PDA

View Full Version : Stupid questionabout hunting dog?

Borcagu
11-16-2005, 01:44 AM
I know it is a stupid question but I would like to hear from you experianced hunters...
I do not have much choice but to have only one dog for hunting ... so having said that my question is:
"What would be the best , in your opinion , universal hunting dog"?
I would like to have a dog for duck (retriver) and upland bird hunting (retriver and pointing) and at the same time to be a good dog with kids at home?"
Thank you all for your time.
Regards,
Borcagu

BOOMSTICK
11-16-2005, 02:15 AM
I use a 660 yamaha grizzly - It retrieves a lot of game for me. It is a little rough with the kids, though.:lol:

Oh wait, that's not a dog. Oops.:cool:

ruger#1
11-16-2005, 06:12 AM
i have German short hairs they are not to bad Ive had one up in rock creek at the end of October, she didn't mind the cold. both my dogs love the water to, Ive herd of some that wont even go in the water.

Dirty
11-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Lab or any kind of retriever

Boo
11-16-2005, 10:06 AM
GSP or GWP, actually any of the German utility dogs.

A Springer or Labrador will work if you could live with a flusher rather than a pointer.

Marc
11-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Yuo can actually get labs that are bred to be pointers if you can believe that. They have a heavier insulated coat for retrieving ducks in cold water conditions. It's also hard to beat a lab as a family dog. They love kids and being part of a family unit.

Marc.

mainland hunter
11-16-2005, 11:15 AM
nova scotian duck troller

Marc
11-16-2005, 11:28 AM

My friend owned two back east. They are too hyper and yippy for my liking. My buddies dogs would retrieve the ducks alright, but they'd be half plucked and eaten by the time the owner got the duck away from the dog.:biggrin: Just my opinion but then again I'm partial to labs.

Here is my Yellow Labrador Nash at 11 months. Just so people know one of those ducks was my father's. The bag limit back east is 6 in your possession.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3nash_opening_day_2.jpg

Boo
11-16-2005, 11:31 AM

God no! LoL :p

I have worked with 2 of these beasts before and unless you have lots of experience these little red-devils will leave you ripping your hair out.

Hell, what am I sayin, even if you have lots of experience with dogs these will leave you shell-shocked unless YOU adapt to their method of hunting, which is unique to say the least. They are not by any means an upland dog and most are only passable retrievers. They are bred for the main purpose of running around in circles while throwing sticks in the air or in other words Tolling.

Ddog
11-16-2005, 11:54 AM
definately a labrador retriever, i own a yellow lab and he is the most awesome dog for retrieving downed birds.there is nothing he wont go through to get the bird. he is awesome with kids (loves them) loves to be a part of the family. i never did teach him to point although i know it is possible. he is fantastic at flushing birds out.

mainland hunter
11-16-2005, 12:04 PM
i've heard that their hyperness actually draws the ducks closer for some reason, i'll admit i don't know a tonne about em but they look cool

Marc
11-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Trust me all they do is piss you off I've huntined for geese and the dog decides to jump out of the blind just as the geese were getting into range trust me it didn't attract the birds at all.

Barracuda
11-16-2005, 12:11 PM
any of the utilty breeds are good . The fact that you said pointing limits the search (pointing is an inherited gene)
As for Labs be very selective with bloodlines , (we prefer the english style labs especially yellow ones ) There are so many people that breed them just because they are in demand and they can get away with high prices without people ever questioning the liniage, that some of the genetics are really questionable.
you can find a good registered dogs or at the very least awell bred well trained gun dog with a cold nose and a good temperment in many breeds.
And dont fall for the old salesman line that "you get what you pay for" because people overpay for dogs all the time because they have emotion dictating the purchase .
Find someone that bred the dog because they wanted stock and they have a few extra to sell (remember if the breeders don't want a pup then perhaps you don't) . good luck

MB_Boy
11-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Although not a great pointer.....but ours have flushed birds in the past.....I would always vote for a female Cheasepeake. Outstanding water dogs.....great retrievers on land or in water.....and the females have a great disposition.

Islandeer
11-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Labs are your best allround choice. I was raised with Germanshorthairs which we all loved during grouse season,the rest of the year they were heel on wheels!! I own two labs,one choclate and one black. they are amazing retrievers and the black bitch really handles the upland stuff well. Oh yeah they are super family members as well. I can help hook you up with some excellant breeders... goggle up "Heads Up Kennels" or "TNT" kennels.Good luck.PS stay away from the tollers

Sasquatch
11-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. They point, retrieve, track, make great pets and they don't shed!

Sasquatch

oldtimer
11-20-2005, 07:59 AM
Owned 4 Black Labs over the years. Best Damm dogs ever !!! but like other people say , never seen one point. Flush like hell, best retriever bar none and best family dog going. Mike

Borcagu
11-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Thank you guys I do appreciate your imput.It will take some more time and research but I think it is going to be a lab.One more time thank you all.Regards,Borcagu

farside
12-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Skip the lab and go with a GSP. They are a little loony until they hit about 1.5 to 2 yrs but even then they still work great. And amazing with the kids like you wouldn't believe.

They are short haired and they don't stink like a lab can. Ours points on sight/smell and flushes on command, loves the water, excellent retriever and has a very soft mouth. Got him from an RCMP in Mission about 10 yrs ago. VERY easy to train as the desire to please is strong in this breed. This "please" factor is so strong that he has been trained to leave the chickens alone and doesn't even point them. That training only took about 2 weeks but he had the idea in the 1st couple of days. Bird dog that likes his chicken buddies (4 yrs. and no mistakes).

