you, And if you think they are "missing the best part" why should it bother you. So why don't you GROW UP let People be and keep your negative comments to yourself

willyqbc
12-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Why not talk about it do we all have to think the same

No we don't have to all think the same but we should at least respect each others right to hunt in whatever way makes each of us happy as long as its legal. Comments like ones posted by onesock declaring that anyone not hunting HIS way is not hunting the "proper way" do nothing to encourage a useful discussion. I have to say it irks me when anyone takes on a holier than thou attitude believing that their way is the only way.....pretty arrogant if you ask me.

Chris

sealevel
12-06-2005, 09:20 AM
I agree onesocks comments were out of line . Two months ago i mite have said the same thing after a road hunter drove is dodge deisel up a overgown skinny rough road to a 5 acre cutblock spooking the hugh mulie i was watching. Then get out and say to his partner i told you there would be nothing here. By voicing your opinons maybe road hunters will not drive up every track possible.

PGKris
12-06-2005, 12:52 PM
C'mon guys...do we really have to have this conversation AGAIN??? If these people are abiding by the laws of the land and you don't like their particular method, the least you can do for the good of the sport is just say nothing at all. JEEEZUS, the anti's don't even have to try to divide and conquer...we just go ahead and do it to ourselves:-x , between this kind of discussion and the whole crossbow argument what chance do we have of coming together to defend our collective rights?

Chris

What he said.
Get over yourselves. There are some idiots in the bush and no doubt there are a few on this site. That doesn't mean you have to denounce them publicly.

Gus
12-06-2005, 01:04 PM
If a guy wants to road hunt, let him road hunt. Sometimes when the animals are on the move, the more ground you can get covered the better your chances. I personally don't like to hunt this way, but have taken game doing this. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, the more people driving the roads while they hunt just means the less people I have to deal with in the bush. My 2 cents.

J_T
12-06-2005, 01:21 PM
I would agree with Willy's point that we seem to get onto this vent on an all to frequent basis.

It is difficult to assess the specifics of one hunter's situation when we are not walking in their boots. And it is all to easy to sit on sites like this and pass judgement at each other.

I would point out a couple of occurances this past weekend. A buddy of mine, sitting in his treestand at the end of a small trail, 12 inches of fresh snow, watched a still hunter walking toward him, as the hunter got to within about 20 yards, my friend gave him a quiet whistle, waved and the hunter waved back and carried on in a different direction.

The next day, sitting in the same stand, a person on a quad, drove down the trail my friend was sitting on, and followed his footprints to his stand. When the hunter on the quad found my friend's stand, he waved, blew a donut around the tree and left.

Did this impact my friend's hunt? Yes likely it did. Did it impact his chance to see a deer? Likely not. But it does leave one somewhat frustrated and is evidence that different hunting styles can and do conflict from time to time.

We want the forest to ourselves when we're out there. But is isn't ours alone.

JT

oldtimer
12-06-2005, 05:56 PM
ONESOCK--I am 60 years old and had knee surgery this year and developed complications so when my son and grandson wanted to hunt we used my 4 door truck- me with my bow. I figure I am grown up and so does my grandson. Mike

Bow Walker
12-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Well said JT, I to agree with willyqbc.

Having said that, it is my PERSONAL opinion that - as long as it is legal,I believe that a person can and should hunt in any way that suits him or her.

The woods are not ours, or even private, so our secret hunitng spots can and will be "found" one way or another. The woods are public and as such are accessible to all. Somebody is sure to stumble across your secret honey-hole.

We, as hunters, need to exercise some tolerance, restraint, and patience. People will eventually learn if given long enough to do so.

CUJO
12-06-2005, 06:52 PM
I'll add my input here because I don't think some are getting the point.

