PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Canada's exotic game

Seabass
11-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Well maybe not exotic but uncommon anyway. What I'm refering to is the animals of the north, far north. Polar bear, Walrus, and Muskox. I wouldn't want to hunt Polar bears or Walrus, but Muskox I think would be neat. Are these animals protected or are tags and or lehs avalble? Anyone know how muskox meat is? How does one go about finding these things out?

Cheers

Seabass

MB_Boy
11-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Seabass.....I know you can hunt MuskOx, but I would go on to the provincial gov't websites for the Yukon, NWT and Nunavut to see what you may be able to find out.

The meat.....I had it years ago at a Sportsman's dinner in Winnipeg, but I can't quite recall how it was.

Ltbullken
11-24-2005, 05:44 PM
... exotic game! Now we're talkin'! :biggrin:

LOC
11-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Muskox tastes great! There is a meat shop here in Langley (Heratige Meats) that brings it in sometimes. I've bought a few steaks and would rate it right up with elk in taste / tenderness.

sniperontheridge
11-27-2005, 10:28 PM
a hunt like that would be a adventure .i woud take a polar bear and a muskox.for sure.i would be curius as to how much would a trip like this cost.?.say for 2 or 3 weeks.

BCHunter
11-28-2005, 12:37 PM
i've heard that a Polar Bear hunt is $15000,

CanAm500
12-12-2005, 09:18 PM
i've heard that a Polar Bear hunt is $15000,

Holy crap!!!

fester
12-12-2005, 09:30 PM
a polar bear hunt is on average $20000-25000 US you can arrive at the hunting camp by snow machine but the hunt must be performed by dog sled

Crimson Viking
12-12-2005, 09:34 PM
I'd love to go on a Musk Ox hunt. That'd be very cool. BUT the $$$$$ probably very high. So i'll stick to more common game till I make a sack load of cash.

CanAm500
12-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Or grow a money tree in your backyard :)

Crimson Viking
12-13-2005, 08:54 PM
If only I could find some seeds for that tree.........

islandhunter
12-13-2005, 09:41 PM
how about several money plants????

huntersdad
12-14-2005, 06:59 AM
how about those fallow deer. Do they Qualify as a Canadian exotic

1/2 slam
12-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Muskox hunts will run you from 3500 to 5000...depending on who you go with. Getting there is another matter.

olek_Z_bc
12-21-2005, 12:47 PM
I was wondering the same thing thing a while back (in regards to Polar bear acctually). Anyhow I did some digging and found out that like in BC, you have to have a "guide" with you when you are out of province. Now it does not need to be crazy expensive if you can get someone who knows a guide to "hook you up" You don't need to pay that much if you opt for a no frills package. i.e. you get there (YT or NWT) yourself not as part of the package, you get a guide who can take you out get you a nice critter, etc. in a short amount of time thus he is not spending time in the tundra with just one client, etc. Also I know that there are group hunts too, one or two guides for a group of up to six people, also makes things cheaper. Make some phone calls do a google search on guides up there in the north and contact them. You might be pleasently surprised.

Also check out these websites:

The licenses and tags are by no means expensive (it is the guiding part you need to hustle with)

Yukon hunting regs:
http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/hunting/hunting.html

NWT hunting regs:
http://www.nwtwildlife.rwed.gov.nt.ca/hunting/default.htm

(edited to add this link for a picture of muskox hunting area... I'll agree it's remote)
http://www.nwtwildlife.rwed.gov.nt.ca/hunting/graphics/pgmuskox.gif

Don't ever give up on something you want to do, try harder ;) :)

Cheers,

Alex

p.s. I'd be up for a group hunt on any of those crazy northern critters.

death-junky
04-05-2006, 12:48 PM
how about those fallow deer. Do they Qualify as a Canadian exotic
I was thinking the same. I know they are on the island but what i dont know is are there any restrictions, where to hunt them and is it even worth my time.
ttyal
Riley

riden
07-07-2006, 09:43 AM
I was wondering the same thing thing a while back (in regards to Polar bear acctually). Anyhow I did some digging and found out that like in BC, you have to have a "guide" with you when you are out of province. Now it does not need to be crazy expensive if you can get someone who knows a guide to "hook you up" You don't need to pay that much if you opt for a no frills package. i.e. you get there (YT or NWT) yourself not as part of the package, you get a guide who can take you out get you a nice critter, etc. in a short amount of time thus he is not spending time in the tundra with just one client, etc. Also I know that there are group hunts too, one or two guides for a group of up to six people, also makes things cheaper. Make some phone calls do a google search on guides up there in the north and contact them. You might be pleasently surprised.

Also check out these websites:

The licenses and tags are by no means expensive (it is the guiding part you need to hustle with)

Yukon hunting regs:
http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/hunting/hunting.html

NWT hunting regs:
http://www.nwtwildlife.rwed.gov.nt.ca/hunting/default.htm

(edited to add this link for a picture of muskox hunting area... I'll agree it's remote)
http://www.nwtwildlife.rwed.gov.nt.ca/hunting/graphics/pgmuskox.gif

Don't ever give up on something you want to do, try harder ;) :)

Cheers,

Alex

p.s. I'd be up for a group hunt on any of those crazy northern critters.

I would be curious about success ratios on these hunts.

I lived in the arctic a while back and all the bear hunting I know of happened on the pack ice. You and I are not heading out on the pack ice, it is not a friendly place.

Now the adventure would be fantastic, but I wouldn't plan on much success.

bighornbob
07-07-2006, 10:19 AM
It all depends on the amount of permits. Ig the outfitter only gets 10 permits a year and he sells them for 5000 each and does every year. he wont cut anyone a deal for a no frills hunt when he gets full price each time.

If the outfitter has left over tags every year you may get him to drop you off somewhere and that may be it.

BHB

PGKris
07-07-2006, 10:38 AM
I saw a show where a guy shot a Muskox with his bow! Now that would be some kind of hunting! Probably cost me my last kidney though....damn kidney thieves!

riden
07-07-2006, 10:45 AM
It all depends on the amount of permits. Ig the outfitter only gets 10 permits a year and he sells them for 5000 each and does every year. he wont cut anyone a deal for a no frills hunt when he gets full price each time.

If the outfitter has left over tags every year you may get him to drop you off somewhere and that may be it.

BHB

Not sure about the western Arctic, but in the eastern Arctic (where most of the polar bear are) so many tags are issued per village. Then they may have a local draw and to make a buck they the owner of the tag often guides an american.

No great loss to the inuit, american shoots bear, takes some steaks home, takes the coat and they get $20k in return. Eventually the tag gets filled, it just may not be the inuk hunter who shoots it.

So I can't see many/any left over tags for a bear. A hide alone can be worth over $10k.