PDA

View Full Version : Is the site slow???

Sitkaspruce
04-27-2009, 05:11 PM
or is it my computer(s)? I have tried the site on the laptop, at work and at home and it seems to take between 10-30 seconds to load a page.

Just curious if others are seeing the same...or is my comps only.

Cheers

SS

scallywag
04-27-2009, 05:14 PM
yeah i am loading quicker then that

lilhoss
04-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Same problem lately,but I think it is our server.We use telus high speed.Hooked up to both mine and the wife's computer.Very slow lately getting anywhere,google,banking,and so.We are constantly getting error messages saying "could not connect to server".Are you telus?We were thinking of switching to shaw high speed,digital tv and phone.

scallywag
04-27-2009, 05:20 PM
yeah shaw all the way i hate telus. the phone service is coming soon for us

Riverratz
04-27-2009, 05:33 PM
no problems with connection time in PG - Telus. 2-4 seconds for page to load, about the same with links.

eastkoot
04-27-2009, 06:01 PM
YES!! I had phoned Telus thinking it was me but other sites like Gunnutz and Weather open 10 times faster.. This site is terrible.. Actually, I opened this at noon and was just able to reply now, that's how slow it is..

Caveman
04-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Curiosity got the better of me, so I logged out and back in and it took about 3 seconds and a search for new posts took .03 of a second. Quick enough for me!!!

eastkoot
04-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I just logged out to try it.. 20 seconds to open the site, another 20 to get into todays new threads. Went into Gunnutz, less than 3 seconds to completly open, less than 2 to open a thread.. Is it just me and Telus on this site or??

moosinaround
04-27-2009, 06:57 PM
The site is ok but a few members are!!:wink:

Steeleco
04-27-2009, 07:10 PM
No issues here in a very long time.

Caveman
04-27-2009, 07:18 PM
The site is ok but a few members are!!:wink:

I was going to go there, but I restrained my self :wink:

HD95
04-27-2009, 07:43 PM
The site loads fast,with shaw.

vanislehunter1
04-27-2009, 07:44 PM
or is it my computer(s)? I have tried the site on the laptop, at work and at home and it seems to take between 10-30 seconds to load a page.

Just curious if others are seeing the same...or is my comps only.

Cheers

SS I'm having the exact same problem, it might be because of the power outage that happened the other day. That's when it got slow for me at least. usually my laptop takes a half second to load, but now it's taking 10+ secs. to download. i was about to start a thread about this too... every other website has been fast for me. It's pretty odd that it's doing this though... maybe call telus.

wetcoastwillie
04-27-2009, 08:03 PM
If your home network is using a router, try resetting it (the router).

Every so often (especially after a power fail... don't ask me why) my network gets bogged down (certain pages take forever to load) ... a simple reset of the router tweaks things back up to 100%.

eastkoot
04-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks wetcoast, finally someone with an answer rather than smart ass remarks about other poeple and their computer skills.. Reset router, if Caveman and Moosin know what that is, and it seems to have solved the problem..

moosinaround
04-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks wetcoast, finally someone with an answer rather than smart ass remarks about other poeple and their computer skills.. Reset router, if Caveman and Moosin know what that is, and it seems to have solved the problem..
Easy there Koot!!! Have some fun and go kill a bear bro, I'm on your side!! Tryin to have a little fun, no hurt intended!! Moosin

Caveman
04-27-2009, 08:36 PM

Never intended to offend, but if you'd like a little help, try loading the free version of Malwarebytes. It will scan your PC and remove the malware, spyware and other issues that have a tendency to bog things down. Good program. The computer Guru's at work from IT use it so it can't be all bad. Another is Avast antivirus.

wetcoastwillie
04-27-2009, 08:44 PM
No prob.... glad to hear it worked.

Just don't ask me for an explanation why or how it only effects certain sites.

:confused::-?:wink:

Fisher-Dude
06-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Those frikken Google Ads seem to be slowing response down a LOT, according to the process monitor on my 'puter! I think they scan the page and then decide on a relevant "Google Ad" to post at the bottom depending on the page's content. I realize they generate revenue for the site, but they suck hugely, and are killing off the speed benefits of the new server, IMO.

Shooter
06-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Yea this site has been horribly slow for me for some time now. I did unplug my router for awhile and plugged it back in but it never seemed to make it any better. Other sites still seem to be pretty decent. I am telus high speed and I even pay more monthly for the EXTREME speed package but don`t really see real world speed benefit from that either.

Sitkaspruce
06-29-2009, 09:47 PM
It is still slow, but only for this site. All other sites are fast and load no problem. I can hit a page here, go to the other BC hunting site, load a page there and read the first two posts before this page finishes loading.

It is only at home though. Work is faster, but still not as fast as the other sites.

Telus does not have a solution and will not replace the router because all others sites are still fast. Maybe my scan, AVG, is scanning all the google sites before loading the page:?::?:

Cheers

SS

bigwhiteys
06-30-2009, 10:44 AM
From a user standpoint.

1. Try something like RegVac or CC cleaner to clean up your registry
2. Try Lavasofts Ad-Aware to remove any spyware or other garbage.
3. Delete your cookies and temporary Internet files.
4. Reset your computer

Malware Bytes is a great removal tool but be careful with it, it's primarily used for cleaning deeper (viral) infections on your pc and depending on what virus/spyware you have there are different processes to remove it correctly.

The above steps will fix most slow loading issues though.

On the server end of things, This websites software relies on MYSQL databases to store and retrieve information, threads, posts, etc...

By default LiquidWeb ( HBC web host) limits the amount of simultaneous connections that can occur to the database at any one time. I think by default it's like 50. If we max that out, you basically have to "wait in line" for a connection to be dropped, so another can begin. We are talking milliseconds here for the most part, aside from the busiest of times.

Marc or Spink can phone the 1-800# that LiquidWeb has for support and have the MYSQL connections increased to something like 200 or more. That should speed things up. And the support at LiquidWeb is outstanding... Never wait more then 2 minutes for an english speaking technician who will be on the issue immediately.

Carl