I have hunted one area where we had 2 trucks parked at the end of a short road that we were obvously hunting. It was a small area between the road and the river and while I was in a treestand withing a couple hundred yards of the trucks ( partners were spread out farther in the stands), we had one deisel truck pull in and idle there for over 20 minutes before leaving (I almost got out of my stand because I thought he may be ripping off gear from the truck ) totally messing up any chance of my seeing anything for the next while, then about 30 minutes later had a truck pull in with 2 guys and they got out and were on the trail right in the snowtracks I just made earlier that went past my stand, I gave a little whistle to let them know where I was and they turned and waved and when I told them my buddies were farther down the trail, they said they didn't realize it and turned and finally left. (how can they miss 2 trucks parked and fresh tracks in the snow from that morning???)

Total ignorance and respect for others.

greybark
12-06-2005, 08:37 PM
:neutral: Just imagine 27-28 years ago , No such problems exsited in the Christon Valley. The only tire tracks or footprints there were mine , I was fortunate to have experienced such times and now feel remorse when confronted with the antics of both rifle hunters and bowhunters (by far the worse are riflehunters). This year while scouting out new areas four days prior to the end of rifle season I witnessed two riflehunters road hunting by sitting on hay bales in the back of a driven pick-up truck. To be fair i once saw a Compound bowhunter do the same six years ago and in that case I told him it was an ugly picture. His frozen pink forehead sticks out in my mind LOL.
:grin: Yet there are many hunters who are curteous and a delight to talk to.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Timbow
12-06-2005, 10:02 PM
You know guys, I simply asked a question on late season bowhunting and I get a $&# load of crap of what's right and what's not. Grow up!

I thought this is a websight of hunters, not a free for all scrap booking convention for women.

This kind of crap belongs in the debate section. For the respect of the individuals post, maybe next time keep your responses related to the thread and anything else that's going to be-little someone in the debate section.

My 2-bits

Tim

huntwriter
12-08-2005, 12:45 PM
You know guys, I simply asked a question on late season bowhunting and I get a $&# load of crap of what's right and what's not. Grow up!

I thought this is a websight of hunters, not a free for all scrap booking convention for women.

This kind of crap belongs in the debate section. For the respect of the individuals post, maybe next time keep your responses related to the thread and anything else that's going to be-little someone in the debate section.

My 2-bits

Tim

Very well said, it upsets me too when some induviduals take every opportunity at the trop of a hat to voice their "ethical" concerns. In fact "ethics" bores me to no end. Go out hunt have FUN and hopefully kill a deer too as long it is lawful that is all I care, how you hunt and with what you hunt who cares. We should come together here as friends and leave room for everybody.

All I am saying is get a life and be less patronizing toward others you still can have your valued opinion but dont make it the law or undeniable truth. I have been on other forums where everybody calls each other names where almost more posting get deleated than posted and where members are daily banned for their behaviour. This is a nice place let's keep it that way, please.

I wish some of you would have hunted places I hunt in America where you see more hunters than trees and yet we still managed to kill deer there to. You just have to learn how to use other hunters movements to your advantage. If you do it right they will be your involuntary deer drivers.:???:

Walksalot
12-17-2005, 09:05 AM

If I were to hazzard a guess I would guess you are a traditional tackle bowhunter.

I am a dedicated compound shooter who owns a quad and I may be one of the hunters you seen driving around on my quad. I sure wasn't bothered by vehicles as I use my quad to access the back country and save a bunch of walking to my stand.

I see traditional bowhunters get on their "high horses" and look down their noses while knowing full well that within their ranks are people, I sure couldn't call them hunters, carrying around traditional tackle but have accuacy skills which are severly lacking, flinging arrows at animals when the only way they would hit one was if Lady Luck was to turn her back on the animal and wrap her arms around this person's neck.

If proficiency testing was to be made manditory for all types of archery a big percentage of traditional pureists would be using compound or crossbows.

I think people should clean up their own back yards before they start on anyone elses.

