PDA

View Full Version : shot size

dave
11-20-2005, 09:33 PM
I started the season shooting winchester 3in #3s and I was pretty happy. The gun went bang and things sometimes fell down, which was good but there were lots of second shots on cripples. I started shooting Federal #2s with a wad wizard choke this weekend and things seem to have improved. More of the ducks I hit seem to drop like stones. The velocity for both loads is above 1500 ft/sec so they are both stepping out pretty fast. Anyone else notice a difference between #3s and #2s? I'm just wondering if it is the shot size or the choke. (I guess I'll have to shoot some #3s through the new choke). Of course I may have just had a good weekend.

Marc
11-20-2005, 10:17 PM
When I switched to steel shot I tried #3's and #2's . If the birds are in close or you're shooting teal then the #3's will do fine but if you're getting big mallards and the northern birds you're better off using #2 or even BB. I use a pattern master choke tube for ducks that realy keeps the pattern tight. I think you'll find you'll kill more ducks dead using the #2's then the 3's.