PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Calls?

Junorr500
04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
What might be the best call for a begginer turkey hunter? Im heading down towards beaverdell for a turkey/bear/gopgher hunt and i have no idea how to call turkeys. Or even where to go in that area. Oh well still will be a fun day of exploring at the least.

dirtybucker
04-27-2009, 08:22 PM
i use the "black widow" glass friction call and it works great, good luck out there

Lil Bow Pete
04-27-2009, 08:25 PM
I was down that way on the weekend. Saw a few birds but I have no idea how to call them. I just make some noise with the calls I have and hope for the best. I had one coming in to my decoys, in full strut, but he didn't make a sound. He came from behind and , of course thats when I decided to give my butt a rest and stand for a bit. I saw him. He saw me and it was over. A learning experience. Got caught unarmed by a tom that walked by at 30yds. Hunting turkey sure is fun. I'll be watching this thread for any info I can use on my next trip.

gary murray
04-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Do what i did. Go on UTube and type in turkey calls. My friend Rob loaned me his Lonesome Hen call by Knight and Hale and i try to match the sound the pros make on the video. They show you the different sounds you can make. Also they have actual hunts where they are calling and the tom responding. This is going to be my first hunt ever hunting turkey and i know there's going to be more to it than just making the right sound. Check out the videos on UTube and it will at the very least give you an idea on how to call them.

Gary

huntwriter
04-28-2009, 07:15 PM
In my opinion, shaped by 15 years of guiding and hunting turkeys, every beginner should have at least three calls to start with.

These are:

A locator call. Crow is best because they are everywhere and they do not eat turkeys.
A box call to reach way out there and connect with the birds or in high wind to reach that extra distance.
A pot cal with slate or glass surface for close in calling and to produce the soft purrs and yelps toms like to hear.
However, if you go hunting now it is to late. In order to be successful at calling turkeys it is imperative to be able to reproduce the correct sounds. It doesn’t matter how many different turkey sounds you can make but it matters very much how WELL you can call.

As a beginner you should be able to make a perfect yelp, cluck and purr in different sequences. Without that your success hinges solely on luck. Of course you should scout too and know where the birds go and come from.

Road hunting turkeys does not work well at all.

Good luck. :-D You needed it if you never hunted turkeys before and don't know how to call, and no, you cannot learn how to call and hunt from YouTube as some suggest.:roll:

huntwriter
04-28-2009, 07:18 PM
I had one coming in to my decoys, in full strut, but he didn't make a sound. He came from behind and , That's what toms do halfway through the season. The smart ones anyway.

gary murray
04-28-2009, 11:31 PM
In my opinion, shaped by 15 years of guiding and hunting turkeys, every beginner should have at least three calls to start with.

These are:

A locator call. Crow is best because they are everywhere and they do not eat turkeys.
A box call to reach way out there and connect with the birds or in high wind to reach that extra distance.
A pot cal with slate or glass surface for close in calling and to produce the soft purrs and yelps toms like to hear.
However, if you go hunting now it is to late. In order to be successful at calling turkeys it is imperative to be able to reproduce the correct sounds. It doesn’t matter how many different turkey sounds you can make but it matters very much how WELL you can call.

As a beginner you should be able to make a perfect yelp, cluck and purr in different sequences. Without that your success hinges solely on luck. Of course you should scout too and know where the birds go and come from.

Road hunting turkeys does not work well at all.

Good luck. :-D You needed it if you never hunted turkeys before and don't know how to call, and no, you cannot learn how to call and hunt from YouTube as some suggest.:roll:

I only suggest utube because some of us arent guides or as seasoned at turkey hunting as some suggest :roll:.

huntwriter
04-29-2009, 11:25 AM
I only suggest utube because some of us arent guides or as seasoned at turkey hunting as some suggest :roll:.

YouTube is not a high quality sound provider. In order to hear good quality turkey sounds, which is important if you want to learn to call properly, it is better to either purchase a DVD with turkey vocalization recording on it or visit the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) website where you can listen to, and download for FREE, authentic turkey vocalization (http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/sounds_of_turkeys.html).

Turkey hunting is still new to many hunters here in British Columbia and as a veteran turkey hunter I just try to pass along my knowledge for the benefit of others. I do this not to show off but because I want novice turkey hunters to become successful and enjoy turkey hunting as much as I do.;) With that said, it was not my intend to offend you or anyone else with my earlier post.

gary murray
04-29-2009, 10:29 PM
I just thought you were taking a poke at me when you used the rolling of the eyes emote. I know nothing about turkeys and this is my first hunt ever and all i have to go on is whats on utube. I know most of what i need to know is by being in the field. I checked out your homepage and you seem like the kind of person i could learn from because i don't know anyone around Penticton where i'm from that even hunts turkey so i rely on Utube as silly as it is to some people. I'm heading to Rock Creek tomorrow to try for them and my friend lent me his Lonesome Hen call. From what i read about you on your home page i can tell you are a very experienced hunter with these birds and i know absolutely nothing about them. My friends have seen them over there and i seen some when i was over that way on a whitetail hunt in the Christian Valley and that's all i have to go on. I probably wont even see any this weekend but maybe i'll luck out but that is all it will be is luck if i do nail one because i do know it's a whole different ball game than hunting grouse or any other game bird. Anyhow Othmar, sorry we got off on the wrong foot here and hopefully you can give me some pointers in the future.
Thanx
Gary

huntwriter
04-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Whenever you need to know something about turkey hunting feel free to ask away. I will do my best to give my honest poinion.

Junorr500
04-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Heres a thought, how bout you take us two newbies on a turkey hunt next weekend and teach us the tricks then we can all be friends

huntwriter
04-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Heres a thought, how bout you take us two newbies on a turkey hunt next weekend and teach us the tricks then we can all be friends

Now that right there is a smart idea. The trouble is that I am already booked out for next week. Otherwise I would have taken you with me in a heartbeat. I head out for a turkey hunt with a few good friends and my cameraman and then it is off to Tennessee to film the rest of the spring turkey hunting season.

Where were you when I gave all the turkey hunting seminars in British Columbia? Not all is lost though. There are still a few dates open on my one-to-one turkey hunting courses (http://www.othmarvohringer.com/classes.html).8-) Although it will be to late for this year but good for next year or this fall.;-)