PDA

View Full Version : HCA Speed Pro... Which Arrows?

TIKKA TIGER
05-31-2009, 11:21 AM
I just purchased a new HCA Speed Pro and was wondering which arrows I should be shooting with this bow? It's on back order and won't be here for 4 to 6 weeks. That gives me time to look around and see what arrows other guys or gals would recommend or are shooting with the same bow. I presently shoot Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575's. I don't know... but maybe the Gold Tips are under spined for this bow? The Speed Pro I ordered is 60 lb. draw weight and draw length is 28 inches. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks... :smile:

Bowzone_Mikey
05-31-2009, 11:44 AM
5575s would be ok for a 60 pound bow

Bow Walker
05-31-2009, 05:33 PM
I have been (and still am) a huge fan of GT shafts.

A 60lb bow is - IMHO - probably the most versatile bow out there. It'll kill anything that you've got the cajones to hunt.

My draw length is 28.5 inches and I shoot the 5575's and I love them. If, however, you're looking for a "speed arrow" there are some options for you.

If you're using a Drop Away/Fall Away arrow rest that is mounted (because of their design) 1" - 1.5" behind the arrow shelf, then you can get away (very safely) with using a 3555 shaft. The reason being, that you would be cutting them down to approx. 26.5" or 27" in length.

Given GT's normal shaft length of 32", cutting your shafts this short stiffens them up to the spine specs of the 5575's. You gain speed because of the lighter arrow weight and you don't sacrifice anything in the way of arrow dynamics.

I've been advised by the Tech Department at GT that doing the above cutting of 3555's is very do-able and is also very safe. It all depends on what your objective is. Shorter, lighter arrows are fine for target/3D, but I'd not recommend this for hunting - where KE/penetration is King.

Good luck and enjoy your new bow when it gets to you.

TIKKA TIGER
06-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks for your input guys. Any more questions, I'll pm you.
Thanks again! :smile: