PDA

View Full Version : Tuning your bow...

Bow Walker
05-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Hi,
I've been re-tuning my hunting bow and it's amazing how a seemingly minor thing can have a huge affect on accuracy. Something a inconsequential as a different release can really affect the P.O.I., whether it be field tips or broadheads.

Another thing is where your center-shot is set up. Everyone is different. What works for someone else might not necessarily work for you - even if the center-shot looks to be set properly.

That's part of the reason that i love this sport - it's so individualistic. Just setting center-shot and the nocking point is only the beginning of tuning your equipment for your personal shooting style. Great fun.

Ruger4
05-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Hi,
I've been re-tuning my hunting bow and it's amazing how a seemingly minor thing can have a huge affect on accuracy. Something a inconsequential as a different release can really affect the P.O.I., whether it be field tips or broadheads.

Another thing is where your center-shot is set up. Everyone is different. What works for someone else might not necessarily work for you - even if the center-shot looks to be set properly.

That's part of the reason that i love this sport - it's so individualistic. Just setting center-shot and the nocking point is only the beginning of tuning your equipment for your personal shooting style. Great fun.

Great points Bow-walker

Salmon Arm had a great 40 target 3D shoot this weekend

Bowzone_Mikey
05-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Do you want to get into Node Tuning your arrows, Tiller tuning, Creep tuning .... there is hardly enogh bandwidth on this site to get into all that stuff

Bow Walker
05-25-2009, 05:29 PM
I've read a lot about Node tuning but haven't tried it - yet. Although I might just do that, being the 'mad tinker-er' that I am....

Bowzone_Mikey
05-25-2009, 06:06 PM
it goes against alot of conventional thinking on the 3D circut But I have personally witnessed groups tighten up after a few days of node tuning

bochunk2000
05-25-2009, 08:52 PM
OK what is node tuning? If iys too in depth to tell me can you direct me to a good site to read up on it please?
Steve

The Hermit
05-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Our lives seem so complex... I strive to eschew compounded confounded bows and gravitate to the traditional! "Hunt Hard - Hunt Traditional, Take the Journey!! :-)

Bowzone_Mikey
05-25-2009, 09:18 PM
OK what is node tuning? If iys too in depth to tell me can you direct me to a good site to read up on it please?
Steve

here is a good discussion on Nodes of an arrow

most musically inclined people will pick up the concept right away ... others will have a BS meter going off for a while
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=561443&highlight=node

click on the links that it will take you as well ... very informative

Bowzone_Mikey
05-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Our lives seem so complex... I strive to eschew compounded confounded bows and gravitate to the traditional! "Hunt Hard - Hunt Traditional, Take the Journey!! :-)

Trad bows should pay much more attention to Arrow Nodes than compound guys as it effects them moreso than confounded compounds ... remember we compound guys still have our training wheels on

Onesock
05-27-2009, 03:05 PM
How much tuning do you need to stick an arrow through a deers lungs at 20 yards. If you want to tinker fine but............don't tell me about nerd tuning to kill a deer. I agree with Hermit. If you want to tinker go ahead, you just don't need it.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-27-2009, 05:34 PM
How much tuning do you need to stick an arrow through a deers lungs at 20 yards. If you want to tinker fine but............don't tell me about nerd tuning to kill a deer. I agree with Hermit. If you want to tinker go ahead, you just don't need it.
Yes you are right ... for smoking a deers lungs ... at 20 yards this wouldnt apply to you ... But for those that actually target shoot where an inch at 90 meters will make a differance ... they best pay attention

Now before you go off .."this is a huntin site blah blah blah" ...Remember that this particular forum on this site is called .... 'Tuning your Bow"

Ron.C
05-27-2009, 06:18 PM

First, let me say I agree Onesock, you can kill deer with a untuned bow or an arrow that is not not "Nerd" tuned or tuned by one of many other methods. You can also kill a deer with a bent arrow and a dull broadhead, but why would you want to try it????

And I'm not making a dig at the traditional shooters here, I'm actually considering giving it another try,but its much harder to acheive the pinpoint accuracy with a longbow/unsighted recurve that can be achieved when shooting a compound. I'm simply basing that observation on the scores posted by compounds/traditional bows seen at 3d shoots. A poorly tuned compound or a compound shooting an arrow with misaligned components with definitely affect this pin point accuracy and because groups are generally much tighter, it is easier to see the negative results.

I don't know squat about the dynamics of tuning a traditional bow if there is such a thing, but see no reason why you still wouldn't want very straight/consitent arrows with aligned components. If simply spinning the arrows meets your standards, great, but some look for more.

And I agree, to some extent, at close ranges you have alot more room for error and can get away with less critical tuning. But as it applies to a compound shooter who may be shooting 35-40 yards at game, it becomes more critical to have a well tuned bow, straight arrow with properly aligned components. Or if you are shooting in a bit of a crosswind, to start the shot by having the arrow leave the bow fishtailing or porposing only makes things worse. I think it also comes down to a confidence issue for alot of guys, myself included. When you know you, your bow, and your broadhead tipped arrows are deadly accurate and you have eliminated any excuse as to why you can blame a poor shot on equipment, it's an awesome feeling.

Un-tuned bows/poorly constructed arrows with misaligned components just amplify imperfections in shooting form. This is all to easily seen shooting fast arrows at longer ranges. So if you have the time to dedicate to it, I say why not do your best to rectify it??

By the way, I use arrow rollers, G5 arrow squaring device, paper tuning and walk back tuning, don't know what Node Tuning is:redface:

Onesock
05-28-2009, 06:38 AM
I am not saying don't tune your bow. I am saying is a person doesn't have to dwell on bow tuning 24/7. I don't know about killing a deer with a bent arrow or a dull broadhead and I wouldn't suggest trying it.

Bow Walker
05-28-2009, 08:50 AM
The bow tuning that we're talking about here is for "techie-wannabes" and shooters who are on the anal retentive side of obsessive-about-equipment-performance.

That being said - I fit the categories so it's very interesting to me. GRIV's article on Arrow Nodes (i believe the one i have saved was from Geo.) is a very good read to those who are interested in such things. There is a whole lot more to shooting than just flinging arrows down range, whether it be with cables 'n wheels, or with stick 'n string.

Onesock
05-28-2009, 01:05 PM
You are correct Bow Walker. There are things like learning how to bow hunt. Learning about your quarry. Learning where animals travel, where they bed and when they feed. Pre-season scouting and late season scouting. Shed hunting. Finding new hunting area's. You are right, there certainly is alot more to shooting a bow than flinging arrows down range! If a person wants to spend all their time being anal about how their arrows can hit a quarter sized target at 50 yards, go for it. Myself, I would rather spend the time out of doors learning about the animals I will be bow hunting and killing one at 5 yards!!!!