PDA

View Full Version : Cougar hunting

timberhunter
11-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Just figured I'd stir the pot a little with this question.

In your opinion what is the best breed of dogs for cougar/bear hunting.
And give your reasons for your opinion please.

Marc S.

houndogger
11-22-2005, 07:22 AM
Timber,

Now I am sure everyone is going to give you a different answer on this one. I for one am not into dogs for any color or certain look, I just want the best all round hunting dogs out there. I have one registered Treeing Walker, two Walker, Redbone crossed, one Majestic which is half bloodhound 1/4 blackandtan 1/4 bluetick. I also have a Lepard Cur I just got this summer and am learning about. I also have a pup I brought up from Utah that is the most hinz 57 there is probably. He is just been good dog bred to good dog for over thirty years. He has bluetick, redtick, walker, blackand tan, high tan, majestic. Any dog will get her done that is for sure. If you were going to be real serious bear hunt I would run only plotts and lepard curs. If you want to run both then take your pic. The best is to get out and hunt with some dogs and see what you are looking for in a dog. In a few years I will be breeding my Majestic to my bluetick cross if they allturn out to what I want. I may also keep a line of lepard curs going. What I want in a dog is obeidence, nose, speed, stamina a little bit of grit and lots of heart.

Good luck Dave

Onesock
11-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Jack Russel Terrier. That is if the snow isn't too deep. Mind you I am no good either if the snow is too deep. (4inches). Go ahead with the short jokes now.

timberhunter
11-22-2005, 08:29 AM
I'd never do that Kirk :p , good luck at rendel.

Marc

Sniper
11-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Different breeds of hound seem to have distinctive charactaristics but keep in mind that they all supposedly decended from English Fox hounds so they ultimately have some common ancestry they are just different colours. The best dry ground hounds I have seen belong to Rod Hardie in Port Alberni they are 1/4 English Fox Hound and 3/4 Walker he has a few 4 month old pups right now if you are interested, he is in the book.

Barracuda
11-22-2005, 12:00 PM
are Hardy's dogs not pure walkers?

I have a litter of treeing walkers on the ground now . as with any of the hound breed it depends how they are bred (liniege) there are good hounds for cat and bear in all of them , you want Desire , nose ,speed, stamina/drive and voice (the order is really dependent on a persons likes or dislikes) I think most hound guys will simply want the best blood they can find for the game and terrain they hunt.

take a look at my hounds in the gallery .

and here is a pedigree

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3192

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showgallery.php?si=&thumbsonly=0&perpage=24&cat=500&ppuser=208&thumbcheck=0&page=1&sortby=&sorttime=0&way=&cat=500

houndogger
11-23-2005, 07:07 AM
Can't really say there is what you would call dry ground lion hunting here on the coast with all the mositure we have here. Helps hold the scent alot longer then the boys get in the south parts.

Hey Kirk my smallest dog is murder on bears and cat just cause she can get through that thick 2nd and 3rd growth we have here. So short people must have a use also!:grin:

Cudas pups would definetly get you some game in a tree. Check them out.

Barracuda
11-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Different breeds of hound seem to have distinctive charactaristics but keep in mind that they all supposedly decended from English Fox hounds so they ultimately have some common ancestry they are just different colours. The best dry ground hounds I have seen belong to Rod Hardie in Port Alberni they are 1/4 English Fox Hound and 3/4 Walker he has a few 4 month old pups right now if you are interested, he is in the book.

Sniper if you like Rod Hardys dogs you should like these pups I Have . The fellow that is Rods partner (George Tickell) has the twin Kennel bloodlines to Rods (treeing walkers) on the mainland and is the owner of the sire to these pups (Geo-tecs Tommy) . Tommy roars like a lion and i have a male pup that i am keeping that has that distinctive deep roar (wow!) They are all loud (read hearing protection in confined proximity when the get going :eek: ) really happy with this litter .
If you are interested send me a pvt message and we can work something out . I would much rather the ones left go to hunters . They go in for shots :shock: tommorrow so they will be up to date.

Sniper
11-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Barracuda, My son could use another pup but he is still a renter it would be a little dicey getting more dogs at this point. I didn't realize you knew old Rod, my son went out with Rod last weekend to do a little training man his dog sally has got one incredible nose! very few and far between dogs like that. There does seem to be some differences between different breeds Jordans Redbones are extremely gritty dogs he took a picture from last weekend of his young female 4ft up a big Fir tree hanging like a squirrel just her toe nails dug into the cracks in the bark holding her, pretty funny!

Barracuda
12-01-2005, 12:29 PM
I havn't met Rod Hardy on the island yet , but i know George his partner here on the mainland which is the same blood .
Two of these pups are being kept for their Gene pool .
Hopefully i will be getting over there in the near future .

houndogger
12-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Cuda have you been out in this recent snow fall? It isn't snowing here again yet but it is in Naniamo so I should be out in the morning again if I can get off work.

Good luck Dave8-)