PDA

View Full Version : Bear Jerky

Broncomarco
11-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Has anyone ever tried or made bear jerky? I'm thinking about making some, any recipies out there? I LOVES my JERKY!:-D

ex bc guide
11-17-2005, 08:27 PM
For all game:layer meat in a tray
add soya sauce evenly
add brown brown sugar
add maple syrup
smoke with alder or hickory
I do not have measurements for this recipe,I just add the ingredients to what looks good and I let it sit overnight in the mix.
Mike

Broncomarco
11-17-2005, 08:31 PM
How thick should the strips of meat be cut at? Do you have any idea ex bc guide? and thanks.

ex bc guide
11-17-2005, 08:35 PM
I cut them into 1/2 or 3/4 inch strips as it will shrink lots,When I make mine I like it like steak peices,I also run some through the meat slicer and make drier jerky.
Mike

Steeleco
11-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Bronco make lots I'll let you know if it's anygood!!!

guntech
11-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Does this process take care of the possible trichinosis problem?

Rob
11-17-2005, 10:48 PM
If you freeze your bear meat long enough that should kill the trich.

guntech
11-17-2005, 11:03 PM

Maybe with pork but some forms in bear may be cold resistant:

2. T. nativa in Alaska bear and walrus meat is cold-resistant. Unlike pork, freezing arctic meat will NOT kill larval cysts. Bear or walrus meat is safe once the entire piece is completely cooked to a gray color. USDA recommends attaining an internal temperature of at least 160° F. Microwaving may not render meat safe as cooking may be uneven.

houndogger
11-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Not to sure about the Bear but I do make moose jerky.
5 teaspoons of salt
5 teaspoons of dried ginger
1 cup of brown sugar
2 teaspoons of black pepper
1 teaspoon of cayannepepper
1.5 cups of soya sauce
2 tablespoons of worchester sauce
1/4 teaspoons of garlicpowder
1.5 cups of pineapple juice
1.5 tablespoons of liquid hickorysmoke
I like to slice the meat strips about a 1/4 inch thick and marrinate in this mixture for a couple of days. Then I use a fruit dehydrator to dry the meat. It can take 8 hours or less, you have to monitor it as some drys faster then others. I also make a hotter batch by sprinkling cayannepepper over the meat on the trays. It is too hot for some but me and the wife love it hot.

brotherjack
11-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Not true. From the CDC (Center for Disease Control) website:

From http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/trichinosis/factsht_trichinosis.htm

Cook wild game meat thoroughly. Freezing wild game meats, unlike freezing pork products, even for long periods of time, may not effectively kill all worms.

Jager
11-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Another little tip. Slice the meat while it is still partially frozen. It makes it a little less frustrating.

What do you think will happen to the Trich if the jerky is smoked or dried in the oven? My guess is it wouldn't get hot enough.

ryanb
12-02-2005, 07:11 PM
I believe in all of Canada there are usually only 5-6 cases of trichonsis a year. Given the number of people that eat bear, and the number of people that I KNOW make uncooked and unfrozen bear products (read: landjaegger, pepperoni etc.), I think the risk is overstated. Besides, if you beat the odds and become infected somehow, its rarely fatal.