PDA

View Full Version : today in the marsh

dave
11-12-2005, 08:50 PM
We had a pretty good day in the marsh today. Seemed to be some larger flights moving around. Might have been northern birds moving through or just larger bunches returning out of some of the flooded fields. There seemed to good numbers of birds moving all day (well up to 1:00 when we packed it in).

Dano
11-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Great to hear, Dave. You're making me wobble on where to go tommorrow....
My buddy Brian is joining us tommorrow and never hunted a field before so I guess I'll stick with that. We did limit on Mallards today but both shot well, I was a little surprised at myself as I've been struggling lately and took 3 stitches to the trigger finger at work thursday (it was sore,..but in a good way:smile: ).
Thanks for the report, I'll hit the marsh next week.
Dano

Dano
11-13-2005, 01:33 PM
The cornfield was excellent today. Had some big flocks come in and had a high of 5 down from one flight!
Can't wait for next week.
Danohttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/maddy9.JPG

Dirty
11-13-2005, 01:35 PM
nice labs, were u using the mojo?

Dano
11-13-2005, 02:18 PM
We were using a Mojo and about 10 mallard decoys. Had a few birds try and set or set out of range but I've found that a lot of our shots are at birds that circle over and aren't fully committed to land.
One thing about field shooting, you see a flock and call hard and they cup their wings right away and circle in. In the marsh I've found a lot of bigger flocks just keep on going by without a second look....
The dog on the left is my buddy Dan's 8 year old named Misty. My dog Maddy is just over 3 and does a lot of the retrieves as Misty had an operation to repair a loose "knee" joint. Both excellent retrivers and a pleasure to watch work!

Dirty
11-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Went out tonight and we smacked 14 mallards and 1 widgeon between 3 of us. We should have shot our limit but we're still shaking the rust off. The Skyscraper robo duck in combination with 20 decoys worked quite well. The ducks are definitely around right now.

Dano
11-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Went out tonight and we smacked 14 mallards and 1 widgeon between 3 of us. We should have shot our limit but we're still shaking the rust off. The Skyscraper robo duck in combination with 20 decoys worked quite well. The ducks are definitely around right now.

Sounds like you had a good shoot too. Where were you, field or marsh?
Dano

Dirty
11-14-2005, 02:01 PM
In a field

Tarp Man
11-14-2005, 11:36 PM
WOW! You guys are really hammering them. Nice looking dogs too! My dad just got a chocolate lab and is wanting me to train him for hunting. I don't have the time or know how to do this but it sure is fun to bust grouse with him!
-Tarp Man

Thunderstix
11-15-2005, 07:59 AM
Gotta love those dogs as well...sniff, makes me miss mine.

Beaver Skin
11-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi Dave, Just wanted to say thanks again for allowing me to tag along! It was a great day - my first time duck hunting and now I'm hooked! I have to say it's alot easier to deal with a duck than a moose when the hunt is successful!

dave
11-16-2005, 12:39 AM

Since we are talking about dogs I thought I would throw in a picture of Diesel. This is his first season and he is doing pretty well. Of course I'm not the least bias.

(Hope this picture thing works)