PDA

View Full Version : BC gophers???

Crazy.kayaker
04-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I hear talk on CGN about all the people that shoot the prairie dogs and am wondering where in southern BC they might exist...if at all. This is gonna be my second year hunting so still learning where to find everything but rabbits and grouse. Also if they are around does anyone shoot them and are you looking for a shooting partner. I know they are a PRIVATE property only animal which is why I asked if anyone does shoot them. I live in Kamloops and love camping.

FLHTCUI
04-08-2009, 08:18 PM
I shoot them in Bc, but on Pvt Property....
Good Hunting.
Rob

Crazy.kayaker
04-08-2009, 09:20 PM
I shoot them in Bc, but on Pvt Property....
Good Hunting.
Rob

Can you direct me in the direction I need to go to find someone with them as a problem? I'm getting a new .22 and I want to practice with it :D once I've gotten it set up.

arcadia
04-08-2009, 09:27 PM
What kind of .22 did you get?

Blainer
04-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I beleive what you are mistaking for gophers or prairie dogs are really Columbian Ground Squirrels.
They are all over the grass areas in Manning park and reside in southern B.C. from about Manning park to Alberta.

Crazy.kayaker
04-08-2009, 09:39 PM
What kind of .22 did you get?

Getting a Savage II GL (L for left hand) from WSS for $190. Looking to put some peep sights on it and possibly for when shooting Bench or Gophers a bi-pod. But at this time I have an Ithaca 72 that I shoot 50-75 yards religiously and 100 yards for fun and I'm a good shot too.

I beleive what you are mistaking for gophers or prairie dogs are really Columbian Ground Squirrels.
They are all over the grass areas in Manning park and reside in southern B.C. from about Manning park to Alberta.

Okay well I'm after the funny looking ones that will ruin a field unless you KILL THEM ALL. Like what the big hunt held every year shoots. I've never seen a gopher in my life other then pictures, just marmots that live all over here so I'm new to the whole varmint shooting game.

husky30-06
04-08-2009, 09:50 PM
check out any of the farms in the outlying areas of kamloops aspecially the ones who own horses....gophers are everywhere. i will be working with a local in kamloops that just bought a "RODENATOR" it is a big toss up as to whether i shoot or blow them up:mrgreen::biggrin::biggrin:

NewInWestsyde
04-09-2009, 07:54 AM
check out any of the farms in the outlying areas of kamloops aspecially the ones who own horses....gophers are everywhere. i will be working with a local in kamloops that just bought a "RODENATOR" it is a big toss up as to whether i shoot or blow them up:mrgreen::biggrin::biggrin:

is the rodenator one of those 338lupau for those real tough critters???

rocksteady
04-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Saw my first gopher yesterday ( Yes, it is actually a Columbian Ground Squirrel)...and I get the next 4 days off for a long weekend.....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Already got permission from landowner......

Figure to do a little fly fishing in the cool of the morning and then do a little Rodent Removal with the Lakefield MK II.....:shock::shock:

husky30-06
04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
is the rodenator one of those 338lupau for those real tough critters???

look up "rodenator.com"..........:biggrin::biggrin:

Fixit
05-10-2009, 07:46 PM
look up "rodenator.com"..........:biggrin::biggrin:

lol
oh my god thats funny!!!!

riflebuilder
05-11-2009, 05:35 AM
My step son shot his first two gophers the other day. Talk about excited he was more pumped than when he shot his first deer.

rocksteady
05-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Skook is the GOPHER Valhalla of the East Koots.....Sort of like CLearwater is to trophy Mule Deer (Sorry Dana...)

Johnnybear
05-12-2009, 09:58 PM
I think what you are after are indeed as others have posted Columbian Ground Squirrel's. I don't even know if we call them gophers here in B.C.? I've never shot them and some other threads on here talk about certain closed area's so check it out before you go:idea:.

I've killed hundreds maybe thousands of Richardson Ground Squirrel's in the prairies and they definately have the "gopher" title:-D. Mostly in shooting parties like your talking about and with .22's too:wink:.

rocksteady
05-13-2009, 06:54 AM
You are right..They are ground squirrels, Colomcian Ground Squirrels to be exact.....but we just call tehm "gophers", its easier and shorter...

fozzy
05-15-2009, 02:03 PM
That rodenator is waaay cool. I love shooting them but blowing them up would be cool too! :)

aletheuo
05-15-2009, 07:39 PM
That rodenator is waaay cool. I love shooting them but blowing them up would be cool too! :)

But I didn't see any blood and guts in the trailer... and how am I to retreive the tails for my collection? Doesn't look like much fun to me. Looks like a gopher hunters nightmare... we need Jane Goodall on our side! :biggrin: