PDA

View Full Version : Peep sight's

Hemi
04-14-2009, 07:54 AM
I have 2 problems, first the draw lenght on my parker bow is not the 29" inch it is supposed to be and second my peep seems to large..

Draw lenght is at 30 to long my draw should be around 28.2 is it better to be a touch long or short (if you cannot be bang on) parker bows I believe can only be adjusted in 1 inch increments. So with that said am I better to go to the 28 and let my knock loop make up the rest..

Peep sight, it seems when shooting that my peep being as large as it is I see to much open area (if that makes sense) I find my self looking at the side of the sight which causes my shot to go left. When I adjust my eyeit gets better but I find myself thinking about where my eye should be looking instead of the target.

So will adjusting my draw lenght fix this problem. or am I going to have to do both..

Ambush
04-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Better to be short on the draw length than too long. As you said, you can compensate some with string loop length. Your peep will seem smaller once you reduce your draw length because it will be farther from your eye.

As for the peep size. I like to be able to see my entire sight ring, but no more. I centre the sight ring in the peep, and keeping that picture, I put the pin where I want it. I use a 1/4 inch G5 peep. But my goal is hunting, not target, so the target guys will know better for that.

Hemi
04-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Will shortening my draw require me to move my peep and how is that done. I guess I am better off to take it to a shop and get them to do.

Ron.C
04-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Agree with Ambush, as shorter draw length "within reason" is easier to work with then one that is too long. But you can shoot off the string with no loop, and shoot well. It just limits your option at whick peep sights to use. Some also say this is harder on the string/center serving. I shot one of my PSE bows off the string for 2 years, never had an issue.

As far as the peep sight, I like a smaller one for target, and a larger one for hunting. One year I had to pass on an opportunity at a good whitetail buck because in the low light conditions I was in, I couldn't see me pin well enough through the small peep sight to make a shot. Since then, I always use a large peep when hunting.

oldtimer
04-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Hemi, Ted Stern will help you with any problems you have and any adjustments you need. lots of good advice too. Mike

Hemi
04-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Hemi, Ted Stern will help you with any problems you have and any adjustments you need. lots of good advice too. Mike

Who is Ted Stern, yes I need help with this..

huntwriter
04-14-2009, 04:47 PM
What Ambush said. If it is hunting you want to have a large peep sight to gather enough light. All my peep sights are re-drilled to a 1/4" inch. For target it might be a smaller peep sight. I don’t know. I do no target archery shooting, I am a bowhunter.:smile:

Bow Walker
04-14-2009, 05:05 PM
I would probably check to see...if your sight is mounted in it's last holes or can you bring it in closer to the riser...before getting too excited about changing the peep.

Changing draw length by 3/4 to 1 inch is not likely to make any drastic changes to the way you view the peep or the sight. As others have stated - it is better to be a tad too short than a bit too long. In archery that is....

Go see this Ted Stern guy. Get him to check you over while you shoot at a target. Get him to check your form and adjust as necessary.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-02-2009, 09:39 AM
hemi .. you still got my Number ...

I am closer to you than Ted (hes out Buckhorn way on the south side of town) we may go see him anyway if we need a press as my new one isnt complete yet

81bimmerguy
05-11-2009, 09:33 AM
I have a 28" draw length (28.5" actual) on my bow and found the 3/16 peep to be perfect. Even for hunting I would not want to use a 1/4 inch because there is too much room in the peep for guess work, thus causing impact anywhere but where you want to be. I would not shoot off the string directly (without a D-Loop) because IMO it causes too much wear on the string serving. D-loops are much cheaper to replace than a whole string. If you kept your long draw you could always try a new release such as the Tru Ball short and sweet. It is adjustable and you might be able to get the trigger to where you want with the longer draw.