PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

MoodyBlueBroncoblues
11-22-2005, 09:30 AM
What you would do if you were out and noticed someone breaking a regulation; for example using electric calls for ducks or not being far enough away from a road etc... Should you say something to them or report them or not do anything at all?

brotherjack
11-22-2005, 09:43 AM
I think it would depend on the regulation in question. If I saw a poacher, or anyone of that ilk (sound shooters, etc), you bet your butt I'd be on the cell phone reporting them in half a second. I'd take pictures, plates, even follow them to make sure they didn't get away, etc. I got no patience for that kind of nonsense.

But other stuff, like say for instance I saw some guy see a nice deer, jump out of the truck, and then after getting of the road he's legally maybe a couple meters too close to the road still when he takes his shot - I'd let that slide without calling it in probably (obviously, depending on the circumstances).

I guess you could summarize my thoughts by saying: blatant disregard for law or ethics I'd report immediately. The little accidental violations of the type that all of us have probably comitted at least once in our lives, I'd probably let slide.

Thunderstix
11-22-2005, 10:07 AM
I am with BroJack on this. Using his example it would be different if the guy was shooting back towards the road as the whole reason for that rule is one of safety. Circumstances would dictate.

Fred
11-22-2005, 05:24 PM
I had the same thought Stix. Also I will not tolerate vandalism or thieving! :mad: Fred

Kirby
11-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Using electronic calls, I would report. The few yards to short, I'd likely let it go. Couple of weeks ago me and afriend were getting ready to head into a fir ridge that I know to hold some good bucks, as we started walking in, two quads drove right past us, ducked under the road closure sign and drove away. I stopped, walked back to my truck, took out my cell, and called the CO. Anything that I find they are openly breaking the law, I'll report, if I think the guy has made an honest mistake, ie a few yards short of being far enough off the road, I'd likely let it slide.

Kirby

sealevel
11-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Its a hard call the law is the law so what do you let go. Our bc government has put the policeing on us. Is one law ok to break but another one is not. Where do you draw the line on what you let go.Just my thoughts.

11-22-2005, 06:06 PM
l would do absolutely nothing.......l look to our federal/provincial gov't for guidence as to what is right and what is wrong!! :shock: ......
That being said, l don't endorse or agree with folks who don't follow the rules, but far be it for me to pass judgement on my fellow man. I think we pay enough taxes that there should be enough money for educational programs to teach new hunters proper ethics and laws governing conduct in the bush, and enough bush cops to enforce the existing laws, without expecting the general public to turn each other in.

Gateholio
11-22-2005, 06:14 PM
If it's a safety issue, I usuaolly yell at them myself.:biggrin:

Many "procedural" violations I wouldn't bother to report. Liek too close to a road etc. Among other things, it's thier word against mine.

If someone is blatantly breaking the laws, or wasting animals, killing animals out of season, I'll report them.

CamoChris30-30
11-22-2005, 06:15 PM
. I think we pay enough taxes that there should be enough money for educational programs to teach new hunters proper ethics and laws governing conduct in the bush, and enough bush cops to enforce the existing laws, without expecting the general public to turn each other in.
And if you belive that, I have some ocean front property in Alberta I'll sell you realy cheap.:biggrin:

Ddog
11-22-2005, 06:32 PM
do you think it would make a difference if you reported them,i mean if you saw them and the CO didn't do you think they would get charged? i dunno tough call being in a road closure area and two guys drive on by is a real piss off, and i would report them to but if the CO doesnt see them it ends up your word against theirs..
a few years back whilst i was sitting in my treestand i watched a doe and her two fawns walk under me(that i seen all year long) and walk into the field,i then watched this guy, who i know, sneek up on these deer and shoot the mother in the neck with a shotgun! long story short he wnet to get his vehicle or somthing and i climb down ran out picked up the doe and carry her into the bush, hid her with branches and sticks and stuff and called the CO. we recovered the deer but since he didnt see the guy it was my word against his. Remember i know this guy! It went to court and he got off!!! Even though i know him,witnessed it,recovered the animal he won the case.
I would still report anything i saw that was illegal, i think it would still be worth it to see justice done to those who dont abide by the laws!

Driftwood
11-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Put yourself in a CO's shoes. What would he / she do?
Personally, report any and all violations.
We are all subject to the same laws and to let something "slide" or do "nothing" is not only irresponsible, but down right dissappointing to think that any "ethical hunter" would allow such practice.
If you would turn a blind eye to a violation, what else would you ignore?????????
416 - as a senior member, I can't believe you would take such a stand. I teach my children to uphold the law and respect the people who enforce it. I hope that I never run into you and I think you are a perfect example of what is wrong in our society. Take a stand for what is right and wrong and live by it!!!!

oldtimer
11-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Report it !!!! we have a bad enough reputation that anything we can do to improve it will help. Use Kirby's example.
416--- do you know how big the north is ???? do nothing ???? I can't believe a fellow hunter would say that.

