PDA

View Full Version : releases

born2hunt
05-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Ive always shot my compound bow using finger tabs and i'm now thinking about going to a release, my question is have you ever had a release fail and prematurely release causing a dry fire or a half cocked fire ? just wondering what one would be reliable and which one to try ?

beardown
05-03-2009, 07:56 PM
i have been bow hunting for around 8 years i'm no expert but i have tried a few. my favorite release is the jim fletcher .44 caliper. it's priced around $60 bucks. i've probably shot 1000 arrows with that release and it's never failed. i used to shoot fingers and i'll never go back.

Andy83
05-03-2009, 08:06 PM
don't buy a cobra. I had one fail 2 years ago and i lost a nice broadhead into a tree.

Ambush
05-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I've had a few and never had one fail. I've been using a Tru-Ball Short'n-Sweet for the last two years and realy like it. It has a trigger forward design for a bit more draw length and single jaw for fast, easy hook ups.

Buy a quality release of the design you like and you'll be happy. I much prefer the nylon strap connection to the head rather than the metal rod. I also prefer a buckle wrist strap to the velcro. But again, just personal preference.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-03-2009, 08:48 PM
I have a Cobra Green Mamba, A Carter quick shot, a Carter Hunter, a Carter Target 3 and a Tru-Fire Judge ....

the Mamba single closed jaw Caliper and Judge is a 2 jaw Caliper design .. the Target 3 is a closed jaw hand held, the Hunter is an open jaw hand held and the quick shot is an open jawed wrist strap

none have never failed on me in a hunting situation ... I say that because I have fiddled with spring tension on all my releases ... Much like a good rifle has a custom trigger ..... so does a good archery set up

BlacktailStalker
05-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Had a tru ball "stick" and I missed a book blacktail at 35 yards by 10' when I "wiggled" it at full draw :cry:
Farside got to watch that one :lol:

Bow Walker
05-04-2009, 09:24 AM
I've tried a lot of releases over the years. The one(s) that I like and have settled on are the ones made by the Jim Fletcher company - namely the Hunter Shorty, the Flathead, and the one that I use for target and for hunting the Hook.

http://www.fletcherarchery.com/prd_all.html

The only time I ever had a release fail was many years ago. It failed had a premature release just after I'd fiddled with the adjustment(s) on the tension for the trigger. Other than that - never had a failure of any sort.

The Flathead..8-)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/lg_flathead1.jpg

The Fletch Hook - best hunting release - ever...;)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/lg_fletchhook31.jpg

Sideofabarn
05-04-2009, 09:50 AM
I have to say I'm hooked on the tru ball short n sweet after trying Ambush's release last week. I have one that apparently doesn't really work with me and my bow. I think it only failed once though, but that was due to a loose screw (not me!) on the caliper. I like the little hook thingy on the short n sweet release.

81bimmerguy
05-11-2009, 09:15 AM
I use a short n' sweet release and it has never failed me in the 1 year I have had it. Only release I have seen fail was my buddies Cobra ( not sure what model ). One of the nuts on the steel shaft backed off so much that when he drew back it let go at half draw. This is the reason I usally try to draw back on target, I have seen too many people "shoot for the stars" when drawing and can only imagine where the arrow would go during a 3d shoot or backyard event.

born2hunt
08-21-2009, 07:57 PM
well now that iv,e went to a release , the problem is my draw lenght is way to long . i cant seem to get anything to line up , im guessing a trip to bucky's is in works?

ROEBUCK
08-21-2009, 08:20 PM
ive had my tru ball copperhead for 6 years its never let me down! $100

Walksalot
08-28-2009, 06:08 AM
Yes I have.:icon_frow I was hunting whitetail in the late season and it was colder than.. well it was cold. I was hunkered down in some bush waiting for the little buggers to show themselves. I noticed a few branches in my way so I removed them by breaking them down at ground level. It came to my attention that I had released my release from the confines of my warm hand and it was now dangling in the snow. My release froze up instantly. I tried to warm it in my hand and blow the moisture out. I then affixed it to my string and held my finger on the back of the trigger. The deer started to appear and I had a fine selection of does to harvest and settled on a chubby one less than 20 yds away. I was in the process of drawing my bow when the release released. The arrow went a good 10 feet and the bush erupted with flags and pink eye.

Vader
08-28-2009, 08:48 AM
When I converted to the short and sweet after fingers for 15 yrs.. I left the damn thing back at the truck about six times.. not the thing you want about 2 miles back working a big bull... got a system now... only positive thing is having shot fingers forever.. I was ok with doing that.. yardage confidence was quite a bit shorter mostly due to bow setup fingers vs release. Tried a cobra.... love the short n sweet..

Stone Sheep Steve
08-28-2009, 09:08 AM
I use a short n' sweet release and it has never failed me in the 1 year I have had it. Only release I have seen fail was my buddies Cobra ( not sure what model ). One of the nuts on the steel shaft backed off so much that when he drew back it let go at half draw. This is the reason I usally try to draw back on target, I have seen too many people "shoot for the stars" when drawing and can only imagine where the arrow would go during a 3d shoot or backyard event.

Hmmmm....heard the exact same thing happen to a guy that I know. Possibly same guy?? Did you have to drive around the neighbourhood looking for his arrow??:o

SSS

catwelder
08-28-2009, 09:26 AM
short and sweet works for me