It is almost time to start looking for a new one as our big guy is now a senior dog. Would like to get the new one and have the old guy help train him up.

Islandeer
12-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Though i am a lab guy the german that my Dad had did it all-upland,ducks geese,even turkeys. there are some lab lines that will point,and you can train a good lab to hold steady so you can get into position. guess it's up to you!!

harbinger
12-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Another breed to research is the Brittany Spaniel. They are a pointing breed, awesome family pets/ members and great hunters. Their coats are SUPER low maintenance, they do not smell and are small enough to sit in the front of the vehicle or on the couch or sleep in your bed if your wife is so inclined. My dog is very gentle with kids of all shapes and sizes and all she wants to do is please us. She has been incredibly easy to train as well. Definatley look into these dogs as well they are definatly worth investigating.

BowsUp
12-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Get a lab. They will push cover that other dogs will shun , like heavy blackberry. My yellow has pointed pheasant, thank God I had a witness because the first time i didn't believe what I was seeing. Be aware that in purchasing field trial stock you may end up with a dog that's hyper and a handful to train.

Do NOT start the dog on upland birds if you want it to sit in a duck blind too. The fun of flushing makes it hard for the dog to accept the boredom of sitting still waiting for flights and he will let you know all about his unhappiness.

Mooseman
12-15-2005, 01:55 PM
I know it is a stupid question but I would like to hear from you experianced hunters...
I do not have much choice but to have only one dog for hunting ... so having said that my question is:
"What would be the best , in your opinion , universal hunting dog"?
I would like to have a dog for duck (retriver) and upland bird hunting (retriver and pointing) and at the same time to be a good dog with kids at home?"
Thank you all for your time.
Regards,
Borcagu

Most hunting dogs are good with kids. Give the dog a save-place to his own where he can retreat to and rest. You need to look at the history of dogs and how the protectors got separated from the hunters and then the hunters got bread for specific types of hunting. Once you know what your needs are, there are breeds that will fit that description. From these specific breeds then you can look at the different characteristics that might fit your environment.

DK (German Shorthair), DD (German Wirehair), DL (German Longhair), DS (Deutsch Stichelhaar), GM (Grosser Muensterlaender), KM (Kleiner Muensterlaender), PP (Pudelpointer), Gordon Setter.
Are some of the breeds that I would consider in your case. If you know more exactly what you are looking for and what characteristics you like and dislike that would be of help to pinpoint a breed.

Borcagu
12-26-2005, 11:44 PM
I am more confused now than I was at the beggining.I guess I will have to sit down and decide what do I really want as a first step and after that do more research on dogs.Anyhow I thank you all for good advices.Borcagu

craigchaplin
01-31-2006, 09:42 PM
get a lab. great dogs easy to train and not anywhere near as hyper as the other breeds. . their great with kids and family and great outdoors dogs in the boat ,hunting, hiking, camping etc. whatever you want them ta do. mine even keeps me company while fishin.

Ozone
01-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Black labs rule!! Although never trained for retriving or pointing she does both. The pointing is towards her food bowl and the retriving is anything I throw but what other dog will sleep beside you while a deer walks up to you and not care in the least(this happened to me). The best freind I've ever had.

kokkopheasant
08-31-2006, 01:06 AM
german short hair pointer is very good dog also good with kids

kokkopheasant
08-31-2006, 01:21 AM
8-) I would like if some out their like to hunt pheasants,quail,chukar, grouse with hunting dogs. I have very good pointing dogs just need a good hunting partner and place to go.

The 'Hummer'
08-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Yuo can actually get labs that are bred to be pointers if you can believe that. They have a heavier insulated coat for retrieving ducks in cold water conditions. It's also hard to beat a lab as a family dog. They love kids and being part of a family unit.

Marc.

I've had GSP & GWP, both great dogs. The GSP, on upland birds worked closer then say an EP, good nose, a tender mouth and a great family dog besides. GWP were much the same but had a coat that could handle the cold water better. Both, however, could be somewhat 'bone headed'.

I now have a Yellow Lab. She's a great dog and suprisingly, I have noticed her pointing on a number of occasions. In a previous thread, I made mention that she had Cryptococcus. Shes fine now but after the procedure on her nasal passage, the smell ability is diminished considerably. Oh well, at least I still have my dog, a great companion so I can live with that.

BlacktailStalker
08-31-2006, 10:02 AM
Look into silver labs. They are a classic lab with all the great traits but in a unique silver colour like a weimeraner.

GoatGuy
08-31-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm definitely not much of a dog guy but I've got a chocolate and she works great.

She's hunted everything and been in on dozens of kills except whities and sheep. She loves chasing bears, is good on upland, done a little waterfowl and has pointed on quail.

She has a great nose and has even run with hounds for bears.

She packs her own food, is always ready to go hunting, only barks when absolutely necessary and goes everywhere with me-probably the best hunting partner a person could ever ask for.

Elkhound
09-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Trust me all they do is piss you off I've huntined for geese and the dog decides to jump out of the blind just as the geese were getting into range trust me it didn't attract the birds at all.

Now this had me laughing all the way to the end of the thread...lol

DeerHunter101
11-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Well most dogs are good with family, it's just how you socialize them I think. But I have an english pointer cross german shorthair. She is great for everything you need. English pointers can be a handfull because of their hyper nature, but I find that my dog is great with the family.