Freshtracks
11-22-2005, 08:22 PM
:| Interesting replies. I'll try and answer The original question in it's context.

If I was out and seen someone breaking a regulation.

1) Using electronic call for ducks (illegal btw): I would take as much info that would be required for the CO and then probably confront them and enquire if they know the regs regarding it's use and how they are breaking the law. Their answer would determine if the call went throught to the CO. And I'd do it right there in front of them. After I ask them to smile for the camera of course. :smile:

2) Not being far away from the road: This ones a little more minor and I'd try and politely inform the (probably unaware) hunter(s). Again an ignorant reply would only make matters worse for them.

When venturing afield, whether it be big game, small game or birds, as a hunter it is YOUR RESPONSIBLITY to try and educate the uninformed, report violators/poachers and make every effort to conduct yourself in a ethical manner. Especially when the public might have access to viewing your endevours.

416 ... your post surprises me, as it has others. I'll assume you're posting such out of frustration from IYO a lack of sufficient enforcement. Acceptable, but if we all turn a blind eye, our hunting heritage is the one that suffers.

Ddog... :eek: I find your story regarding the poacher/court case disheartening. But we must stay diligent.

my 2 bits.:mrgreen:

11-22-2005, 09:13 PM

l am not one, and don't make any pretenses of being such, or try to anticipate what he/she would do. I am not trained, are you?

We are all subject to the same laws

Would these be "same laws" that were applied recently to Trudeau's ex-wife?:?: :wink:

416 - as a senior member, I can't believe you would take such a stand. I teach my children to uphold the law and respect the people who enforce it.

Which part can't you believe...l am a senior member or l don't have the same mind set as you? Congrats on teaching your children what you think is right.....we all try and do the best with the tools we have to work with, but l am having a hard time connecting your child rearing habits with my personal opinion. Do you also teach them the right to free speech?

I hope that I never run into you and I think you are a perfect example of what is wrong in our society.

I could say the same thing about you, but l won't, l try not to pass judgement on my fellow man......it has a way of coming back to bite you in the ass!!

Freshtracks........your right! l am frustrated with the way things are:roll:

Driftwood
11-22-2005, 10:46 PM
If your "personal opinion" is to turn a blind eye to a violation of any law, which is the general point you are trying to make, than I as well as others are going to take offence to it.
You keep saying it is not up to you to "pass judgement on your fellow man", but this isn't Sunday school.
We all have the OBLIGATION to uphold the law and further more to ensure that law breakers do not get away with such things. It is the actions of these few that give all hunters a bad name and gives more power to the anti hunting groups and tree huggers that are continuously lobying our politicians to take away our legal rights and freedom to live the life style we choose. (Ontario spring bear hunts as a small example).

Freedom of speech is one thing, disregard for what is right is another!

Oh, and by the way, my children know this! My 7 year old read your comments and I quote "Why wouldn't he do something if someone else is doing something bad?" Perhaps you can learn something from this.

Thunderstix
11-23-2005, 12:25 AM
Personally, report any and all violations.
We are all subject to the same laws and to let something "slide" or do "nothing" is not only irresponsible, but down right dissappointing to think that any "ethical hunter" would allow such practice.
If you would turn a blind eye to a violation, what else would you ignore?????????
416 - as a senior member, I can't believe you would take such a stand. I teach my children to uphold the law and respect the people who enforce it. I hope that I never run into you and I think you are a perfect example of what is wrong in our society. Take a stand for what is right and wrong and live by it!!!!

I understand where you are coming from and basically agree with you, but it seems that every one has their own "line they don't cross". People tend to feel strongly about some aspects of the law, but not others, and conversely others feel strongly about the opposite ones. I have a friend who is a commercial fisherman and loves to hunt. He would not even think about knowingly breaking a hunting law, but when fishing thinks it is his right to shoot every seal that he sees....this is illegal.
My pet peeve (it drives me crazy because it causes accidents) is people who drift through stop signs, and I would say 9 out of 10 people do it, but I do not, not ever, and I'm not kidding. But....I do go over the speed limit (not excessive or anything, but nevertheless, I'm still over). I think you see my point. Having said that though, I do honestly strive for integrity in everything that I do, but I'm not perfect.

Driftwood
11-23-2005, 08:06 AM
Hey 416

After having a night to cool down and sleep on it, I want to apologize for the harshness of a few of my comments. I don't take back anything I said regarding upholding the law and I will always stand up for what is right.
I would like to meet you one day as healthy debate is good for the heart and soul.
Driftwood.