PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Hunted Antelope

leadpillproductions
06-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Where did you hunt them and who did you use as a guide im looking into a hunt this fall but who does a guy use

06-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Where did you hunt them and who did you use as a guide im looking into a hunt this fall but who does a guy use

Several times in Montana and once in Wyonming, no guides, but all LEH. Look on line to get details on applying and for deadlines etc.
Fairly easy to get premission to hunt from landowners.

model88
06-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Same as 6616, I have been to Wyoming twice, both times around the Gillette area. Was easy to get drawn and I was fortunate enough to have an uncle who had hunted there and was able to hunt the same land that he had.

Now that being said, I should be up for Alberta antelope either this year or next. There you will need a resident to accompany you or you can hire a guide.

Its a fun hunt, lots and lots of animals usually. DONT shoot the first buck you see though, there will be lots more :biggrin:

One Shot
06-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Never needed a guide as we used to live in Montana. Not sure what the current regs are for nonres aliens. Look up the regs online for both states. You will also be able to find guides online as well. Not sure what the population levels and locals are today but I would imagine that they are not the same today. This post brings back many happy memories.

06-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Never needed a guide as we used to live in Montana. Not sure what the current regs are for nonres aliens. Look up the regs online for both states. You will also be able to find guides online as well. Not sure what the population levels and locals are today but I would imagine that they are not the same today. This post brings back many happy memories.

Non-residents do not need a guide to hunt antelope in either Montana or Wyoming. Non-residents enter the same draw as residents and are allotted no more then 10% of the tags. You need to submit the tag fee with your application. The deadlines are very early in the year and you need to get on this right away if you want to hunt this fall. Once you get drawn you need to apply to BTAF for a permit to bring your rifle into the USA. When all the paper work and permits are in place you're heading down there, the first thing you need to do when you reach your destination is go to the wildlife office where they can assign a hunting area to you, or alternativelly, just start going to ranches in your zone asking for permission to hunt. Zone 700 near Miles city is a good place to apply for in Mpntana, I went there enough times that I got to know several ranchers personally. I only went to Wyoming once and hunted the zone just east of Casper.

Check out the "Block Management Access System" in Montana and/or the "Private Lands, Public Wildlife" access program in Wyoming on-line.

ttruscott
06-19-2009, 11:57 AM
What, you can't take an antelope in Saskatchewan anymore?

Ted

David Heitsman
06-20-2009, 05:20 AM
I am using Lone Tree Outfitters based in Payson UT. We are hunting antelope in Roy,NM this fall and then elk back to back in Vernal UT. Will give a report after the hunts.

It seems that most of my friends have hunted Alberta for antelope.
Silver Sage has outfitted most of them.

As to the firearm issue, I keep one across the border now so I don't have to deal with them any more.

riflebuilder
06-20-2009, 05:37 AM
Alberta for 4, Montana for 2, Bothe great palces to hunt. If I had to give the nood to which is better I waould say Montana. I have friends with some big ranches east of Great falls the Antelope hunting is great. Most ranchers will give you permission if you ask. I don't know if it is to late to apply for this year or not. Well good luck they are great fun to hunt.

HD95
06-20-2009, 07:57 AM
I shot a real nice buck with Silver Sage outfitters in Brooks Alberta.Lots of antelope to look at,excellent guides.They are also solid supporters of the WSSOBC.

06-20-2009, 08:00 AM
What, you can't take an antelope in Saskatchewan anymore?

Ted

LEH species are not available to non-residents in Saskatchewan.

DIY
07-01-2009, 04:43 PM
In Alberta archery antelope takes about 3 yrs to get drawn and rifle 5 yrs. But the wait is worth it!

Springer
07-09-2009, 09:06 AM
I have taken three Antelope Bucks and if the Draw comes through this year I will be going for number #4. I will be hosting a BC resident from Trail for his as well.
I look forward to taking Srupp out for his in a couple more years.I don't think Steve knows yet how much fun it will be. My favourite big game animal for eating by far is Antelope. If I could draw a tag every year I would hunt them every year. My Wife bought me a 156 Quart Cooler from Costco for Fathers day so it will be packed with ice for the trip and getting the meat home during the Warm weather.

Cheers.

308BAR
07-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Speed goat is on my list to get. Guess I should be putting in for one to increase my odds down the road.

Great information guys. Thanks.

jasper
07-09-2009, 10:02 AM
4200 for a 3 day rifle hunt with silver sage in alberta that sounds pretty decent

digger dogger
07-09-2009, 11:26 AM
for 4200 that's not bad for an impatient hunter. the alberta draw takes 5 yrs to get with a rifle. there's lots of the critters. (get to know yer gun out to 500 yds) they're a bit bigger than a big coyote.

BlacktailStalker
07-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Started putting in this year, sounds like a fun hunt.

leadpillproductions
07-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Do you need to have a host before you can start to put in for leh in alberta

Duk Dog
07-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Do you need to have a host before you can start to put in for leh in alberta

Yes I believe you do.

Duk Dog
07-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Easy to go hunt antelope in Montana or Wyoming and no host or guide is needed. I've never hunted in MT, but have in WY.

leadpillproductions
07-09-2009, 07:29 PM
What Did It Cost You To Hunt In Wy

Duk Dog
07-09-2009, 07:34 PM
What Did It Cost You To Hunt In Wy

http://gf.state.wy.us/fiscal/license/index.asp

$286 regular tag, $526 special tag - you can read all about the differences on their web site.

Springer
07-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Yes Antelope draws for BC residents need to be accompanied by a Hunter Host in Alberta to be eligible to put in the draw.

257Wby
07-09-2009, 09:14 PM
here is my saskatchewan antelope from 3 or 4 years ago. got him in the extream south west corner of the provice. every one should get at least one of these animals.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Sask_Hunter/IMG_0393.jpg

leadpillproductions
07-09-2009, 09:15 PM
nice looking goat