PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Red Stag and Tarh hunt!

BiG Boar
05-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Just heading out the door, will post lots of pictures once the animals are down. Really excited about this hunt, its been on my mind for almost a year now! Going with ASJ trophy hunting. Check thier website if you want to see what were after, supposed to be shooting me a 400 SCI super gold stag!

RiverBoatFantasy
05-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I hope you dont get airsick from the fancy helicopter maneouvers!

BCbillies
05-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Best wishes on this adventure! You state "supposed to be shooting me" . . . I am assuming you're the one shooting the stag? ;-) Don't you have a grizz tag to fill in a few weeks time?

Mik
05-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun, good luck.

David Heitsman
05-10-2009, 05:54 AM
I hunted the South Island in 2006 and really enjoyed it. I found the gold stag a wee bit too 'canned' for my liking but then I negotiated a freee range stag that was as fun as any BC elk hunt.

As to the heli comment earlier, my tahr was heli asisted and I can honestly say that was one of the most exciting things I've ever done.
I had to physically jump down 6 - 8 feet onto a steep shale slope from a hovering chopper. It's not hunting by any stretch but exciting nonetheless. To get back into the chopper they hover it as low as possible and you have to jump up onto the skids and pull yourself into the aircraft. It's wild.
Timid and heavy guys would have to keep flying to somewhere flatter I'm afraid.

Blainer
05-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Best wishes on this adventure! You state "supposed to be shooting me" . . . I am assuming you're the one shooting the stag? ;-) Don't you have a grizz tag to fill in a few weeks time?
I recall Africa as well,later in the year.
We should get to see some great pictures starting soon.:razz:
I'm thinking David ,who just posted above,may have just been to Africa.
No?Pictures?

David Heitsman
05-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Blainer,

Yes we just got back a couple days ago and I'm still getting up at
2:30 AM thinking I've slept in. The jet lag really took it out of me this time.

As soon as I can get half slam over, I'll gladly post some pics.

He really shot the place up.