Tank
12-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Common' guys...I think a few people here are just trying to stir the pot!

p.s. I love crossbows

Onesock
12-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Walksalot: Maybe you should change your name to Ridesalot. Shooting your bow off your quad is not bowhunting. I also take offence to your comment about traditional bowhunters. I am one and damn proud of it. I am sure there are individuals shooting compounds taking shots that not within their effective range, as well as rifle hunters shooting 400-500 yards. Traditional bowhunters don't miss any more than compound shooters or rifle hunters. As far as any hunting being OK as long as it is legal, I totally disagree. Have you ever heard of a SOCIAL LICENSE. Approx 80% of the population is neither for or against hunting. If we do not do something to clean up our act it would not take much to swing the undecided majority to the non-hunting side. We have to wake up and smell the roses boys!!!!

Walksalot
12-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Walksalot: Maybe you should change your name to Ridesalot. Shooting your bow off your quad is not bowhunting. I also take offence to your comment about traditional bowhunters. I am one and damn proud of it. I am sure there are individuals shooting compounds taking shots that not within their effective range, as well as rifle hunters shooting 400-500 yards. Traditional bowhunters don't miss any more than compound shooters or rifle hunters. As far as any hunting being OK as long as it is legal, I totally disagree. Have you ever heard of a SOCIAL LICENSE. Approx 80% of the population is neither for or against hunting. If we do not do something to clean up our act it would not take much to swing the undecided majority to the non-hunting side. We have to wake up and smell the roses boys!!!!

I have packed deer and elk out of remote areas which might just make you wet your pants but now I am forced to use a quad because of a knee injury so who are you to point fingers at people. I use the quad to access my tree stands and do some scouting. If I see a deer while scouting am I supposed to drive right by? If you see a deer while driving in your vehicle are you going to pass it by? If you don't then some might call you a hypocrite.

Go to the 3D shoots and compare the scores and tell me traditional shooters don't miss more than compound shooters. I listen to guys within your ranks tell of fifty yard shots at deer and the fact they had to try because it was so big I am forever hearing about the ones which go away wounded.. You want to talk about ethics!!!

I sure hope all traditional bowhunters do not have your philosophy because I think it is totally undemocratic.

I do not condone illegal activity but if people are doing it legally then what's the problem?

I came upon a couple of elderly gents who had just shot a deer from the road, both must have been in their seventies. They had rope snakeing through the bush so I offered assistance but they declined. Obviously they were as proud as punch at bagging this animal and were going to get it out themselves. Hunt on Old Timers hunt on.:grin:

Onesock
12-17-2005, 03:23 PM
3-D shoots are a game and have nothing to do with hunting. Traditional bowhunters do have a very limited range.Anyone shooting outside of their own effective range, be it traditional gear or compound, has no business doing it. If traditional shooters are shooting 50 yards they are not in my ranks.

Walksalot
12-17-2005, 05:02 PM
[quote=
Approx 80% of the population is neither for or against hunting. If we do not do something to clean up our act it would not take much to swing the undecided majority to the non-hunting side. We have to wake up and smell the roses boys!!!![/quote]

Onesock, many of these 80% follow shooters around the 3D course as friends and observers. How are you going to explain to these people the fact so many of the traditional scores are so much lower at the rest of the archers. Are you going to tell them that if the animals were real you would have made a better shot?

If proficiency testing was manditory for all archery are they going to bring in live animals especially for traditional shooters?

When you get up on a soapbox you had better have your ducks in a row.:wink:

Mooseman
12-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Any bowhunters braving the cool weather in region 5 for deer?

I did Timbow. I had a 25 yard broadside shot on a monster. It was -22 that morning and the whole tree was shaking with me. Pulling back my 60 # longbow was tough. I slowly got in possition and drew back. Got to ancor and the 600 grain arrow went on his way. The 180 grain razor sharp broad head went right in to the snow where the oversized hair sat when I relesed. The other rabit took off the other way and was never seen again either. :wink:

plumbob
12-17-2005, 06:33 PM
I'll have to agree with you mark as in reg 5 I've taken some nice deer right from the truck with the bow.I didn't have yhe time this year as that thing called work got in the way,but I took a nice 4 point muley with the rifle.The sad thing about it is the wife took a dandy three with her bow 71/2 bases.