PDA

View Full Version : Turkeys with rimfires?

gerrygoat
04-20-2009, 03:15 PM
I see in the regulations that it is allowed but is it a good thing to try? A shot in the head would work but sounds a bit risky would a good 22 lr hollowpoint in the lungs be better? Hunting for turkeys really interests me and plan to try it hopefully in the next couple of years. I do have a 12 gauge but I'm curious about the rimfires.

steelheadSABO
04-20-2009, 03:31 PM
try cci stingers in a 22 lr in the head one shot and it will be dead or a 22 mag or a 17 hmr will work

Ddog
04-20-2009, 04:43 PM
i use a 22 hollow, and i usually aim for the head or the neck at the body, hasnt failed me yet, in 5 hunts there has been 5 dead turkeys hit the ground in 5 shots. Mind you the furthest shot has only been about 3o yards.

Mr. Friendly
04-20-2009, 05:12 PM
one thing that was stated at the turkey course we had in Merritt was that shooting through the wing feathers was like shooting through armor. a feather was handed around and wow, those things are thick and hefty...doubt anything less then a .22 hornet would penetrate it, so yeh, you need to go for a headshot, and then you run like mad out to it and step on it's neck to keep it down. they like to get up and run away...kinda like a chicken, only with their head on!.

huntwriter
04-20-2009, 06:19 PM
I see you paid attention Mr. Friendly.:wink:

I have no clue why the regulations permit hunting turkeys with a .22. Whoever decided that obviously never hunted these birds before.

A .22 is of all choices to kill a turkey the worst by far. There are countless examples of birds that got lost or wounded by .22 rifles. A shot in the lung area will be to 98% likelihood deflected by the wing feathers. A shot in the head is next to impossible because a turkey barely stands still for the second or two it takes to aim the gun at a very small target. Personally I consider the .22 absolutely useless.

Go with a shotgun and you have nothing to worry about provided you pattern the gun well and stay within a reasonable shooting distance, which is between 15 to max 30 yards.

If it absolutely has to be a .22 make sure you keep it close, no more than 25 yards, and only take frontal chest or “Texas heart shoots”.

There is a good reason why the .22 is outlawed in every American state as turkey hunting caliber.:wink:

boxhitch
04-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Rimfire is suitable for upland birds and small game including coyotes. The .22 is considered a good pest management tool.

KodiakHntr
04-20-2009, 07:18 PM
When I lived in Creston, I tipped a few of them with a 22lr, and a 22 mag...Bang flop flop flop flop......Head shots, wing butt shots, texas heart shots (that one was a bit over 120m with a 22mag though)....Never lost one....
Your mileage may vary....

gerrygoat
04-20-2009, 07:44 PM
The 22 Hornet was mentioned above but the regulations don't allow any centerfires to be used just shotguns, bows and the rimfire cartridges. Looks like if a guy has disipline and doesn't take poor shots a rimfire would work all right.

All I know is all those turkey pictures guys are starting to post are making me hungry :) It looks like it would be a lot of fun to hunt them.

mark
04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Never tried one with a .22, but I will say this, they are tough birds, I seen my buddy body shoot, 2 rounds with a 12 guage 3"mag, on the run, and it didnt even slow down the turkey. Knocked feathers of both times at about 25 yards! They never seem to hold their heads still either, wouldnt reccomend a .22

Crazy.kayaker
04-21-2009, 10:41 PM
odd questions but since turkey are upland game birds you don't need a tag for them correct? Went over the synopsis and didn't see anything about tags for them. I'm going this weekend and I want to make sure I'm all legal.

ratherbefishin
04-22-2009, 05:58 PM
if you had a good .22 and a rest,I see absolutely no reason why a head shot wouldn't drop a turkey right in his tracks-and it would be either a clean hit or a miss.

yamadirt 426
04-22-2009, 10:03 PM
There is a good video on youtube of some guys taking turkeys with a guillotine broad head. They love headshots. Rimfire should work with the right shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSKy3PbddZk

eastkoot
04-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Obviously no one on this thread has shot many turkeys.. If they are hit with 22 they die, neck, head, chest, back they all work.. Feathers do not stop .22 bullets!!!

Ddog
04-23-2009, 11:05 AM
i agree with eastkoot, i have now seen 7 shots with the 22 and 7 dead turkeys. the last one was shot through the wing on the body and the turkey dropped in its tracks and died within a few seconds.

urbanhermit
05-02-2009, 11:37 AM
eastkoot is right. Lots of old timers tipped over a lot of lung shot deer with a 22, never a good a idea to over think things.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-02-2009, 11:47 AM
I think Huntwriters stats are skewed or possibly mistaken (deflected rounds etc... I have shot and missed a few birds in my time with arrows ... I put my pin where i thought the arrow should be ...and went right through the feathers .....

my point is ... Turkey bodys are alot smaller than they look and center mass isnt nessarily center mass ...
That said I have been known to take a turkey with a .22 LR (CCI stinger if anyone cares)
I agree with Urban ... why overthink stuff ..just get out and do it ... its legal in this province ... just do it

urbanhermit
05-02-2009, 12:05 PM
if you were to look into the laws across the border regarding the "use" or "not able to use" rules for the 22 and centerfires, it has more to do with bullet travelling farther distances, an awful lot of there turkey hunting is in close proximity to residential areas. shotgun only laws are previlant, like they are here, to protect the public.

Gateholio
05-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I've only hunted turkeys once, and it was with a shotgun, so I speak somewhat from ignorance, but are turkey feathers tougher than the skulls of goats, sheep, pigs etc? Because .22 bullets penetrate them and take out thier brains just fine....

Monashee
05-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Feathers are excellent at absorbing bullet energy , shotgun pellets are small and slip through the feathers better. Birds don't weigh much and on the wing the impact of a .22 seems like it is lessened somehow. I'm not an expert but have shot many pheasants with a shotgun over the years and other types of birds with a .22 a long time ago.

riflebuilder
05-02-2009, 02:05 PM
I have hunted and shot many turkeys in the US and here. A well placed head or neck shot with the shotgun with a tight choked 12 ga is my prefered set up. That being said I have killed birds with both my bow and a 22lr. All of them dropped in their tracks. Shot placement is critical ALL Turkeys should be shot in the head or neck. Body shot exspecialy with shotguns are low percentage shots and cause a lot of wounded birds to be lost.

TheDuckinator
05-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Those guillotine bow hunters have some pretty intense skill! But in the 50's there was a woman who killed a record breaking grizzly with a .22 so i think it could kill a turkey =P. Heres the link btw http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4364