PDA

View Full Version : Oppinions Please arrow choice

bochunk2000
05-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Arrow 1 is 405 gr total. 27.5 in easton Pwrflights 275 fps, 68.03 ft/lbs KE.

Arrow 2 is 480 gr total 27.5 in Easton FMJ about 256 fps, 69.32 ft/lbs KE.

The question I have is that all things being equal in reguards to broad heads, fletching and nocks. Which is my better choice for hunting. Both group well with broad heads on?
The only negative for the FMJ's is that my pins open up creating much more room for error on distance judging. Will I still be OK hunting Bears, Elk and Deer with Arrow 1?

And just for arguments sake the set up is:
Hoyt alpha max 32 69 lbs
28" draw
Broad heads are Muzzy 125 gr. 3 Blades.
Thanks Steve

J_T
05-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Well, I don't have a lot of arrows off the shelf of a compound, but I'd go with the heavier arrow. Hands down. Just my opinion.

oldtimer
05-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Either one will do the trick but the extra 19 fps with the powerflights would have me going that way. Mike

Bowzone_Mikey
05-30-2009, 03:29 PM
They are both fine choices ... I would have no issue with either completed arrow

arrow 2 you are losing 20 feet per second ...at 30 yards ..you wont have that much of a pin gap between 20/30 depending on how far out is your sight (ie: 4" ...9") from your bow. and really you are not gaining much KE (still high 60s which is way more than you need to shoot through any critter in North America)

FMJs in my opinion are expensive to hunt with and arnt any stronger than any other arrow ....

the only advantage to FMJs that I have found is that they retain their energy alot further downrange (as you get further and further you will notice the gaps wont open up as exponetionally as straight carbons do ...

and that they have alum outter ... they are way easier to pull from 3D foam

bochunk2000
05-30-2009, 04:14 PM
I think I might go with the carbons then and I can change in the fmj's when I feel the need for a change.
Thanks for the input.
Steve.

Kody94
05-30-2009, 08:30 PM
I'd be all over Arrow 2.

danfloris
06-01-2009, 12:44 PM
hey man ill give you my opinion, though its not worth much.

i shoot radial x weave arrows for 3d and i shoot FMJ 400s for hunting and i pull a 72 pound x force 6.

the FMJ 400 cut at 27.75inches (and i have a 29inch drawi shoot off a drop away and this can be done with a bicut as well and other rests that sit back of the riser) they wiegh with a 100 grian broadhead 445 grains total.

i shot three deer last year with them. 2 deer with the same arrow and the first deer was shot quartering to me and threw his shoulder and he ran and the arrow was totally fine.....im not saying that you cant do that with carbons but when i did shoot a deer that broke that FMJ the arrow broke clean and did not leave any carbon behind.

i am totally stuck on the FMJ 400 and i will always hunt with them now. funny though casue i just ordered a dozen more this mourning and then saw this post lol.

Ron.C
06-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Steve,

Not to open a huge can of worms, but I'm of the opinion that a heavier slower arrow will out penetrate a lighter faster arrow. There's more to it than just KE. It will depend on what you want to hunt as well. If you are going for Bison, maybe moose, you would most likely want a heavier arrow. If you are going for deer/elk/black bear, I say you are fine with the 405gr arrow.

Also, the two arrows you mention are not signifigantly different in weight, so you have to look at the performance "penetration" of the lighter arrow on the game you want to hunt. So you have to ask yourself, will the lighter arrow do the job or won't it? If it will, what else can be gained?

I 'm sure your 405gr arrow will be just fine. I am making this recommendation based on personal experience that an arrow/broadhead combination with a finished weight of 400gr and an quality fixed blade broadhead will easily acheive complete pass through penetration of up to elk size game just fine out to 43 yards. "shot out of a 27.5"draw bow@ 61#"
Plus your shooting a flatter trajectory with the lighter arrow, something that is very important if/when you don't have the luxury to use a laser rangefinder and your range estimate may be off by a bit.