PDA

View Full Version : Brant hunting?

MichelD
11-27-2005, 05:23 PM
I was just reading a book by Mike Crammond, who was the outdoors editor for the province in the 60s, when it was still acceptable to write about hunting and fishing in the daily press.

He mentioned brant hunting at Beach Grove spit out of driftwood blinds.

Is that the area that was wrecked to build the ferry terminal and coal port?

Anyway, do people still hunt brant? There's a 10-day season in March.

How do you do it?

Freshtracks
11-27-2005, 05:50 PM
Brant hunting has now become almost a historical pasttime for region 2-4. There are still a few that annually do the hunt. Areas are few.

Beach grove is out of Boundry Bay, on the Tsawwassen side.

kyleklassen
06-23-2012, 10:20 PM
yes they still do it..

Crazy_Farmer
06-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Kyle 2005 called, they want their thread back. hahaha

Nothing like reviving a 7 yr old thread haha

BiG Boar
06-24-2012, 02:23 AM
I would have to say this is a record for revival. Can anyone think of a better one?

Ian F.
06-24-2012, 07:40 PM
For this forum I think we have a winner....there is a perennial one on the fuge about getting hair dye out of your poodle, no idea how old though....

Duckman
06-24-2012, 08:40 PM
I was just reading a book by Mike Crammond, who was the outdoors editor for the province in the 60s, when it was still acceptable to write about hunting and fishing in the daily press.

He mentioned brant hunting at Beach Grove spit out of driftwood blinds.

Is that the area that was wrecked to build the ferry terminal and coal port?

Anyway, do people still hunt brant? There's a 10-day season in March.

How do you do it?

Mike Cramond wrote a great series of books about hunting and fishing in BC. They are worth looking for if you happen to be in a used bookstore.

Farmer
06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Mike Cramond wrote a great series of books about hunting and fishing in BC. They are worth looking for if you happen to be in a used bookstore.

I agree. I have "Game bird hunting in the west", and "Big game hunting in the west" and enjoy them both.

riflebuilder
06-25-2012, 09:24 AM
I would love to hunt Brant, Just need one or two that's all. Anyone willing to take an old guy hunting Brants I would appreciate it very much.

MichelD
06-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Funny. I just thought I'd pose that question after reading the book 7 years ago.

I had heard about brant hunting "on the spit" somewhere before in my distant memory and also knew several people (Homer Stevens and Edgar Birch among them) who had hunted from those blinds back in the day.

It was apparently quite the culture, with people camping out in the blinds during the week to hold them for their hunting parties on the weekend.

SHAKER
06-25-2012, 01:47 PM
I think you need to pass a metal evaluation test before your qualified to hunt brant. If your crazy as a $%# house rat then you might make the cut. I used to do it when I lived on the coast and it really is a tight knit group of guys who do it. Crazy Farmer posts some awsome pics of them which help me get threw the days of not getting out on the water.

Peter Pepper
06-25-2012, 03:06 PM
There is abrant festival in parksville every year. Don't think they're hunting them but, maybe i should. What do they taste like? Sea bird and all.

SHAKER
07-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Couldn't tell ya... Killed 5 birds in my life gave one to the guy that took me out and the other 4 are on my wall. Only took me about 10 trips to get those 5! Heard they are exellent eating though?

Crazy_Farmer
07-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Only took me about 10 trips to get those 5!

Aint that the god damned truth hahahaha. Words to live by. I believe it took probably 3 full yrs and atleast 8-10 hunts before getting my limit. And its not like ducks with a season months long, its a very narrow window to get your birds. and if you dont, its a full 355 days till you get the chance again.

Except I'll be in Baja chasing brant next Feb a month before everybody else is BC hahaha. Lead shells allowed, 10 a day limit. Gonna be lights out hopefully.

Foxton Gundogs
07-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Aint that the god damned truth hahahaha. Words to live by. I believe it took probably 3 full yrs and atleast 8-10 hunts before getting my limit. And its not like ducks with a season months long, its a very narrow window to get your birds. and if you dont, its a full 355 days till you get the chance again.

Except I'll be in Baja chasing brant next Feb a month before everybody else is BC hahaha. Lead shells allowed, 10 a day limit. Gonna be lights out hopefully.

DAMN YOU Adam. I just checked out a 5day Brant/Duck/Quail/Phesant all in hunt very reasonable....Got me thinking......:confused::confused:....it hurts....:?