PDA

View Full Version : I need help on where to hunt Turkey in Rock Creek.

gary murray
04-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I am planning on going to Rock Creek to try for turkey before it closes on May 15th and i don't have a clue where to look for them out that way. When i went whitetail hunting up the Christian Valley last year i seen 20 of them in a guys yard. My friend Rob tried for them last year and he told me there is some that have been seen up on the powerline. He told me when you come down that big hill into Rock Creek, turn left at the gas station and then the next right over the bridge. I think he said the road was called Fish Lk road or Fish Creek road to get there. I have never hunted turkey before so any help on where to go in that area would be appreciated. I've even been spending alot of time on UTube to try and get the hen sounds down pat.

Thanx

Gary

Lil Bow Pete
04-27-2009, 08:41 PM
I was lucky to see one on the road when I first found the place where I hunt. When I got walking around that area I started to see droppings. A sure sign that you are in the right place. I scouted around Rock Creek but I didn't look for sign, only birds. You might not see birds but the sign will tell you if they are in the area. Just what I've learned so far. My first hunt was last weekend.

gary murray
04-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanx Pete.
I never thought i'd see the day that i'd try for a turkey. I guess i'm impressed by their size and the fact that they are not as dumb as grouse. You have to actually fool these birds while remaining completly still. Besides, living in Penticton makes it only a short drive to hunt them so hopefully i'll luck out this weekend.

Gary

Lil Bow Pete
04-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Why would you go to Rock Creek to hunt turkey when there are "reported to be" birds in the Penticton area. If you can find them you have a huge advantage in scouting and learning about turkey. I have to drive from Kamloops for 3hrs. and then hit the ground running. You can gain experience by just being around bird more often. Evan in the off season. I would hunt close to home and get to know the area and the turkeys like the back of my hand. Keep posting. Let us know how you make out.

gary murray
04-29-2009, 08:24 AM
I haven't seen any birds in this area but i have heard that they were put here too. Everybody i've talked to always sees them down in the Rock Creek area or up Mt Baldy. I'm just going down there because i seen some last year on my way to the Christian Valley, my friend Rob has seen them there and a guy i work with has a gold panning claim over there and he's seen them too. Since this is my first time trying for them, i'm just picking a place where i know the birds have been seen to hopefully increase my chances a little. Maybe next year i'll do some research here in Penticton and get out there scouting for them. Thanx Pete and i'll let you know how it goes.