PDA

View Full Version : BBB shot

shoot to kill
11-25-2005, 06:20 PM
i have a box of BBB 3inch shells and was wondering if anyone has had success using them for geese? thanks

ex bc guide
11-25-2005, 07:24 PM
I used bbbs when I first started bird hunting (this season) And was not able to pull anything down:redface: I then changed to #2s and have been doing very well since:wink:
Mike

BCHunter
11-25-2005, 07:31 PM
can't wait to get out tomorrow....i'll try out my robo goose:-P

lapadat
11-25-2005, 11:38 PM
I have used BB and BBB for geese extensively. In Alberta, I even tried F and T shot. Damn near like sending buck shot towards the heavens. BBB is a great goose round.

Dano
11-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Never used it. How many pellets in a 3' round?
Dano

bogman
11-26-2005, 12:03 AM
I generally use BBB in 3 1/2" and BB in 3". Both work great as far as I'm concerned

shoot to kill
11-26-2005, 12:33 AM
i think theres 74 pellets of BBB in 3inch?

todbartell
11-26-2005, 04:25 PM
I really like BBB for geese, probably IMO the ideal shot size, especially when loaded in a High Vel 3" shell

Farmer
12-01-2005, 04:26 PM
I agree with Firebird, BBB is a good load for geese even in 2 3/4 inch loads.
Gord

Marc
12-01-2005, 05:10 PM
I've nocked down geese with BBB. If you hit one with that thing it's pretty much comming down. I wouldn't suggest using anything smaller then BB in Steel shot for geese. Anything less and you're going to see cripples falling off in the distance.

I've chased other hunter's cripples back east after evening hunts. The boys were shooting at them just before dark and couldn't see them fall a couple hundred yards further down the marsh. In the morning after the big flocks of birds left the marsh you could see the cripples on the water. You need two people and a fast boat to catch them. Back east you're allowed too dispatch cripples from a boat. A lot of hunters back east would use #2 or #1 shot as their first shot. They'd line the birds up on the water and try and take as many birds with one shot as possible. Sometimes it worked and other times it didn't. A lot of the birds I recovered were shot with small pellet size #1 shot and smaller. I even recovered one bird that was shot with #6 lead:eek:

I like to use #2 shot for ducks in the decoys and BB for geese out to 40 yards or so. If you keep these guidlines you'll do fine. The size of shot will also depend on the choke you use. Some shotguns pattern the BBB realy well and others don't. Make sure you're using a modified led or open cylinder lead choke tube Try shooting some paper plates from 25-40 yards and see how your pattern is.

Another mistake a lot of hunters make is they buy the shells with the heavy shot loads. The problem being is if the shot load is heavy then the powder load is light. Steel shot is light compared to lead so don't be trying to find a 1 1/2 oz of shot in a 3 inch load. Anything more then a 1 1/4 oz load of steel is going to produce slow velocity. You want good velocity with steel. Between 1400-1500fps is usually ideal. I reload my own shells and use 1 1/4 oz of BB steel in a 3 inch hull doing 1475fps and it drops geese.

Marc.

Dirty
12-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Marc, what is it worth to get started into reloading shotgun shells? With the amount of shells we have been going through it would definitely be worth it. Also how much does it cost you per shell to reload them?

Marc
12-02-2005, 06:34 AM
Dirty, sorry I didn't get the chance to break it down for you I'll get you the numbers when I get home from hunting this weekend. I haven't bought the components for a while so I want to check the new prices to give you and accurate reading. It's defanitely not as cheap as buying lead but we all know you can't use lead. Handloads are also premium loads.

I think it was a ball park figure of $13.50 for a box of 2 3/4 inch 1 1/8 oz doing 1475fps and the 3 inch loads I think was around $17.50 for a box with 1 1/4 oz doing 1475fps. The cool thing is I found two different recipies for two different size shells with the same velocity so you don't have to componsate your lead for changing types of shells.

Marc.

Fred
12-02-2005, 09:57 AM
The powder is getting a bit pricey but the caps, wads and hulls are still pretty reasonable, as is a Lee press. Where one would get steel shot I have no idea. Since I don't do migratory birds I still load lead on those rare occations that I do reload shotshells. Fred