PDA

View Full Version : sitting and shooting

westhoyt
03-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Do you guys practice shooting in the sitting position? I am thinking tat if I was sitting in my stand it would be better not to stand up when game comes along.

jrjonesy
03-31-2009, 09:11 PM
I will always shoot from a sitting position from my stand if I can. The first thing I do is immediately assess the situation. I usually set up so that my most likely shot is to my right, which means minimal movement. If the deer is coming from an area or possibly traveling in a direction that will put it on my left, I will immediately stand up. If possible I will swing my legs out to the right to take a sitting shot that presents itself in front of me. Overall it reduces my movement, makes me feel more secure and steady when shooting. I do practice shooting in both kneeling and sitting positions but not frequently. I've found that by keeping my form, I've never had a different point of impact influenced by sitting or standing.

Ron.C
04-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Same for me,

I can sit and shoot out of my treestand very well, and will prefer to shoot sitting over standing if I can get away with it. But that's the kicker. I'm a right handed shot so I can shoot to my left and in front while sitting, but anything to my right I stand to avoid twisting awkwardly.

huntwriter
04-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Do you guys practice shooting in the sitting position? I am thinking tat if I was sitting in my stand it would be better not to stand up when game comes along.

Absolutely! Not only sitting but also kneeling, leaning against or around the tree, bending the upper body back to shot at a deer coming from behind the stand. All of my year round archery practice is done by shooting in every imaginable hunting scenario.

J_T
04-01-2009, 08:10 AM
I spend most of my time standing in the stand. I think all of my shots have been from a standing position. But I do practise a variety of contortionist positions.

westhoyt
04-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks , will be practicing from a sitting position.