PDA

View Full Version : Another good weekend

dave
11-28-2005, 11:08 PM
I was lucky enough to get out to the marsh a couple of times this weekend. On Saturday I got out with my two boys and a buddy and we had a pretty good day. It started slow but improved as the day went on and we came home with a nice bunch of mallards and a couple of pintails.

On Sunday I got out with another buddy and his friend and they were kind enough to show me the area of the marsh they hunt. The hunting was tougher with fewer birds moving around and the ones that were seemed pretty wary. But, a good set up and my buddies smooth calling did bring in enough birds to fill in the time between the stories. It was great to hang out with a couple of guys who have been doing this for a while and have sorted out what works and what doesn't.

Dano
11-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Saturday was a very good day, 3 of us limited out on mallards.
Sunday I finally joined up for a hunt with Dave. There were a lot more birds around saturday (and we shot well), but sunday was very slow and what birds were around were zeroing in on specific areas they must have frequented previously. No one else out and about the marsh, must be a lot of Grey Cup fans who slept in sunday...
We did manage 10 ducks (nine mallards) with a pretty even split among us and at least one excellent shot by each of us (I think Dave's long blast on a Canvasback was the best of the day,...I missed just before he shot:grin: ). That's the first Canvasback I've had in a blind but Dave said he connected on one earlier in the year. A buddy told me he shot one a few weeks back too so there must be a few around the Pitt.
A good day all in all and good to share a blind with Dave. We met on this site almost a year ago and have done some dog training and traded email on a regular basis. His dog Diesel is big and strong for being almost 1 1/2. He did well and is the first dog I've seen keep up on a swim with my dog Maddy. He's a good one and I'll bet next year you'll see as big an improvement as I 've seen with Maddy this year.

slyfox
11-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Just got back boundry bay lots of ducks every were got my limit 4 pintails,2mallards,2 wiegon. Im i the only one that thinks that there are not a lot of duck hunters around 10 years ago there were people hunting ducks all the time now im out there alone a lot of the time. I also think that the limit should be higher maybe 10 or 12 i probley saw over 1000 ducks in an hour.

ruger#1
11-29-2005, 05:33 PM
you guys we need more duck hunters to keep the population in tact. back twenty years ago there wasn't much talk about the bird flu.

slyfox
11-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Hay ruger that bird flu thing makes wonder if its save to eat the ducks has any one no if it not save to eat them.

ruger#1
11-29-2005, 06:24 PM
its not the same virus that they have in china . this one just makes the birds sick and is not transmittable to humans, i lost my last job due to all the chickens being killed . i has been around for many years , the one thing is that we keep pumping chickens with anti bio tics, and feeding them crap feed. they should be naturally grain feed , without meat meal, then they will have strong immune systems. you don't see massive flocks of geese dying out there, maybe when dano nails them with the steel shot. i used to make lots of chicken,hog cattle and bear feed, yes bear feed for Washington tree farmers to keep the bears away from the saplings that were planted, i also used to run a pet food extruder, and made dog and cat food. also made duck, goose, turkey and emu feed. and some fish feed.

slyfox
11-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks ruger for the info it just makes them sick maybe thats why they were flying slower today or i got lucky with the shootinghttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

k4le
11-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Dave,

I am new to BC. Just wondering where the "marsh" is?

dave
11-30-2005, 09:59 PM
we are talking about the Pitt marsh

k4le
12-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Dave,

Thank you very much sir. Looks like there are other animals around that area for viewing along w/ waterfowl.

k4le

slyfox
12-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Was at canoe pass today shot 5 ducks 4 mallards 1 pintail and 3 snows man can snows take a beating before they go down i hit one today with 2 shots at 40 yards with t shoot and i still had to walk about 75 to 100 yards to get him. I talked to a hunter today that side if i aim for there wings ill get more geese has any one ever tried this. Thanks slyfox